Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spider ID

• 01-07-2014 8:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what species of spider this is? Legs have about a 20mm span at the longest point (rear of abdomen to tips of front legs).

9E767AE32BF141F392D3E931DAF24FDD-0000318105-0003600482-00500L-A18CC46487EF402685C70F9A8D1E8455.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

I think it is Steatoda nobilis (male); if not it is a Steatoda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Probably but it has been here for ages and the Daily Mail is kind of well known for sensationalism. How many people do you know who have been injured from them. I have them in my house and so do lots of people.
    Do not panic. Des

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Thanks, I have the big female Steatoda nobilis in my shed, hadn't seen a male before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Desmo wrote: »
    Probably but it has been here for ages and the Daily Mail is kind of well known for sensationalism. How many people do you know who have been injured from them. I have them in my house and so do lots of people.
    Do not panic. Des

Absolutely! If, and a big if, one bites it is the same as a bee sting.
    4 or 5 people die after bee or wasp stings in the UK every year but the Mail doesn't write sensationalist pieces about that. Nobody has died in the UK from a spider bite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

I actually don't know them very well in such good light as yer photo. I just know them from their size and shape and from having identified them when I was a kid (microscope and matching pictures of genitalia). I never knew they were so famous until reading threads here about a year ago. Good on ya for knowing you have one in your shed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Desmo wrote: »
    I actually don't know them very well in such good light as yer photo. I just know them from their size and shape and from having identified them when I was a kid (microscope and matching pictures of genitalia). I never knew they were so famous until reading threads here about a year ago. Good on ya for knowing you have one in your shed.

The photograph is in my house - a smallish male. I have lot's of big females in the shed, different markings to the male and way bigger (why I didn't know it was a Steodata). I'm always a bit careful rummaging around in the shed, just in case!

Advertisement