Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Underrated classic games

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Totally agree with Banjo Kazooie. It just got a bit lost with Mario 64

Edit: This thread has me listening to the ActRaiser soundtrack. I was debating whether it was "underrated" but came to a conclusion that it wasn't and that I needed to listen to the great soundtrack to be certain!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

gubbie wrote: »
    Totally agree with Banjo Kazooie. It just got a bit lost with Mario 64

Are you serious? It was one of the biggest games on the N64 tonnes of hype for it. Hardly underrated either. It wasn't as good as Mario 64 but a damn fine game anyway.

I thought BK was better than Mario 64

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Cool Boarders 2 on the PS. I played this so much when I got it back in the day. Great game to play as a 2 player. I was quite possibly inebriated anytime I played it back in the late 90s so I'm not sure the fuzzy feeling I have about it is the afterglow of nostalgia or memory loss.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I thought BK was better than Mario 64

I found BK very inconsistent. There's some great levels in it but there's some absolute howlers as well. That oil tanker level in particular. Mario 64 is just gold the whole way through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Mario 64 is just gold the whole way through.

Dire Dire Docks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

would love to see Mario 64 on Wii u vc. have it on the Wii but on the gamepad be lovely!

Cormac... wrote: »
    Dire Dire Docks

Absolutely love that level. One of the best in the game for me!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,652 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Mario 64 ruined it for everyone, by being superb and sublime in every regard, well bar the camera, but it at least it allowed user control when things got hairy.
    Banjo is lovely but just more mouth and less trousers, and the collect'em up thing got tiring very fast, I had enough of that sort of thing with Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy! And don't even get me started on how they made that even worse with Banjo Tooie.
    That said, both Banjo games are like high art compared to the brainless sludge that is DK64, terrible collecting game, just awful.

I need Mario 64 on my 3DS, not the DS one, a conversion of the N64 title, they don't even have to render it in stereoscopic 3D if they don't want to, also, how about Pilotwings 64 as well, and why not bump the frame rate into double figures while you're at it!

• Advertisement

Not sure if its been mentioned but Dragon's Dogma is superb. Capcom are idiots not putting it out on PC since it would go down a storm with the PC crowd (and fix the awful framerates). It's basically Skyrim but not boring and a combat system that's actually fun. The game is crying out for a sequel. It sold decent figures and reviewed ok but Capcom themselves need to realise what a good franchise they potentially have on hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

I'm hoping deep down builds upon dragons dogmas ideas. Really enjoyed it but couldn't bring myself to continue on after the endgame.

Danonino. wrote: »
    I'm hoping deep down builds upon dragons dogmas ideas. Really enjoyed it but couldn't bring myself to continue on after the endgame.

You missed out, the game only gets better in the end game, in fact I'd say that's the meat of the game. Thought the expansion in Dark Arisen was excellent as well.

I'm hoping deep down is good as well but then heard its going to be free to play or something... Not sure that will work out.

Yeah, I should of said I played a bit of the end game but couldn't get sucked in. Big ass dragon down in a tower I remember. The dark arisen I keep meaning to pick up :)

Deep down sounded amazing until the whole Assassins creed future past nonsense and free to play. Hopefully it turns out a winner though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Not sure if its been mentioned but Dragon's Dogma is superb. Capcom are idiots not putting it out on PC since it would go down a storm with the PC crowd (and fix the awful framerates). It's basically Skyrim but not boring and a combat system that's actually fun. The game is crying out for a sequel. It sold decent figures and reviewed ok but Capcom themselves need to realise what a good franchise they potentially have on hand.

I've struggled to get into it. Played roughly 2-3 hours of it. Might try and get back into it at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Its worth it, once you've completed the first few missions its great! So many ways to play... Needed more dragons though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,313 ✭✭✭✭briany

I must be the only person who wasn't overly enthused by Mario 64 when I first played it. It's not that I thought it was a bad game, but I found it jarring to suddenly have Mario sometimes just tooling around in a big open world unsure of what to do next.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,652 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The levels are hubs themselves, a trend followed by later 3D Mario games as well.
    The "what to do is normally well sign posted tbh, typically a NPC loitering near the entrance giving you the heads up on whatever is expected and of you in the upcoming level.
    And, as mentioned before, Mario 64 is almost unassailable, a rare almost perfect videogame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,387 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

briany wrote: »
    I must be the only person who wasn't overly enthused by Mario 64 when I first played it. It's not that I thought it was a bad game, but I found it jarring to suddenly have Mario sometimes just tooling around in a big open world unsure of what to do next.

Nope, I wasn't a fan either. Still amen't now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,313 ✭✭✭✭briany

o1s1n wrote: »

I like the game, now. I liked it then as well, it's just that I wasn't bowled over by it immediately. It took a little while for me to get into Mario's new 3D space and appreciate what Nintendo were doing. That said, it still wasn't my favourite n64 game or anything. I need to fire up the n64 emulator now because nothing beats a meditative game of Pilotwings...until you realise your save file is missing, that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,748 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I enjoyed Dragon's Dogma 10x more than the Souls games.

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I enjoyed Dragon's Dogma 10x more than the Souls games.

Noob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,748 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Noob.
    Salty runback, FT10 any version of SFIV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

That game blew my 14 year old mind when I played it. It was like the future had arrived, it was amazing. It was also one of my last experiences of being really really excited about getting to play a game, and then the game actually exceeding expectation. I don't think theres a square inch of Mario 64 I didn't explore ten times over.

Amen't?
    You taste in games is as bad as your spelling and grammar! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 el pibe

nowt wrong with amn't ;)

"You taste in.." Classic case of Muphry's Law :)

I hate amn't

Not sure what amen't is (anti prayer??)

I just found it boring with watery controls

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Amen't?
    You taste in games is as bad as your spelling and grammar! ;)

Ye wha? mentaller :P

Amen't is a perfectly good word (which traces back to 1618 according to mirriam -webster. :phttp://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/amn%27t)

'Is not' / 'Isn't'
    'Am not' / Amen't'

The only difference in the above two is that 'amen't' adds an extra 'e' to link the two words together whereas 'isn't' skips this for whatever reason.

The main reason I didn't like Mario 64 on release is that I found third person platforming didn't work. I didn't like Mario Sunshine either.

IMO Nintendo didn't really make it work until the Galaxy games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Dragons Dogma is my chosen game for Christmas at the parents so really glad to hear that, it completely passed me by at the time, never even saw the thread for it here on Boards either and now I cant wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

Ye wha? mentaller :P

Amen't is a perfectly good word (which traces back to 1618 according to mirriam -webster. :phttp://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/amn%27t)

'Is not' / 'Isn't'
    'Am not' / Amen't'

The only difference in the above two is that 'amen't' adds an extra 'e' to link the two words together whereas 'isn't' skips this for whatever reason.

The main reason I didn't like Mario 64 on release is that I found third person platforming didn't work. I didn't like Mario Sunshine either.

IMO Nintendo didn't really make it work until the Galaxy games.

Um. It's "amn't". The e is only there in the phonetic spelling. Not a commonly used word anymore outside of speech.

I wasn't a fan of Mario 64, camera ruined it for me. I may have been spoiled by Small Soldiers on the PS One which I played first.

Dragon's Dogma is a brilliant game, though it drags a fair bit at the start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Horse84

Black on ps2. Very underrated shooter

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I think someone here might say it's overrated :P

That said I did love that game. Remember really enjoying it. I remember there being a bit of hype regarding it and it reviewed pretty well.

There was never a sequel was there? I loved the way they had the destructible walls which u could destroy with gunfire. There was one level in particular where the lighting was very well done. The story wasn't bad either with some of the Intel being picked up being very interesting for nerds like me lol

Horse84 wrote: »
    Black on ps2. Very underrated shooter
    God yeah, played it on Xbox, absolutely jaw-dropping tbh, no idea why a bigger deal wasnt made out of it.

It was a year after the 360 came out iirc, and pretty much the excitement for the PS3 killed its hype a bit. Was a very impressive looking game too.

Yeah it was all about the graphics tbh although the gameplay was solid. I remember being in an abandoned farmhouse in Russia or somewhere with buildings on fire, incredible smoke and snow effects etc, it was a 360 game running on the first Xbox. That and Half Life 2 were probably that systems best games.

Sorry lads but I found Black to be horribly dull and overrated. I'd rather have played Halo which was way superior.

But it wasn't overrrated. It was a long time ago but I don't remember hype about it at all?

Sorry lads but I found Black to be horribly dull and overrated. I'd rather have played Halo which was way superior.

That's like comparing apples to oranges. I'll debate this tomorrow haven't time now.

• Advertisement

But it wasn't overrrated. It was a long time ago but I don't remember hype about it at all?

Well sales wise it only did ok but a lot of reviews were very good, disproportionately so in my opinion.
    M!Ck^ wrote: »
    That's like comparing apples to oranges. I'll debate this tomorrow haven't time now.

Not really, one is way better than the other. It just felt like to me people that had no experience of good FPS games really liked it but there were far better examples on other formats (and even the PS2, Coldwinter for example) and it only really got the hype for the good graphics.

Well sales wise it only did ok but a lot of reviews were very good, disproportionately so in my opinion.

Not really, one is way better than the other. It just felt like to me people that had no experience of good FPS games really liked it but there were far better examples on other formats (and even the PS2, Coldwinter for example) and it only really got the hype for the good graphics.

Trust me I've 25 plus years experience of fps games on about every format u can imagine and I thought it was good lol

Yay for Cold winter!

I remember a buzz amongst friends for it. I never really enjoyed fps games and still don't outside of some occasional multiplayer, even then I need to be sitting with someone taking turns. They usually bore the hell out of me. So I never really played it. I remember it being over the top with destruction, bullets and looking gorgeous.

I seem to be bored by FPS, Fifa and GTA type games... Which makes me a bit of a niche market ha ha. I have been playing theough GTA 5 on the ps4 though and surprisingly its holding my attention. Usually I give up when the 9th or 10th mission is another drive 5 minutes, watch cutscene, drive for 10 minutes to yellow dot, kill red dots, escape police, crash car, run 10 minutes, hijack car, escape police, drive 10 minutes, watch cutscene.. zzzzzzzzzzzz

Master of the Universe

Trust me I've 25 plus years experience of fps games on about every format u can imagine and I thought it was good lol

Elderly people love the likes of The Late Late Show and Winning Streak.

What does this tell you? That experience means bugger all when it comes to taste :pac:

Black was a bog standard FPS game with some shiny graphics. I bought it on release and was bored after a couple of hours.

It was overrated, there was a TV ad pushing it and everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Toom3y7

i know you were asking about PS2. but anyone ever give Alundra a go on the PS1?!? so underrated, spent hours on it. :)

• Advertisement

What does this tell you? That experience means bugger all when it comes to taste :pac:

Black was a bog standard FPS game with some shiny graphics. I bought it on release and was bored after a couple of hours.

In all fairness Retrogamer mentioned that only people with no FPS experience liked it

Thats a load of balls, Ive played probably every FPS worth playing since Doom and I knew it was something special on the first mission, mostly for the graphics though.

Toom3y7 wrote: »
    i know you were asking about PS2. but anyone ever give Alundra a go on the PS1?!? so underrated, spent hours on it. :)

Alundra is a stone cold classic. Wonderful game that more people need to play and a great Zelda clone. The guys that made it were ex squaresoft guys and have made great games since as well.
    Thargor wrote: »
    Thats a load of balls, Ive played probably every FPS worth playing since Doom and I knew it was something special on the first mission, mostly for the graphics though.

Graphics don't make a good game.

I'm not that old lol. Don't remember the tv ad at all. Still think it was very underrated and not at all bog standard but each to their own

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I recently got Black on the XBOX (mainly because it had a decent reputation and it cost about two Euro). It's pretty, at least the bits that aren't so dark you can't see, but there's not too much too it. There's great action and you can't shoot anything without it exploding and causing a chain reaction of secondary explosions. It's like a Michael bay film, loud, dumb, full of spectacle but with little substance. It certainly has it's place but it's probably more of a guilty pleasure than a classic.

Someone said it was a 360 game squeezed onto an original XBOX. Just...just no.

• Advertisement
Advertisement