Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are we a nation of idiots?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

We are pussies compared to some other countries. We are afraid to stand up for ourselves, very apologetic and too forgiving towards the government. But we are not as uninformed as some other countries like USA and the UK where people know f**k all about anything.

I'd bother disagreeing, but I have an Ali G box-set to be watching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

BMMachine wrote: »
    We pay extortionate amounts for things like transport and electricity and there is little we seem to be able to do about that and when push comes to shove
    How can global energy costs be changed by us? What's stupid is people not being careful about their own usage.
    Mrs Browns boys regardless of its comedy value is still imo an intellectual step above the mass hatred and hysteria over it which comes across a lot of the time as nothing but a vain and petty attempt to feel superior by scoffing at and denigrating those who watch it.
    People can criticise it (the programme, not its viewers) if they want too though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Seriously if all you can muster up as a form of intellectual superiority that you like certain types of comedy, while other people like different types of funny you are probably not as bright as you think you are.

In fairness, hasn't the trend over the past century or so been to collapse any distinction between high and low culture and shift the site of the creation of meaning from the point of creation to the point of consumption?

Because that's what I tell myself when I'm watching Eastenders, anyway

Well comedy is all low brow. Some might get to middle brow but that's it. It's not really difficult to get a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Magaggie wrote: »
    .What's stupid is people not being careful about their own usage.

Is it stupid even if one is frugal of ones consumption?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Our health service is ****ing terrible - even if you have health insurance. Could rant all day about it.

Is it stupid even if one is frugal of ones consumption?
    Global energy costs aren't the result of our national idiocy.

Global energy costs aren't the result of our national idiocy.

A politicians answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭Fate Amenable To Change

We're kind've dumb but we seem to cloak that fact well. The trick is to add big words to your sentences so that you sound photosynthesis.

Marmalade

A politicians answer.
    Well if I had a way of bringing down the price of global energy I'd be sure to implement it. What would your way be?

• Advertisement

Well if I had a way of bringing down the price of global energy I'd be sure to implement it. What would your way be?

To get back to the original point alot of people are finding energy expensive, the person that is frugal with their energy consumption is not stupid, why brand them stupid even if they complain that their energy is expensive.

To get back to the original point alot of people are finding energy expensive, the person that is frugal with their energy consumption is not stupid, why brand them stupid even if they complain that their energy is expensive.
    But my point is (based on the opening post): if the cost of each unit is expensive, how does that make us idiots?

And sometimes when people talk about something being expensive (energy or anything else) it's because of their own consumption also, not just the cost in and of itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭House of Blaze

Well comedy is all low brow. Some might get to middle brow but that's it. It's not really difficult to get a joke.

What about the Divine Comedy? ;)

But my point is (based on the opening post): if the cost of each unit is expensive, how does that make us idiots?

Ok maybe some confusion on my part there, apologies.
    Is electricity expensive, is it an extortionate price as the op put it, i dont think so. Yes the big fancy word extortionate looks the part in trying to get a point across and it got a shot of thanks but anyone who thinks electricity is expensive should get disconnected from the grid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I think mrs brown is terrible but at least it is exactly what its supposed to be; comedy.

what annoys me far more is the drivel that gets shown on discovery of bbc knowledge etc that has replaced wildlife docs or proper intelligent documentaries. Junk like bearing sea gold etc which is barely more than a soap opera set outside

what annoys me far more is the drivel that gets shown on discovery of bbc knowledge etc that has replaced wildlife docs or proper intelligent documentaries. Junk like bearing sea gold etc which is barely more than a soap opera set outside

Why watch it then, is their some one forcing you to watch these shows?

Ok maybe some confusion on my part there, apologies.
    Is electricity expensive, is it an extortionate price as the op put it, i dont think so. Yes the big fancy word extortionate looks the part in trying to get a point across and it got a shot of thanks but anyone who thinks electricity is expensive should get disconnected from the grid.
    It's about 20 cent per unit - not cheap. But you get two months between bills so what I started doing a while back was popping a few quid in every so often during that two months, and the bill would be drastically reduced.

Anyway though, enough of the household budgeting talk I'd say. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Why watch it then, is their some one forcing you to watch these shows?

no, my point is that quality programmes have been replaced by such. Discovery used to be an awesome channel with lots really interesting shows. Its degenerated in the last 5 year to retard level stuff and you cant view the decent anymore.

It's about 20 cent per unit - not cheap.

I wont bang on but are you as energy efficient with your white goods, bulbs, entertainment and other electrical devices to warrant saying that electricity is expensive?

• Advertisement

no, my point is that quality programmes have been replaced by such. Discovery used to be an awesome channel with lots really interesting shows. Its degenerated in the last 5 year to retard level stuff and you cant view the decent anymore.

Why pay a monthly subscription for something you detest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Shur half the country is below average intelligence, where would we be going with that going on :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I don't find it even remotely funny and this is coming from a guy who enjoys fart jokes.

But feck it, it's a massive Irish success export, fair play to all involved.

More power to ya.

I don't find it even remotely funny and this is coming from a guy who enjoys fart jokes.

But feck it, it's a massive Irish success export, fair play to all involved.

More power to ya.

I have read your post and the ops post and cannot form a thought of what you are trying to say.

I have read your post and the ops post and cannot form a thought of what you are trying to say.

Ok, it's no mystery, either we are drunk or you are.

Ok, it's no mystery, either we are drunk or you are.

So much for attacking the post and not the poster, im still in the dark?

• Advertisement

So much for attacking the post and not the poster, im still in the dark?

Wtf?

Same could be said for your post. Weird.

Wtf?

Same could be said for your post. Weird.

No need to be swearing, in post #124 i said i cannot form a thought of what you are trying to say and you replied it's no mystery, either we are drunk or you are.
    I asked you to explain your post, you suggested that i may be drunk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

What about the Divine Comedy? ;)

Dante's or that long streak with the black clothes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

A Nation of Sheep, Breeds a Government of Wolves!

No need to be swearing, in post #124 i said i cannot form a thought of what you are trying to say and you replied it's no mystery, either we are drunk or you are.
    I asked you to explain your post, you suggested that i may be drunk?

His post was pretty easy to parse. The term "form a thought of what you are trying to say" is fairly odd phrasing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Turtwig wrote: »
    No, humour is a subjective and cultural thing. Rarely a measure of idiocy or lack thereof.

Studies have shown that intelligence is directly related to humour. We find jokes funnier the more intelligent we perceive them. Even "stupid" humour can be seen as being intelligent if the punchline was very unexpected.

This does however mean that if we perceive something to be unimaginative and stupid we do not view it as being funny. If it's been done before or the punchlines are obvious, we don't find it funny.

Hence the reason i think Mrs. Browns Boys is not funny. I think it's stupid and unimaginative as do a lot of people (We'll call them the intelligent ones ;)).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

BMMachine wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/movies/movie-news/mrs-browns-boys-dmovie-takes-record-breaking-102m-at-the-irish-box-office-30394432.html

I want to say no. We have a great education system, we have provided culture with soul and depth to the world and produced some of the best artists in their generation.
    But when I see this it really gets me thinking, why such low standards? We let politicians get away with f**king over entire generations and say "ah yeah" as if that slight sarcasm is what gives us a national identity. We pay extortionate amounts for things like transport and electricity and there is little we seem to be able to do about that and when push comes to shove, we feed minds on diets of filtered garbage like the aforementioned Mrs. Browns Boys.

The thing is, that shlock is only the latest in the long line of crap entertainment we have ingested over the years. Bad RTE talent shows, bad lowbrow reality shows (who remembers Fade Street), bad comedy and just a set of low low standards as to what entertainment and culture is. "Oh you can't sing or dance? Guess you are of no value. But wait, maybe we can stick you on a reality show because you seem like the kind of bellend that idiots would tune it to watch and complain about with their mates"

Jedward was an accepted thing.

There is a saying, you are what you eat and in a lot of ways thats true. You eat crap? you become crap. Your mind takes in crap? well guess what, those outward thoughts, yes, those opinions ;) become crap. I know its hard to avoid, just how this lowbrow pop culture seeps in from every crevice and the foreign imports, which seem infinite at this stage (from The Big Bang Theory to Geordie Shore) certainly don't help. But please, stop thinking that garbage is acceptable for your mind. There are other options out there, you dont have to watch, listen to or read the most available material. If the McDonalds is 5 minutes away and the farmers market is 10, do you eat at the McDonalds every day?

I think bigger idiots are those who enjoy fake 'sports' like WWE.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

It takes a nation of idiots to hold us back, said Public Enemy

I wont bang on but are you as energy efficient with your white goods, bulbs, entertainment and other electrical devices to warrant saying that electricity is expensive?
    I'm pretty conscientious about my energy usage yeh, but just because I'm saying electricity is not cheap here, doesn't mean I'm moaning about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭pqdvdplayer

love just go love

Advertisement