Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No YouTube fullscreen

Options
  • 01-07-2014 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,030 ✭✭✭✭

I did search, and unless it's right in front of my face i can't find another thread.

Anyway, for the last while, embedded YouTube videos no longer have a fullscreen option, only an option to go to YouTube and this is the only way to get full screen. From a search, there seemed to be an issue previously (in 2012) which was sorted, but maybe this is a new one?

Not a huge problem, more annoying.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I think this is something that Google (YouTube) have introduced to force people to go onto YouTube itself to play full screen.

It's the same on every other site (e.g. Twitter etc.) so I do not think there's anything boards can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,030 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I was thinking as much, but i said i'd throw it up here just in case. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Full screen mode on youtube vids is still available and working for me from within posts.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I think this is something that Google (YouTube) have introduced to force people to go onto YouTube itself to play full screen.

It's the same on every other site (e.g. Twitter etc.) so I do not think there's anything boards can do about it.

It's available for me on other forums but not boards, so it's not a universal thing youtube are forcing sites into.

Edit: AJ, you can make this vid full screen? I can't here.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭The Buster

I can make that video full screen 5star

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Using the html5 player there's no full screen option for me, when I disable it there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

5starpool wrote: »
    It's available for me on other forums but not boards, so it's not a universal thing youtube are forcing sites into.

Edit: AJ, you can make this vid full screen? I can't here.

Yep, can make it full screen. IE11 if it helps, perhaps us Internet Explorer diehards have finally got a win.

Doesn't work for me on Chrome, but does on firefox it seems, as well as IE. Obviously just a chrome thing then on whatever format boards uses for youtube embedding as chrome works fine for me on other forums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Speaking of youtube videos in posts, what happened to the button on the post reply page that you could click to wrap highlighted text with the youtube embedding brackets?

Seems to have vanished for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Speaking of youtube videos in posts, what happened to the button on the post reply page that you could click to wrap highlighted text with the youtube embedding brackets?

Still there for me. 2nd symbol from the right

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Daemos wrote: »
    Still there for me. 2nd symbol from the right

Not there for me at all. All the other wrap buttons are there but the Youtube one.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,119 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Its deliberate to get more pageviews on youtube.com for banner ads and all that ****.

just a big pita for them since I have ABP, I just cost them more bandwidth this way

Not there for me at all. All the other wrap buttons are there but the Youtube one.

There for me in the advanced post format, not quick post, same as ever.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Working for me on Firefox anyway

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Are you on Firefox?

It's disappeared on my aswell, thread here in Site Dev but I had no joy in finding the cause. Complete Firefox wipe didn't even fix it.:confused:

I'll survive until my next system wipe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Overheal wrote: »
    just a big pita for them since I have ABP, I just cost them more bandwidth this way
    Mentioning that is a bannin' round these parts young feller...

:D

Steve wrote: »
    Mentioning that is a bannin' round these parts young feller...

:D

YA THINK?

I leave it disabled on boards

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

Seems to only be the HTML5 player that's causing the issue. Using the Flash version works fine for me on Firefox.

yeah I just spotted some HTML source on another site that suggests the option to allow fullscreen might just be excluded more frequently nowadays (or it needs to be directly prompted now)

So, this is a Chrome thing i take it. And does anyone know how to fix it, if possible. I googled, and it said to opt out of the HTML5 beta, but i can't find anything to do with HTML5...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

It's not Chrome - or any end user controllable thing.

Standard practice with youtube vids is to let youtube decide how to play them - when you host them on a web page you can set a few parameters but mostly it's up to youtube as to what shows up.

Sounds over complicated but it saves the host website from having to potentially serve the same video in several different formats to suit the device that is viewing and each of those in different resolutions and bitrates.

In summary, unless you have unlimited bandwith for your site then you do what youtube says and live with it. :)

It's not Chrome - or any end user controllable thing.

Standard practice with youtube vids is to let youtube decide how to play them - when you host them on a web page you can set a few parameters but mostly it's up to youtube as to what shows up.

Sounds over complicated but it saves the host website from having to potentially serve the same video in several different formats to suit the device that is viewing and each of those in different resolutions and bitrates.

In summary, unless you have unlimited bandwith for your site then you do what youtube says and live with it. :)

I posted the exact same link in another vbulletin forum that I posted above and in chrome I can't view it fullscreen here but I can on the other site. I think it's to do with whatever plug or code that boards use for embedding youtube links where it works with HTML5 but not flash, whereas the other site has a different plugin or code for displaying vids. It doesn't seem to be youtube dictated given the above.

Not a big deal either way anyhow.

5starpool wrote: »
    I posted the exact same link in another vbulletin forum that I posted above and in chrome I can't view it fullscreen here but I can on the other site. I think it's to do with whatever plug or code that boards use for embedding youtube links where it works with HTML5 but not flash, whereas the other site has a different plugin or code for displaying vids. It doesn't seem to be youtube dictated given the above.

Not a big deal either way anyhow.

I't been a while since I did any web dev - I really am not current on what options youtube still allows. From memory, you gave them a frame, a url and a few parameters like wxh and they do the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I't been a while since I did any web dev - I really am not current on what options youtube still allows. From memory, you gave them a frame, a url and a few parameters like wxh and they do the rest.

It affects some though, & not others (for the same video, as demonstrated earlier on in this thread I think). I've no full screen button at home when using Boards (chrome), but over in my gf's using my Boards account, I do (Firefox). Pretty annoying, & you've to go to the main YT site to use full screen.

Googling is suggesting that it's an HTML5 issue. I know this might be slightly off topic, but is there any way to go back to using flash instead of HTML5 (Chrome)? I really couldn't be bothered leaving Chrome and using FF.

Advertisement