Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple products in Limerick?

• 01-07-2014 11:04am

I have an Ion Icade and am trying to decide whether to replace the HP Touchpad I am using on it with an iPad 4. Basically the main plus the iPad has is the display which is about four times higher res than the Touchpad. There are also other minor advantages like the fact the iPad is thinner and would fit more snugly with the iCade (obviously since the iCade was built expressly for it!).

So if I'm going to lash out about €400+ for a better display I would like to see how good it is first. I've never owned an Apple product before. And so my question is is there anywhere in Limerick I can simply inspect and see an iPad 4?

All that I can come up with is some CompuB crowd that might be still on O'Connell street (although they've probably closed like everyone else!). Heck I don't even know whether I should stick with the Touchpad...I mean Pac Man and Space Invaders probably look as good as they ever are on the Touchpad!

Thanks for any help! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

They have them in Harvey Normans as well as far as I know. compub is still open.
    Personally I don't do Apple at all, so I;m not the best person to ask. Having to use itunes is enough to turn me off.
    If you use an iphone it might be worth it but if you use windows machines and Android phones for example I wouldn't go the Apple route at all.
    If it was me i'd buy a nexus 7, or if you can get one a nexus 10. Great devices.

Yup I'm the same mate. Unfortunately the Nexus 7 (which I have) is too small for my tastes and I think (not 100% sure) the Nexus 10 would be too big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

CompuB is still open and they have the whole range on display for a user to test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Having had both android and ios devices, and an iCade, I can guarantee you, you will not regret an iPad, the apps are just so much better on that retina display, android apps, especially the tablet apps are muck by comparison, plus alot more available then on google play

lol they'd bloody want to be with the prices involved mate! :D I checked the Apple store (including the refurbished), Amazon and eBay and eBay seems to be the best value. I found a black 64gb iPad 4 for €450 which I think is the going rate. Only thing is I've found eBay a bit crap for phones so I'm wondering if it's the same for tablets. Looks a bit too good to be true really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

lol they'd bloody want to be with the prices involved mate! :D I checked the Apple store (including the refurbished), Amazon and eBay and eBay seems to be the best value. I found a black 64gb iPad 4 for €450 which I think is the going rate. Only thing is I've found eBay a bit crap for phones so I'm wondering if it's the same for tablets. Looks a bit too good to be true really.

You are paying a premium there for space - do you really need 64gb??
    I get by fine with 16gb - don't think it's even half full.
    You can also use dropbox etc.

Would you not put your extra money towards the Air - get longer out of it, resale value etc.

This is a good site for watching prices of refurbs - will alert you when refurbs are back in stock.

While Apple products are expensive - they also keep their value well. I sold a 3 year old iPad 2 for over half what I paid for it.

Thank you for your reply. I'm leaning towards 64gb as the mame romset is 22gb and I have about 8gb of comics that I might want to keep on it...not really sure if I will but it'd be nice to have the option mate. An iPad Air? Well it's not listed as being compatible with the iCade (not saying it isn't I'm just playing it safe) but it might be as it was simply not around when the iCade debuted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Thank you for your reply. I'm leaning towards 64gb as the mame romset is 22gb and I have about 8gb of comics that I might want to keep on it...not really sure if I will but it'd be nice to have the option mate. An iPad Air? Well it's not listed as being compatible with the iCade (not saying it isn't I'm just playing it safe) but it might be as it was simply not around when the iCade debuted.

Apologies Kimora Nutritious Backyard - only after reading up on the iCade (fancy piece of kit!).
    In that case iPad 4 would suit your needs if it's primary use is in the iCade.

Hey no need to apologise. I had been watching the refurbs store (but not through your link). For some reason black 64gb ipad 4s are thin on the ground. Closest is usually a 128gb version (overkill) or a 64gb wifi+cellular one (which I don't need and is more expensive that the 128gb!).
    Hey guess I'll just keep watching out! What else can I do? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

An iPad Air? Well it's not listed as being compatible with the iCade (not saying it isn't I'm just playing it safe) but it might be as it was simply not around when the iCade debuted.
    I have the iPad air, and yes it works with out issue with icade, ...the icade is just a Bluetooth keyboard as far as the ipad is concerned, def get the air if you can, I had the iPad 4 previously, its a block by comparison :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement