Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deported from Australia-Clearing US immigration

Options
  • 01-07-2014 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I was deported from Australia last year as I was on a holiday visa but had been minding children for a family I knew from home.
    I am planning a one week holiday to New York in October. Just wondering will I have any problems clearing U.S.immigration?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

You shouldn't have any issues - however if on your passport, you have a big "deported" stamp from Australia, you'll probably have to answer a few questions from the border guards

A worst case scenario is that you get a guard that thinks you'd do it again in the US and you could be barred from entering. However if you bring enough proof that you're just visiting, show ties to Ireland and that you have a return flight etc - you should be OK

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Phelan66

You shouldn't have any issues - however if on your passport, you have a big "deported" stamp from Australia, you'll probably have to answer a few questions from the border guards

A worst case scenario is that you get a guard that thinks you'd do it again in the US and you could be barred from entering. However if you bring enough proof that you're just visiting, show ties to Ireland and that you have a return flight etc - you should be OK

Thanks for that.there is no deported stamp in my passport.do u think I would b better off declaring the fact I've been deported or keeping quiet and hoping for the best?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,946 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Well i would imagine none of their questions would be
    'Have you been deported from Australia'

So no dont offer it up. Unless specifically asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

the general rule with US immigration:

Don't answer any questions that you haven't been asked. So unless they raise your status in Oz, don't raise it either

That's not to say that you should lie - it's just if follow their lead, if they ask you something - answer it and nothing more

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Phelan66 wrote: »
    Thanks for that.there is no deported stamp in my passport.do u think I would b better off declaring the fact I've been deported or keeping quiet and hoping for the best?

Did they not draw a cross through your entry visa on your passport? I thought that was the normal way of showing that you were deported or denied entry but maybe it's only used for denied entry.

If there's nothing visible on your passport then i wouldn't volunteer the info. As others have said, answer any question you're asked by the US people but do not volunteer information that isn't directly asked for.

Each country has different rules and being denied entry to one country doesn't necessarily make you a persona non grata for another country, unless it was to do with outright criminal activity over and above non-compliance with the conditions of a tourist visa.

• Advertisement
Advertisement