Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AH thread on Irish Times article on Boards.ie?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Associate of my home.ie writes article about associates of daft.ie & gets dig in over some debt but makes no mention of assets. Nothing to see here... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Associate of my home.ie writes article about associates of daft.ie & gets dig in over some debt but makes no mention of assets. Nothing to see here... :)
    The website, owned by Distilled Media, the company that runs the Daft property website,

The Daft brothers, Eamonn and Brian Fallon, first bought into Boards in 2008.

... a full four years after the Daft boys first got involved.

Yeah. I pretty much know nothing about who owns Boards/Daft/Distilled, but even I figured something was up when the writer kept saying "The Daft Brothers/Boys". Seemed like a bit of a veiled swipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Never thought of it that way. Yeah strikes me as boards getting caught in the crosshairs of a bit of proxy mud slinging between two companies involved in the property industry now that I think of it.

Isn't the property industry a delight

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I know €100k losses per year aren't massive trouble but if they've been happening for quite a while, it'd have to be a cause for concern surely?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I remember when the Irish Times was regarded as the newspaper of record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭weisses

Does that mean I don't need to sell my kidney ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

What assets would a website have?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

kneemos wrote: »
    What assets would a website have?
    Reach.

Goodwill.
    Brand.
    Any cash in the bank.
    Debtors.
    Servers/Laptops
    Office Equipment etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Sleepy wrote: »
    Goodwill.
    Brand.
    Any cash in the bank.
    Debtors.
    Servers/Laptops
    Office Equipment etc.

All included in the accounts surely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Not in a P&L account though (sorry for the accountancy stuff).

Assets would be in a Balance Sheet and would be used to show the value of the company. You could have a company making losses but still worth a considerable sum.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Article also claims a €65k hole in the balance sheet.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

I don't know how a balance sheet can have a 65k hole in it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

K-9 wrote: »

That's what I thought. A balance sheet has to balance - there's a clue in the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Now maybe I'm stupid...But how would this IT journalist have seen Boards's balance sheet? Surely that's not something that just anybody can see?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Lads, I just pointed out it's what the article claims! :) I'm somewhat clueless when it comes to such things.

Now maybe I'm stupid...But how would this IT journalist have seen Boards's balance sheet? Surely that's not something that just anybody can see?

CRO website I presume. The information should be available to anybody paying a small fee.

There can't be a hole in it, it's a lazy term. The directors or other companies might have put money into it to cover losses, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. As long as they think the company is worth persisting worth, no bothers!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

You can get them off the CRO for a fee. However you can't have a hole in a balance sheet that's impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Well I learned something new today :D

Well I learned something new today :D

Same time, same place tomorrow for exciting accountancy anecdotes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

You can get them off the CRO for a fee. However you can't have a hole in a balance sheet that's impossible.

Well you used be able to, if you leaned too hard on the rubber.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Mmm, have the IT (or any newspaper) ever ran a story and used information they found on boards?

Surely not.

Surely they would pay handsomely for doing that.. :/

Idea (c) boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Sleepy wrote: »
    I know €100k losses per year aren't massive trouble but if they've been happening for quite a while, it'd have to be a cause for concern surely?

it could be perfectly sustainable if it depreciation or goodwill being written off is pushing a smaller suplus into an accounting loss. Much better from a tax position too :)

True. I was assuming it was an operating loss rather than a net loss after interest, tax and amortisation...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

With the property business booming thanks to Daft.ie - I think the debt will be wiped in no time. :pac:

So you're telling me Dav bunged an IT journalist a few quid to bump subscriptions this month then? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Where is the boards.ie cupboard? An upwardly mobile area?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Penn wrote: »
    Seemed like a bit of a veiled swipe.

It was veiled? It made it sound like there was a known formula for turning internet forums into profit making machines. Also Boards was considered in isolation where as part of a larger internet group it might through synergies contribute to profits in other group companies and be worth keeping without any of this showing up on the P&L or Balance Sheet (other than perhaps being inferred from the mother company funding Boards rather winding it up or trying to sell it off).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

K-9 wrote: »

You're right there can't be a 'hole'. Typically a 'hole' in a balance sheet refers to a large credit item. Maybe a huge creditor/loan/payable.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

€65k is the net liabilities of the company at 31 December 2012. That means it owed more than it has assets to pay. Basically the company is funded by a big loan from the Daft Media company, but unless that company decides to seek repayment of that loan there is no issue

Obviously we are talking 18 months ago here and things could have moved on materially since then.

Advertisement