Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music Education Masters Question

• 01-07-2014 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

Hi there,

Hopefully this is the right forum
    I would like to get involved in music education in the future and I'm looking for advice on the best route possible. I have previously studied music technology, level 8 and would like to get involved teaching music at primary or secondary level. Does anyone have an idea of the right masters course to do?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Doing a masters wouldn't qualify you to teach, As such.

There are not separate teachers for different subjects in primary. You may be able to be hired privately by a school for a few hours a week. In this case, you probably wouldn't need to be qualified, but certainly garda vetted.

For secondary, you would need to apply for the Professional Masters in Education (PME) in a university or Hibernia. You must check first with the Teaching council whether your degree has enough credits to qualify you to teach Music. Check their website for the list of recognised degrees, if it's not listed you'll have to contact them directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Shazamm

Thanks for the reply.

The thing is I think I wouldn't be recognized to teach music as I'm qualified in music "technology", i.e. sound engineering, while not having completed a music honours degree. So i'm looking to kind of change route so to speak. Would this course in be suitable?

http://www.mic.ul.ie/postgradstudies/prospectivestudents/Pages/MAMusicEducation.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

No that wouldn't qualify you to teach. It would be more so aimed at teachers looking to further their education. To qualify to teach you'd need to do the PME or a concurrent undergrad.

Where did you do your undergraduate? Did you check the recognised courses list on the Teaching Council website?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Shazamm

yeah, i did it in LIT Limerick institiute of technology. It seems its not on their list of recognised courses.

Advertisement