Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Advice- Will moving in with my partner affect his rent allowance if I'm on dole?

Options
  • 01-07-2014 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all-
    Looking for urgent advice.

My boyfriend is living in his own apartment and is supplemented with rent allowance as he is unemployed.

I've been living on my own the last few years.

I have just been made unemployed from my own business (I was a franchise manager and the company pulled the branch I was working in). I worked for them for 3 years but ran this shop as my own the last few months as a franchisee. (Didn't work out, shop takings were so low that I sometimes couldn't pay myself wages for weeks)

I have 234 PRSI Payslips from the company. I only took over the franchise in December, just before the New Year, so as far as I know, my payslips from the last two years should be ok shouldn't they?

We had been talking about moving in together shortly but now I am worried.

I am applying for Jobseeker's Benefit but am worried if this will affect his Rent Allowance.
    I don't want to mess up his financials and I am already worried enough about going on Jobseeker's.

I know there is no shame in being made unemployed but *I*personally am ashamed and very upset at the thought of other people's taxes supporting me. (I know this is ironic seeing as I have worked for the last 6 years nonstop and paid a fortune in taxes)

One friend of mine told me not to be ashamed, that I have genuinely fallen on hard times and god knows I've more than paid enough in taxes over the years.

It's not a case of sitting back and being "taken care of" or "paid for", more a case of should I feel this depressed about being on it, when I have worked so hard, paid all those taxes, for precisely this reason- to have support and finances if I ever lost my job.

If anyone has ANY information I would really appreciate it please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

Everything will change including both your social welfare payments as you will be co-habiting.

Rent supplement.

It could benefit how much rent supplement ye would receive but id imagine his Job seeker allowance will be reduced or vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 pixie90210

Thanks for the help!

I'm very woried as I don't even know if I qualify for Jobseekers. Basically, I took over a franchise in December.
    It didn't work so the company pulled it yesterday, with no direct notice. Literally, we know you're struggling so we're taking it back, thanks for the keys, seeya!

But for months I was unable to pay myself a wage as it was going so badly. I had to live off my savings that I was setting aside for college in a few years and that's totally gone.

I was technically self employed but I worked for them for 3 years.
    The accountant said that despite me being self-employed, I might be able to qualify for 3 reasons-
    1- I was self-employed for less than a year (about 7 months to be precise)
    2- I still worked FOR THEM prior to the takeover and have all the payslips from the from my very first week, nearly 3 years ago
    and 3- As the shop did so poorly, I couldn't even pay myself minimum wage.

I have well over the amount of necessary paid PRSI payslips from working for the company, which I know the social will accept as long as they were within the last 2 years.

I'm sorry to rant all this but I am literally flat broke and have no idea where to go or what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Immaculata

Where are you living currently, OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 pixie90210

Living in Kildare at the moment

Advertisement