Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Weird situation, sale of a car.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

djimi wrote: »
    Do you give a receipt that specifies non-refundable deposit?

And I think it shows a lack of maturity to think that anyone who ever pulls out of a deal was a timewaster and was not serious about the deal. Like I said, people have genuine reasons sometimes. Its up to you what you do with their money, however it is my opinion that it is not particularly honest to keep someones money when they have caused you little inconvenience and have cost you no money. A deposit afterall is supposed to be there to safeguard against financial loss; its not there to suppliment your income. Just my opinion.

I dont buy cars privately full stop (unless it was sub €1000 maybe); Im perfectly happy to pay a premium to deal with a proper dealer and get the legal protection that comes from that.

Deposits are not refundable if the buyer chooses to cancel.
    Doesn't need to be written that way, it is the default.

Works both ways mind, I had a deal made and deposit paid but the seller kept messing me around (deal was to include a vehicle with DOE pass) and the truck kept failing the test. After 6 weeks of this messing, I got my deposit back - as it was the seller's fault and not mine. If I decided to change my mind, I would not have expected my deposit back.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Deposits are not refundable if the buyer chooses to cancel.
    Doesn't need to be written that way, it is the default.

Works both ways mind, I had a deal made and deposit paid but the seller kept messing me around (deal was to include a vehicle with DOE pass) and the truck kept failing the test. After 6 weeks of this messing, I got my deposit back - as it was the seller's fault and not mine. If I decided to change my mind, I would not have expected my deposit back.

Im pretty sure that its not the default to have deposits non-refundable, and that you must actually specify this in writing.

Im not sure how your example shows it working both ways, but if you didnt expect your deposit back then more power to you. If you had a genuine reason to change your mind the next morning after paying the deposit then Im sure you would feel differently (despite what Im sure you will say on here).

Im pretty sure that its not the default to have deposits non-refundable, and that you must actually specify this in writing.

Im not sure how your example shows it working both ways, but if you didnt expect your deposit back then more power to you. If you had a genuine reason to change your mind the next morning after paying the deposit then Im sure you would feel differently (despite what Im sure you will say on here).
    What's a genuine reason?
    Other than the seller not fulfilling part of the deal, which is the only acceptable scenario to refund a deposit.

What's a genuine reason?
    Other than the seller not fulfilling part of the deal, which is the only acceptable scenario to refund a deposit.

Insurance falls through for example (has happened to me before when an insurer decided they didnt want to honor a quote that they gave me). **** happens; its not always deliberate and not always down to timewaters/messers.

Insurance falls through for example (has happened to me before when an insurer decided they didnt want to honor a quote that they gave me). **** happens; its not always deliberate and not always down to timewaters/messers.

That's something so rare, so exceptions could be made on a case by case basis. I would expect a buyer to have insurance sorted beforehand, but if they showed me an email from their insurance company showing that they specifically revoked an earlier quote then of course I would not have a problem refunding a deposit after a short space of time.

• Advertisement

That's something so rare, so exceptions could be made on a case by case basis. I would expect a buyer to have insurance sorted beforehand, but if they showed me an email from their insurance company showing that they specifically revoked an earlier quote then of course I would not have a problem refunding a deposit after a short space of time.

In my case I had insurance sorted out, I paid the deposit and rang to confirm cover only to be told that they werent going to honor the quote. Luckily I was able to find cover elsewhere so I didnt have to back out of the deal, but I would have been rightly shagged if I couldnt get cover elsewhere.

Im only talking about taking things on a case by case basis. If someone is genuinely screwing you around then by all means keep their deposit. If you think that someone is genuine and you are not at a loss or inconvenience then give them back their money and let them on their way. It costs nothing to be civil to people, and to have some empathy to understand that sometimes these things happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

its only 50 euros deposit.....sell the car, ring yer man tell him to collect the deposit, end of story....
    ps, if selling again,all money up front,no deposit, full payment or no car. were only talking 300 here.......

but that undermines the purpose of the deposit.

anyway, sent your man a message early on Friday to say if he didn't take the car by Monday he would lose his deposit. he didn't reply all day.

the car was sold to another party by Saturday afternoon.

done :) and the car lives!

Advertisement