Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl brush cutter/strimmer

• 01-07-2014 6:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭

I need a brush cutter, I've been away for a few months and the weeds have taken over my garden, the thistles are about 5 feet high in the back. I was going to hire one, but they are €30 a day locally, and the area of land that I need to clear, and keep under control, I thought I might as well buy one. Lidl have one for sale this Thursday, Florabest is the make, I just wondered if anyone had bought one from them previously, and if it was durable, or any other garden power tools of the same brand.

Thank you

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/SID-6E89E420-8C0CFD6D/www_lidl_ie/hs.xsl/Offers.htm?id=193

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Not bad for the money but you'll have to queue for it last time they had them listed I don't think our local store had any at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Trick is to be queuing at the door before they open on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭MOTM

What I don't get is that there seems to be an infinite number of buyers for LidAldi brushcutters. I've always missed out on them, and am thinking "surely now, anyone who wants one got it the last 10 times they were sold here".

Fingers crossed I'll get one tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Phil_Lives

OK. How to shrink it below 10 days? 12 hour days, dehumidifiers? Go-fors?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

MOTM wrote: »
    What I don't get is that there seems to be an infinite number of buyers for LidAldi brushcutters. I've always missed out on them, and am thinking "surely now, anyone who wants one got it the last 10 times they were sold here".

Some of the stuff they inky get a few in,I was looking for the twin hob and grill in aldi last week I asked they guy had they any left and he told me they only got 5 :(

• Advertisement

Some of the stuff they inky get a few in,I was looking for the twin hob and grill in aldi last week I asked they guy had they any left and he told me they only got 5 :(

I've queued up for them and I've no proof that they actually existed. I did hear someone who had been behind me in the queue suggest very loudly in the store that the staff had bought them all, who knows? I did ask the staff and was told that they only got 4 in stock but still a mystery as to were they were or who bought them.

Maybe better to just stand outside and see if anyone actually leaves with a brushcutter purchased ;)

I'm going in before they open tomorrow. Will keep ye posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

For really popular items like TVs etc. they keep them in the office by the checkouts to help prevent stampedes. Really :) Ask the security guard as soon as you see him, he might keep one aside for you.

SUCCESS AT LAST. There were about 10 on the shelves. I think there are a few left. No masks unfortunately. Will have to buy that bit elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

are they actually any good though as I have a ryobi which when working os a great machine but seems the carb is loosing pressure and needs constant readjustment and now the pull cord is broke on it, debating between getting it repaired or getting one of these.

tommycahir wrote: »
    are they actually any good though as I have a ryobi which when working os a great machine but seems the carb is loosing pressure and needs constant readjustment and now the pull cord is broke on it, debating between getting it repaired or getting one of these.

Could be the same ones, Ryobi make a lot of stuff for other companies and by now I suspect they will all have been sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

My local Lidl had absolutely none this morning, so have ordered one off ebay, its coming from the UK, but even with delivery, is the same price as the Lidl one, hopefully it will do the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭gk5000

Got one last year and it works well, but use good quality 2.4mm line on it.
    And don't bump on the ground to let out the line, but bump and pull out with your hand.

And use the disk for real heavy duty stuff, but don't hit any sticks or stones.
    Get a mask as the sap flying up from weeds can be nasty. Woodies have a good gauze one with earmuffs for €30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

gk5000 wrote: »
    Got one last year and it works well, but use good quality 2.4mm line on it.
    And don't bump on the ground to let out the line, but bump and pull out with your hand.

And use the disk for real heavy duty stuff, but don't hit any sticks or stones.
    Get a mask as the sap flying up from weeds can be nasty. Woodies have a good gauze one with earmuffs for €30.

Gauze/mesh face shields won't protect you from dog poo or plant sap, get a solid plastic/polycarbonate one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭Ogie84

Yeah they are not bad, picked one up last year. They are rebadged Einhell engines, in case you ever need to get parts for them they can be got via Einhell

Ogie84 wrote: »
    Yeah they are not bad, picked one up last year. They are rebadged Einhell engines, in case you ever need to get parts for them they can be got via Einhell

They are the same as sanli who also claim to make the engines,really they are all made in China and usually a 25:1 mix due to poor machining needing loads of oil to make a seal around rings.

Realistically they are no different from 2strokes 30yrs ago I do have a strimmer that's 20:1 and about 30 years old plus a Kawasaki hedge trimmer 20odd years old that's 25:1 granted it cuts 100m streach 5ft high and never fails so I wouldn't be put off.

For diy around the house any of the cheap ones will work fine using right mix regular servicing and proper use ie,don't be milling into stuff take it easy and don't rev the head off it,most will cut effortlessly at half throttle.
    If it's a strong,long lasting hardy machine it's a stihl needed

The mix according to the manual is 40:1.

Maiden voyage for the florabest brushcutter this morning. Easy ish to assemble, easy to start. So far so good on thickish grass and scrub. Had been borrowing a tanaka with similar cc up to now. The florabest seems just as good, but get back to me in a few years and will see if its still working.

Bookmark this thread and let us know how you get on in 2 years time :)

And don't forget to hang onto that receipt for you 3 year warranty!

• Advertisement

my3cents wrote: »
    Bookmark this thread and let us know how you get on in 2 years time :)

And don't forget to hang onto that receipt for you 3 year warranty!

Eh, pm me in two years might be easier. Have kept the receipt tho.

Advertisement