Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

On line genuine parts? Yamaha

• 01-07-2014 7:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where to get a set of piston rings, valve seals and a head gasket for a 2000 TDM 850 on line?
    Or would I be better off just going into megabikes and get them order them for me?
    Or does Danfay in sallynoggin supply these?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭neamhspleachi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

OUCH....that will hurt the wallet mate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭kodak

Does anyone know where to get a set of piston rings, valve seals and a head gasket for a 2000 TDM 850 on line?
    Or would I be better off just going into megabikes and get them order them for me?
    Or does Danfay in sallynoggin supply these?

Hello

Found a j sutton great for drawings / part prices etc

http://www.yamahamotorcyclespares.co.uk/spares/choosemodel.asp?make=YAMAHA&modelGroup=Yamaha+TDM&uID=0

Ordered a TPS sensor off them for my fazer - about 8 working days as it wasn't a stock item.
    Hope it helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    OUCH....that will hurt the wallet mate!

I know man, but Ed pointed out it was burning oil on the way down to portlaoise, and at the moment I put in about a litre for every 1000km driven.
    I'd prefer to get it sorted now than let it get worse. I love the bike, its my favourite one so far in about 25 years if riding and don't mind throwin a couple of quid at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

M&P do the valve stem seals for under a tenner but postage is about 15.

• Advertisement

M&P on Amien st? scratch that you mean these guys
    http://www.mandp.co.uk/

I might just let the lads in megabikes order for me, those diagrams could end up with me buying a set of wheel bearings for a robin reliant. ;)
    Its overly complicated. Ciaran and Robbie in there have always been decent enough to me inanyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

kodak wrote: »
    Hello

Found a j sutton great for drawings / part prices etc

http://www.yamahamotorcyclespares.co.uk/spares/choosemodel.asp?make=YAMAHA&modelGroup=Yamaha+TDM&uID=0

Ordered a TPS sensor off them for my fazer - about 8 working days as it wasn't a stock item.
    Hope it helps

Ya I used these guys for a few bits and bobs.
    Only thing is if they don't have the part in stock they are very vague as to how long it will take.
    Took them 2 weeks to get a few washers which held up the rest of my order.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Alfonzito

Skill,

Maybe talk to them and get someone to have a look before you order. Something like that could be valves or pistons /rings.

Not an expert, but maybe get someone to do a compression test to see if there is a difference in compression between the sides. Then with head off you can do a leak down test to see if the valves or seats are allowing oil to pass. The piston ring sets aren't too dear as far as I know ( €60-80) , but would be good to have a look at the valves before you reassemble to motor and realise that it is still burning oil.

Alfonzito.

Scratch the post above. See from Midway thread that you are doing that anyway! Alfonzito.

• Advertisement

Cheers Alfonzito, I think I was talking to you at the meet? You on the beemer from Drumcondra?

Yes, that was me. Good luck with the work on the bike!

A

crazy prices :(
    piston oil rings 3vd-11610-00 x2 €86 + vat
    valve seals 51y-12119-00 x10 €70 + vat
    head gasket 4nz1118100 x1 €59 + vat

total €265 inc vat

Wonda, your right, ouch!!

Still though ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

total €265 inc vat

Still though ;)
    It's not that much, I'm spending around that to make my clutch look nice

^^^
    I'm intrigued, who's ever gonna see it, a clutch being internal n'all :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,384 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You might as well price up a big bore kit while you're at it.

Scrap the cap!

It'd be unwise to order anything until you've opened it especially if you haven't had wet and dry compression tests done and the condition of the bores has been checked

The point I was making was that you need to rule out that a rebore is needed (probably isn't, or at worst a bore honing) but worst case scenario you've spent a load of money on OEM standard size piston rings for a bore that needs to go up a size. Once you need to rebore, the only extra cost for a big bore kit is the pistons, and spurious oversize rings should be a lot cheaper than OEM, so that offsets the cost of the pistons.

Back in the two-stroke days when pistons and rings were almost consumables, you could get Japanese spurious parts (probably off the same production lines as OEM) for a fraction of the cost, there's no reason for a set of rings to cost that much.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

^^^
    I'm intrigued, who's ever gonna see it, a clutch being internal n'all :)

It's a dry clutch, you'll see it. I'll post up a photo when I'm done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

total €265 inc vat

Still though ;)

when my twin was burning oil back in days ... i was quoted 1750€ in muppet garage and 1450€ genuine for top end rebuild (for bleedin Italian Biatch bike)... not trying to scare you... but i know one thing... the sooner you will fix it the lower maybe the damage done..

as mentioned before.. you need to run compresion test and see from there.. it may be something as little as some gasket leaking...or something... before ordering any stuff i would get someone to tell you whats the 100% cause.. not gonna be smart here, but in the case of pistons or top end rebuild... you may be better of byuing new engine or driving her like that untill the "end"...

:\9

• Advertisement

Jaysus Ed seems like small beans compared to your quote, think I'll just go ahead anyway without doing a compression test which will just add more expense. Reason being, I'd imagine the test would tell you which piston is the culprit, and if your going in that far you may as well do both.
    Its all your fault anyway, there was nothing wrong with it until you pointed it out!! :D:D:D

Jaysus Ed seems like small beans compared to your quote, think I'll just go ahead anyway without doing a compression test which will just add more expense. Reason being, I'd imagine the test would tell you which piston is the culprit, and if your going in that far you may as well do both.
    Its all your fault anyway, there was nothing wrong with it until you pointed it out!! :D:D:D

well, you should notice that when your bike started to drink 1L of oil every 1k :)

i can imagine that any garage/mechanic would see "whats going on" and tell you what you need... ask before taking any steps and see if its worth... compresion test would show only "leak" but not the cause i believe...

btw what garage/mechanic are you going to use?

Joe in clondalkin, fixes all the couriers bikes when i was a courier, his son races now and he sets up his bikes too. A man with a vast amount of experience and has fixed anything I've thrown at him over the years. Couldn't recommend him enough

so he will defo tell you what you need and whats going on.. :)

I'm gonna get all the bits and pieces before he opens it up though, tryin to keep down time to a minimum

Joe in clondalkin, fixes all the couriers bikes when i was a courier, his son races now and he sets up his bikes too. A man with a vast amount of experience and has fixed anything I've thrown at him over the years. Couldn't recommend him enough

You'd be better off asking him for his opinion rather than us tbh.

Where's he based btw?

Scrap the cap!

ninja900 wrote: »
    You'd be better off asking him for his opinion rather than us tbh.

Where's he based btw?

Clondalkin,I'm sure he would'nt mind me givin you his number, if you want it. I'd have to check with him first though! Perhaps over a pm and not over the net?

Don't need his number atm, was just wondering roughly whereabouts he is.

Scrap the cap!

Advertisement