If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cambridge minx tv / similar soundbar

Options
  • 01-07-2014 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking at installing a soundbar/plinth like the Cambridge above. One question I have re connectivity and sound. I watch a lot of programmes via my laptop which is connected through HDMI to my TV set. Will the Cambridge unit be able to broadcast the sound from the laptop when used in this way? If not can you recommend something similar that will work?

Thanks.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi,

I'm looking at installing a soundbar/plinth like the Cambridge above.  One question I have re connectivity and sound. I watch a lot of programmes via my laptop which is connected through HDMI to my TV set. Will the Cambridge unit be able to broadcast the sound from the laptop when used in this way? If not can you recommend something similar that will work?

Thanks.
    Hi Blonde,

Thanks for getting in touch.

2 of the best sound plinths at the moment would be the Minx TV and the Canton DM50 both tick the box for what you're after too.  

If your laptop is connected via HDMI to your TV then you'll be grand.  If your TV has an optical output then just use this to connect your TV to the sound plinth.  Or you could connect your laptop via the headphone output, best to use the optical on the TV if you can though :)

between the 2 I'd have to say the Canton is the way to go.  Much more power and a nice kick from the sub, also has Bluetooth too so will allow streaming.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/soundbars/canton/dm-50/cant-dm50-blk

The Minx TV was the way to go, and it still an excellent choice if you're wanting to keep the budget down.  Sounds great and offers Bluetooth streaming too.

Let me know what you think.

Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

Hi,

I'm looking at installing a soundbar/plinth like the Cambridge above.  One question I have re connectivity and sound. I watch a lot of programmes via my laptop which is connected through HDMI to my TV set. Will the Cambridge unit be able to broadcast the sound from the laptop when used in this way? If not can you recommend something similar that will work?

Thanks.
    Hi Blonde,

Thanks for getting in touch.

2 of the best sound plinths at the moment would be the Minx TV and the Canton DM50 both tick the box for what you're after too.  

If your laptop is connected via HDMI to your TV then you'll be grand.  If your TV has an optical output then just use this to connect your TV to the sound plinth.  Or you could connect your laptop via the headphone output, best to use the optical on the TV if you can though :)

between the 2 I'd have to say the Canton is the way to go.  Much more power and a nice kick from the sub, also has Bluetooth too so will allow streaming.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/soundbars/canton/dm-50/cant-dm50-blk

The Minx TV was the way to go, and it still an excellent choice if you're wanting to keep the budget down.  Sounds great and offers Bluetooth streaming too.

Let me know what you think.

Chris
    Thanks Chris, I do like the sound of the Canton but 399 is a little over my budget to be honest. I'd imagine the Cambridge Audio would be the best fit in terms of budget/quality although I would love to actually hear it in person before purchasing.

Another bar that has come up in searches is the Onkyo LSB50 - what are your thoughts on this versus the Cambridge? Another potential downside to the cambridge is the inability to adjust the audio eq - bass, treble etc. I would be hoping to use the unit as a music streaming device also so ideally would like to be able to adjust the sound.

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi Blonde, the Onkyo is totally the way to if you don't mind having a bar rather than a plinth. The bass from this system is seriously good although you do have a separate subwoofer do contend with. This is wireless so can go anywhere in the room.

I think this is one of the best deals that we have on a bar at the moment and the Onkyo would be my choice over the Cambridge for the extra spends.

The Cambridge is a a great one box solution but having a separate subwoofer does provide the extra impact.

Hope that helps.

ATB

Dave

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.