Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoo Peeling

Options
  • 01-07-2014 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭

I got a tattoo on Saturday and it says to clean the area with warm soapy water for the first 4 days and apply cream etc.

Problem is, It says don't pick/peel the area also, I haven't done that but when I wash the area some of the peels of skin are coming off?

Should I be worried or is this just what happens?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

byrneg28 wrote: »
    Should I be worried or is this just what happens?

That's just what happens.

http://tattoo.about.com/cs/tatfaq/f/peelingflaking.htm
    Question: Why is my Tattoo Peeling and Flaking Off?

Answer: Peeling and flaking of a new tattoo is perfectly normal. Before it actually begins to peel, the tattoo will look like it's covered with a whitish, cracking film. Then you'll see white or translucent flakes of old, dead skin start to peel off and some of the flakes may even contain some ink. Sometimes you can actually see a duplicate image of part of your tattoo peeling off - it's rather disconcerting, but it is also perfectly normal and there is no need to panic. It's a lot like a snake shedding its skin. Just add a little lotion (a LITTLE) to the tattoo to help keep it moist and encourage those flakes to come off. Do NOT scratch, pick or peel them. It will all be done in a few days and the color of your tattoo will start to return to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Completely normal don't be worrying. So long as you're keeping it clean it'll be fine. Bepanthen (nappy rash cream) helps with the healing so it might be worth picking up a tube of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

P_1 wrote: »
    Completely normal don't be worrying. So long as you're keeping it clean it'll be fine. Bepanthen (nappy rash cream) helps with the healing so it might be worth picking up a tube of it

Thanks guys, yes I am using Bepanthen evenly across it to keep it moisturized!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Yeah, you'll always get little bits of skin coming away both when you're washing it and when you're applying the bepanthen. It's perfectly normal, and is simply the skin healing itself after the traumatic experience of being tattooed!
    It's somewhat akin to sunburn, where the skin will crack and peel as it sheds the outer layers.
    You shouldn't pick or peel the skin intentionally, as this can pull off bits of skin that aren't ready to come off, somewhat like picking a scab, you could just make things worse! If it's ready to come off, it'll come off naturally when you're washing/moisturising it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

If it's ready to come off, it'll come off naturally when you're washing/moisturising it.

Or in the shower and it scares the hell out of you! :pac: Like something out of a George Romero zombie movie.

• Advertisement
Advertisement