Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Too late/old to start college again (Game Programming)?

• 01-07-2014 3:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

How do everyone,

I've posted here before but am posting potentially one last time. Looking for advice, blunt if necessary. I am 30 years old and looking to get into game programming. I decided on this around 2.5 years ago but ruled out college (been before, didn't work out). Now in those 2.5 years I have learned from scratch as much as I could. Admittedly, I could have done more but I've had to worry about my job, which has nothing to do with the gaming industry (or computers at all actually). I also, shied away for around 6+ months due to frustration. I am back working at it in my spare time now and know that my problems with my first bout of college was due to my lack of interest in the subject. Despite my frustrations mentioned earlier, my passion to achieve in game programming is still extremely high.

My level is this. I knew VB quite well from my first college course but know that that is basically irrelevant in game programming. I have learned C++ from scratch and can make basic games from scratch using it (Asteroids, etc.). I have finished a few books that create their own engines and also using DirectX. I am currently trying to write my own games using what I've learned and am pretty confident in knowing how and why they work. I know that engines from scratch are rare these days so am learning C# to use within Unity. I used Unreal a while back and made a few basic levels but never delved into the coding side.

On paper, this may look okay for a portfolio and to start applying right now but I know that there's gaps in what I know, big ones. For all the wealth of knowledge that the internet and the books that I have read have, they're both 1 way streets. I have no way of communicating back if I don't get something (unless a forum post like here). I feel an education would really filter everything neatly for me. There's a lot of outdated/incorrect advice out there and I'm afraid of taking it. I have spent 2.5 years getting to the level I'm at now and I know I could have just done a course and be done in 2 years, and qualified. I'm looking at a 2 year game programming course link in London (where I'm based). I have the money saved for it. It will be a penniless 2 years but I'm hoping that a more one on one education as opposed to one on a book would prove more fruitful.

This is my dilemma, I need to know soon. So blunt advice needed. I know the money in game programming isn't much, I don't care. I have worked years in minimum wage jobs that I hate and that's what I'm looking at in my future. I am 30 years old, I can't flip flop careers any more, this is maybe my last chance. I do have some experience in software testing so to qualify in that (needed for most jobs over here) I would need to do a 3 month course but then I feel that that's me for life. I like testing but I feel this is my last chance to achieve in something that I really want to achieve in.

Thanks anyone who replies.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Never to old, i went back to do animation when i was 25 graduated at 30. I thought i was old going in but their was people way older than me when i was there some well in their 40's and 50's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Might be worth contacting bitSmith games. They did a 2 week intense course on building a game in Unity in February I think. Realistically if you can do things like build Asteroids in C++, you're further than most already.

With the amount of work you've put into it so far, I think you'd benefit from an internship over a course?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

Business is about making money and reaching those goals.
    If you can show you are able to do what is needed, then it is as good as the piece of paper that shows you have passed certain tests of competence.

I personally take the personal results over the paper, but not sure which is the best choice. It might depend on the type of company or group you want to work for or with.

One thing I couldn't see clearly was who you would like to work for or with.
    Indie? Corporation? Large company?. And do you understand the implications each type might have on your work and the enjoyment you get right now from doing this?
    I think you need to define your dream and vision for people to give a more indepth answer. And once a clear goal is established, it should be easier to simulate the road to there and the result of getting there and how it will play out generally.

I would not say you're too old, considering what you mean by old in this context of gaining employment. You have plently of time to prove yourself and improve. you might just be less flexible in your processes if you have been trained for too long. So in a way, no matter what age you are, you in some ways will always be "fresh blood" to the industry, when you first jump in. Bringing new ideas, due to less experience and environmental conditioning.

So I guess, my main question is, What exactly do you want for the future in game development/programming.

Oh I think I might have accidently hit the nail on the head regarding small and big companies, and working for or with them.
    It seems like the bigger companies where you get pushed aside, is working for. And the small companies that are all working together closely, is working with.
    The latter to me tobe a more fullfilling job and the former to be a more profitable job. Generally speaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭Kilgore__Trout

You definitely aren't too old. The fact you have a couple of simple games suggests technical ability, and saving up for a college course suggests dedication. That's half the battle won.

As Torax suggested, it might be a good idea to think about where you might like to work, so you can figure out what to concentrate your efforts on.

As for college, I didn't do a game development course (just a short one on programming), but a number of people in GD courses I've spoken to weren't very complimentary about the quality and focus of these courses. That's not to say there aren't good ones out there too, but my inclination would be towards caution and thoroughly investigating where you'd like to study. There was a youtube video to this effect to, but I can't seem to find it.

If you are leaning more toward the indie route, another option could be to take what you've saved toward college, and use it to make a game. There's a good chance you'll learn an equivalent amount, but you'll trade the qualification for a portfolio piece and perhaps a game you can market. A lot of people are coming out of college with a qualification. Not too many of them have a polished game under their belts. Just a thought. Good luck on your decision.

In my view the main thing you get from a college course, is the experience of working on a team and making tons of mistakes, being rushed to complete projects and having to make do with what you have at the time.
    I learned quite a lot about working with groups and hit many pitfalls during that time. I now have that experience and a more clear direction on where I want to go and how.
    But if you are just wanting to learn how to make stuff.. I would suggest youtube videos or some cheap online course to just keep you on track.
    Or at least to test how you pick it up and if you need further training.
    I am kind of for and against college :)
    It has it's advantages and I guess a piece of paper that says you made it through(however even distinctions can lie from my experience).

Maybe it's safer to say, which ever one gets you a solid portfolio is a safe enough bet. Some people need helpwith that, others can learn at home. So it kind of depends a lot on the person and also where they wish to end up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭Kilgore__Trout

Torakx wrote: »
    Maybe it's safer to say, which ever one gets you a solid portfolio is a safe enough bet. Some people need helpwith that, others can learn at home. So it kind of depends a lot on the person and also where they wish to end up.

Yeah, this is a better way to think about it.

I'm definitely not against college either, and would have done a full course in game development had it been an option. Mainly, I'm just a little wary of organisations offering a dream on a platter and failing to deliver a meaningful learning experience.

You're spot on about most colleges I think(or especially the cheaper short courses anyway). The marketing is usually very "good" let us say and maybe not quite the experience you get.
    I do see everything as useful though. I spent about 12 years in the constuction industry and have many skills and inspirations taken from that.
    A mature student, is a much more capable student in those ways.
    A lot of them having former diciplines and dicipline is indeed needed for game dev :D
    I think the motivation and vision of the future we want is the deciding factor on whether we get there.
    Either way it is putting the hours in and pushing ourselves to learn. There is no one method to reach our goals. But maybe certain methods suited to certain individuals.
    Myself, I have always been a self learner. Even in college, it was mostly learnign from youtube to get projects done. The team work was what I got mostly. And industry experience from lecturers.
    Where nearly all groups have failed is in management and business I think.
    Maybe do a business course and learn game dev at home :)

Actually I made a cool friend on facebook through a game dev group recently.
    He is a developer in Norway and has given me lots of great advice.
    One thing he said that really really helps him now, is a course he did years ago in business and management. It really helps him get the team in the right direction in many ways.
    I can't stress enough how useful a good and experience manager is with games and game dev. You can't just take any manager and get going. They really need to have some knowledge of the development process.
    If I was to choose only 2 skills to be awesome at, to give me the best chance, it would be business and programming. Possibly programming first. Hard to say.
    Sometimes a good game gets seen because of it's potential and sometimes it is because it was marketed well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Thanks everyone for the replies. Apologies for my lack of them. Great advice given by all, I have decided to leave the college option. I feel that a portfolio would be my best bet and also the most rewarding. Sometimes I just want to be led and that is what I wanted by optioning college. I know I may need to focus my portfolio towards something specific, AI, Physics, etc. My dream was to work in Havok but way, way out of my league I think, although the physics side of programming intrigues me and is something that I was good at in my first college course. I really can't answer the question of whether I want to go Corporate or Indie. Wherever I could learn the most I guess and whichever is the most forgiving to someone starting out. I'll decide that after I research the options and have a portfolio worth looking at and then I'll apply for internships. Thanks everyone, I'll remember to bump this thread in the future if I make it.

Advertisement