Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much study did you do this year SURVEY

• 01-07-2014 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭

Now I know I'm infamous for asking this type of question but its just a quick survey so me and my friend can try and prove something to our teacher, there was a lot of debate between the students and her on how much study people actually do in there leaving cert so if you could fill this out it would be a real help :)

How much study did you do for your leaving cert.? 62 votes

Since the start of 6th year
    0% 0 votes
    Since after Easter holidays
    37% 23 votes
    Last two months before the leaving started
    20% 13 votes
    Last month before the leaving started
    8% 5 votes
    Last couple of weeks before leaving started
    11% 7 votes
    I didn't study at all for my leaving cert
    17% 11 votes
    What's the Leaving Cert?
    4% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

An anonymous internet survey proves nothing to your teacher especially when the results are not from a fair and unbiased sample. I'd hardly call the cohort who post on boards a wide ranging sample of the student population.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

still tho, its iintresting to know :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

I'll be honest, literally only knuckled down doing proper study about a week before, I had been doing the odd bits and bobs before but nothing serious or consistent was ever done.

Daniel2590 wrote: »
    I'll be honest, literally only knuckled down doing proper study about a week before, I had been doing the odd bits and bobs before but nothing serious or consistent was ever done.

SOunds like myself and about half of my year, there was only one person in our year who studied every day from the start of the year till the end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Badwulf wrote: »
    SOunds like myself and about half of my year, there was only one person in our year who studied every day from the start of the year till the end

You have no idea if that is true or not. Your teacher probably has a far better idea due to the work they see completed by students. Or not completed.

There are some students who work away at home and say nothing to anyone. There are students in my fifth year group who don't do a stroke of work in school from one end of the day to another, yet I was in the town library one evening doing some work before the end of term and there were two of them working away.

So one of them tried to disrupt my class the following day and I put a stop to that fairly swiftly. I asked him why he thought it was ok to clown about in class and waste everyone else's time while he spent his evening studying in the library. Other students were shocked to hear he was in the library as he has caused disruption and wasted time in a number of subjects this year and everyone would have assumed he didn't do any work.

What people tell you and what they actually do are vastly different things.

• Advertisement

I suppose but the people in my school hardly lie.....Atleast we all hope </3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭chatterboxxx95

Badwulf wrote: »
    I suppose but the people in my school hardly lie.....Atleast we all hope </3

Tbh, I don't know if anyone agrees with me but "when did you start studying" is a very difficult question to answer... I always found doing my homework helpful so at the beginning of the year I counted that into my study and most nights one bit of homework was usually studying for one class test or another. I can't actually say when what most people define as "study" kicked in, different times for different subjects really...I can honestly admit that I knew most of the chemistry course to a tee by the mocks in February (we had done it all in class tests) yet didn't do any maths revision until easter but had done my homework in it up to that point, and I started studying for music the week I had off during the exams :pac:
    Basically even when people are being honest I still think its hard to get an accurate answer on this. I would say I worked from the beginning of 6th year, but study didn't kick in until a bit later on :O :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Daniel2590 wrote: »

Yup, this is me. Started after I graduated and that totalled to a little over a week of about 4-5hrs a day with breaks in between then a fair bit of cramming before each exam.

Advertisement