Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time Surfer - where should I go?

Options
  • 01-07-2014 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Advice please ....
    Want to knock "Surf lesson" off the bucket list. I've no idea where to go. Have looked on line at various surf schools around Ireland all offering lessons around 30 euro.

Is there anywhere that is guaranteed to have the right sea conditions/waves so that I can plan trip in advance and don't have to wait for weather forecast the day before?

As you can guess I haven't a clue what I'm looking for!!

Tramore ? Enniscrone? Bundoran? Rossnowlagh?

All advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Where you are based would be a good starting point for advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Tullan strand in Bundoran is most likely to have something for beginners but beginners don't need much. Personally I don't like Tullan strand and find Enniscone much nicer. surfing is very weather dependent. If it were me I'd book a lesson in Enniscorne and camp or B&B it at the beach bar near Aughris head. Seventh wave surf school runs Surfing and Kayaking so you'll get out on the water regardless. The North West surf school also operate out of Enniscrone. You have lots to choose from in Bundoran.

You could also look at Lahich and Portrush

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Strandhill is class, both in terms if lessons and crack, nothing beats a proper seaside town :D

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭kimberworth

Thanks everyone. I'm open to travel anywhere in Ireland. I'd assumed I would have to head for the West Coast e.g. Sligo or Donegal but someone suggested Tramore, I hadn't thought Co Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Thanks everyone. I'm open to travel anywhere in Ireland. I'd assumed I would have to head for the West Coast e.g. Sligo or Donegal but someone suggested Tramore, I hadn't thought Co Waterford.

Think about it and then forget about it straight away afterwards, it'll spend most of the summer flat as a pancake.

Hard to argue with Spacehoppers advice, sligo and donegal both good options.

Lahinch is a decent seaside town if you want to mix a bit of weekend away fun with some surf. Lots of good surf lesson operators there, Bens surf clinic and John Mac the best of the bunch.

• Advertisement

Thank you cpoh1

Thanks for all the advice. Had a fantastic time at Strandhill Surf school. Great staff, facilities and 3 hours for 30 euro = excellent value.

Advertisement