Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA Mature Student

Options
  • 01-07-2014 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭

Hi there, im a mature student. and want to apply for back to education for a level 7 degree, this will be my first degree in Ireland, Am I wrong to think that this application will cover the fees aswell as giving me a weekly allowance. I know fees are covered by Department of Education either through the Free Fee Initiative or through the Tuition fee element of the SUSI grant. not sure which to apply for or how? any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

SUSI pays your tuition fees, BTEA gives you upto €188 per week to live on. You need to apply to both.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

thanks had a look through it there now. I should have mentioned that the course is level 7, 2 years but its part time. from IT sligo which is an approved college but it says here must be full time?
    http://www.susi.ie/Is-my-course-approved/General-criteria-for-approved-courses/Institutes-of-Technology-courses.aspx

other option is the departments free fees initiative but this seems to be level 8 only? for IT's

http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp9377/course-fees/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Hi OP.
    As a general rule part-time courses with a couple of exceptions aren't covered by either the Free Fees Initiative, SUSI grants or BTEA.

For someone in receipt of one of a range of DSP payments you can do the courses offered through the Springboard programme free of charge while keeping your payment: http://www.springboardcourses.ie/

If you are working you can claim back tax relief on any fees paid to a max of €7000: http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it31.html

If you already hold a third level qualification irrespective of where you did it this would affect your eligibility for support for fulltime courses under the Free Fee Initiative, SUSI and BTEA.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

many thank paperclip2. ive just completed a level 6 through springboard in this area and want to progress onto a level 7 in the same area, unfortunately their is no full time course that would be suitable. This will be my first degree in Ireland. you mentioned a couple of exceptions.....I thought their wold be at least some help out there for part time college...but absolutely non whatsoever seems ludicrous? :confused:

Part-time ed has always been woefully underfunded. Apart from the Springboard scheme there isn't really any extensive funding support availablefor third level.

The only exception I've come across this year is the part-time degree in Education & training in DCU. Its part time but qualifies for free fees and the grant. http://www.dcu.ie/prospective/deginfo.php?classname=BET

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Drezden

Hey Paperclip

I'm filling out my back to education forms right now and I'm just on the start and end dates part for the course. Do you know if you're supposed to include the orientation week as the start date of the course or do we go with the start date of lectures?

If anyone else knows any help would be much appreciated!

I'd count the orientation days as you aren't technically available for work on those days which is a Jobseeker payment criteria and the orientation is a part of your course so that would come under BTEA but maybe check with your local DSP office. I know our local office would count orientation/ induction as a part of the course therefore BTEA starts then.

Thanks for the help paperclip! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bizzyb

I got my offer yesterday, I'm on JSA and applying for BTEA. Just wondering when should I submit my application? I'm afraid to apply to early in case the say well if your going to college your not looking for work?

I went into my local social yesterday and they said they won't even be considering applications until around mid-August. This may or may not be the same in your area, I'd contact them just to be sure. Don't worry, I don't think they'll be that harsh on ya with regards the looking for work part. You can always keep looking for work up until your back in college, you'll be grand ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bizzyb

Drezden wrote: »
    I went into my local social yesterday and they said they won't even be considering applications until around mid-August. This may or may not be the same in your area, I'd contact them just to be sure. Don't worry, I don't think they'll be that harsh on ya with regards the looking for work part. You can always keep looking for work up until your back in college, you'll be grand ;)

That's great thanks very much!

bizzyb wrote: »
    I got my offer yesterday, I'm on JSA and applying for BTEA. Just wondering when should I submit my application? I'm afraid to apply to early in case the say well if your going to college your not looking for work?

Congratulations. Most office do not look at the applications until mid-August. However, you may be allowed submit early and be at the top of the pile.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭mosii

hi, after submitting btea form,when will they notify me if I got it or not,do people get refused ,if they meet all the criteria.Also I wont be regristered in my college until 1 sept ,and they want this as it says on my application form,with the course starting on sept 8,how can this happen,any help would be appreciated ,,

mosii wrote: »
    hi, after submitting btea form,when will they notify me if I got it or not,do people get refused ,if they meet all the criteria.Also I wont be regristered in my college until 1 sept ,and they want this as it says on my application form,with the course starting on sept 8,how can this happen,any help would be appreciated ,,

Generally if you meet the criteria to qualify you will get it. As for college registration, you will be placed on BTEA provisionally and given a date - for me it was in mid October - to get your college registration sorted. This ties in with getting your fees paid by SUSI etc. If there is a delay in getting this sorted then a letter from your college/SUSI stating a delay will get the date extended if you go to the SW, as happened to one person on my course last year.

Thanks a lot,would the start of august be a good time to apply so,Thanks again

sorry ,just double checking ,is the start of august the best time to put in the btea application.thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭newbie13

mosii wrote: »
    sorry ,just double checking ,is the start of august the best time to put in the btea application.thanks

Did you get any answer yet to your question?

I am almost same, I have accepted a "Approved Course" which is Level 8, and because the course not starting until 8th of September,I don`t know when should I lodge my BTEA application?

Would DSP ask me to go for BTEA interview before they approve my application?

newbie13 wrote: »
    Did you get any answer yet to your question?

I am almost same, I have accepted a "Approved Course" which is Level 8, and because the course not starting until 8th of September,I don`t know when should I lodge my BTEA application?

Would DSP ask me to go for BTEA interview before they approve my application?

Most, if not all do not actually accept BTEA application until the start of August.

Hi I would put in early this time around,as they are going to have Interviews,this year.Bring it in to the social welfare office and they will tell you yes or no.One bit of advice,it must be a 2014 application form.Best of luck.

Advertisement