Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Napping/sleeping

Options
  • 01-07-2014 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

Hi all just looking for some advice. First time clueless mammy here :) our little man will be 11 weeks on Friday and is generally a happy chap after a very hard first few weeks.
    Basically for the last few weeks he will not stay asleep for his naps during the day. He has no problem going asleep but could be awake half an hour later but is still obviously wrecked and will not go back asleep. This evening he slept for an hour in his new crib and when he woke he roared the place down. The only way I can get him back asleep is in his car seat. Literally as soon as I put him in his eyes are closing. He has been asleep nearly an hour now and was due a feed a half hour ago!! I'm just wondering is there any reason why he seems to be more comfortable in a sitting position and if it's ok for him to nap in the car seat. He's a great sleeper at night. Sleeps in Moses basket for up to 9 hours.
    Any help/advice much appreciated as we haven't a clue what we are doing!!! :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

At only 11 weeks he's probably a bit young to have set nap times at the moment. I'm not saying dont try to get him in a routine... Just that perhaps he may or may not sleep at these times and sleep for different durations aswell. I'm open to correction here tho!? :)

As for the comfort thing... Are you sure he is winded properly before you are putting him down for his naps? Trapped wind can be painful and cause babies to roar. U'll definitely notice this more when they are flat on their back as opposed to sitting up. He may also possibly have a bit of reflux?

I personally wouldn't put baby to nap in his carseat. I'm sure it's ok for a short nap tho. There are wedge cushions you can buy to put in his crib that will keep him slightly upright during and sleeping if it is a bit of reflux that he has. They can be very unsettled when on their back if they have wind/reflux.

You seem to be doing a great job tho. Wow sleeping through the night at only 11 weeks. I wish my 14 week old would do that! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Ger Byrne 1

sleep when you can

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

Sounds like you're doing a great job so far! I know the naps during the day can be frustrating. I was going to say reflux but if he sleeps at night lying down then maybe not? My guy used to sleep in his bouncer during the day if not in his pram. Do you have one of those? He was never a great sleeper during the day but slept all night until teething started !!

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭deh983

I'm not worried about the time he goes down it's keeping him asleep is the problem. He falls asleep no problem. He is very windy in fairness. We use gripe water and anytime I pick him up I try get up a bit. He also does a lot of grunting and groaning during the night.
    Yea the one blessing we have is he sleeps at night. He's a big active lad. Was 13lbs at 8 weeks!!!
    Yep we have a bouncer and he loves it but never sleeps in it. I wouldn't mind if he was happy after his short naps but he's cranky and crying and is obviously still tired. Oh the joys of it all :)

Great weight! You might find as he gets that bit older and more mobile he might not be as windy he will get it up himself. Might be a bit of a way off but it will happen! Then wind will be a distant memory. Until the next one ;-)

• Advertisement

Sorry I edited my previous post as you were replying :) this lad has been hard work and I have threatened that he will be an only child!!!

I found almost straight after my guy was born I was still on a high and was dreaming about baby no. 2! That high has well and truly worn away :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I found almost straight after my guy was born I was still on a high and was dreaming about baby no. 2! That high has well and truly worn away :-)

Lol... That's what happened to me. Don't do it!!!! Hahaha. Being pregnant with a toddler is a nightmare. I'm going to wait till Montessori before we try for number 3. Lol. Ah it's worth it tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Perhaps he has a very strong startle reflex? My daughter did and she used to literally jump out of her bones in her sleep and then couldn't get back to sleep. Naps were the worst and it wasn't so bad if she got into a deep sleep. Have you tried swaddling him in a light cotton blanket or a muslin cloth or something similar?

My son would only nap in his buggy so we walked the Phoenix and corkagh parks a lot and visited blanchardstown and Liffey valley shopping centres a lot on wet days.

Both fell into nap routines around 6 months. 11 weeks is still very early to expect a nap routine but it will come in time. Congrats on the full nights sleep though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Perhaps he has a very strong startle reflex? My daughter did and she used to literally jump out of her bones in her sleep and then couldn't get back to sleep. Naps were the worst and it wasn't so bad if she got into a deep sleep. Have you tried swaddling him in a light cotton blanket or a muslin cloth or something similar?

My son would only nap in his buggy so we walked the Phoenix and corkagh parks a lot and visited blanchardstown and Liffey valley shopping centres a lot on wet days.

Both fell into nap routines around 6 months. 11 weeks is still very early to expect a nap routine but it will come in time. Congrats on the full nights sleep though!

Hello me! I think we had the exact same experiences on our boys. My little guy is still the most unpredictable day napper. Some days he'll take two naps in creche and some he'll only take one. For example yesterday, he was up after his morning nap at 10:15am and refused to go down again albeit in great form though. Was just pooped come 6pm last night. I found it very stressful in the early months but once I just accepted that he's not a routine child, I actually didn't mind. Try not to overthink it too much and just take the naps wherever you can get them.

• Advertisement

I don't mind how many naps he takes once he's in good form but he gets cranky so it's obvious that he still needs them. It's a lot to do with wind I think so I'll just have to wind him for longer. I did that this morning had some play time till 8. Put him down on his side in pram and he's still asleep!!!
    Maybe he does have a touch if reflux. He was grunting and groaning from 4am until he woke properly at 6:30. He's keeping me on my toes I'll give him that much :)

Haha yes I find when I think I have it all figured out he changes something!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

deh983 wrote: »
    I don't mind how many naps he takes once he's in good form but he gets cranky so it's obvious that he still needs them. It's a lot to do with wind I think so I'll just have to wind him for longer. I did that this morning had some play time till 8. Put him down on his side in pram and he's still asleep!!!
    Maybe he does have a touch if reflux. He was grunting and groaning from 4am until he woke properly at 6:30. He's keeping me on my toes I'll give him that much :)

Do you have a sling or carrier? They're great for keeping the baby upright for the wind and they're nice a snug for napping. Less likely to be affected by the stars reflex cos they're swaddled into you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

It depends what suits you, but I've always found it easier for our family to have the baby napping where I can keep an eye on them. In the buggy, bouncy chair, sling or even reclined back in the high chair. I never go to the crib during the day, it's just too awkward. She sleeps happily away in all of those, clinging on to her comfort blanket with both hands.

I have a carrier that I haven't used yet so might give that a try. The last 2 days he had napped for 2 hours each time as I put him on his side.
    The newest trait he has is grunting & groaning during the night. He started this morning at 1:15!!! Think it might be hunger and we may have to up his bottles. He's draining 6ozs!!!

Advertisement