Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Outdoor, condensing boiler

• 01-07-2014 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Hi,
    we are buying a house and I got a plumber to do an inspection for me.
    He says the boiler is long time gone and need to go to a happy place

I do trust the guy but I would like to get info , for myself more than anything.. at least not to sound/look totally stupid when i talk to him

The condensing boiler seem to be the way to go.. and as far as I understand a 27Kw>35Kw will do for me (110 sq meters, 2 floors, C3, 1 main bathroom wih shower)

I ve seen many models on line.. I ve been told Firebird are really good (but expensive)

I just would like to have ideas and suggestions..

Bolier Spec:

I came accross a Vortex Condensing Boiler House range
    Grant 90-120,000Btu/hr (26-36kw) at €1,177.00

High efficiency SEDBUK & HARP ‘A’ rating
    Suitable for balanced or conventional flue application
    Features a Riello RDB Burner
    Compact design supplied with factory fitted blue insulated jacket
    Fully approved to OFTEC Standard and EC directives
    One year manufacturer’s warranty with five year warranty on boiler heat exchanger
    Whisper quiet operation

SEDBUK/HARP EFFICIENCY 92.6% to 97%

Model Outputs:
    90-120,000Btu/hr (26-36kw)

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

You will find that most of the lads here would go with the Grant, though I personally find most of the popular makes of HE boilers good. The really important thing in your case is to make sure that you are not putting a lovely new boiler onto a dirty system. You need to make sure your system had been properly power flushed or you will have your boiler working like a 10 year old one in just a few months. Use this opportunity to upgrade controls and install zones if not already done. Insulate all exposed pipework. Make sure no leaks. Add inhibitor and you will have many good years of trouble free service.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭turniton

Understood Wearb, thanks a mill

just had a quick look online.. companies that do power flush cost between €400>€500, would that be correct?

That sounds about right. I know most people think this is very expensive, but if done correctly it is certainly worth it. That is if you have any other problems, such as leaks sorted out before fitting the boiler. The main thing is not to have fresh water being introduced into your heating system after initial filling.
    Someone on boards might be able to recommend someone in Galway. There are a few chancers out there. If all else fails, contact your boiler manufacturer for a recommendation.

I ve another question (which might be stupid, but I ve to ask)

would the power flushing cause the radiotors to spit out a bit of dirty water?...

I m planning to do the all second floor (new laminate floor), so should I wait until the power flushing has been done, to avoid any problem?

turniton wrote: »

would the power flushing cause the radiotors to spit out a bit of dirty water?...

I m planning to do the all second floor (new laminate floor), so should I wait until the power flushing has been done, to avoid any problem?

It would not cause them to "spit out" onto the floor (unless they are leaking already). If done correctly, it should remove any gunk built up in them. There should not be too much sludge, as it would indicate a plumbing problem that you would need to sort out before fitting the new boiler. I would prefer to have all the associated work done before fitting any flooring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

turniton wrote: »

Make sure whoever you get uses quality chemicals. Fernox, kamco or sentinel would be the better ones

Thank you both guys.
    The plan is coming together...
    while my pocket gets smaller and smaller

Advertisement