Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Golf

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

jtown wrote: »
    So it gets even better!!

Sent me out the belt clip and got it yesterday, I changed it and tired to turn it on after I put the new one on it, couple of bits (spring and some other small bit) fell out of it when I unscrewed it and when I put back the old one back on it wasn't turning on at all. DISASTER!

So got onto their support team and guess what!

They are dispatching a new device to me..

The best customer service I have ever come across. ;););)

The price has dropped on the USA site to 149$ that's a big jump from 300$ I'd be thinking sales are falling away. It's fairly crap imo as the averages unrealistic due to wind etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Sorry to bump this thread but I've seen Game Golf down to around €150 in a few places and I'm quite tempted to be honest. How are people finding it now after an extended period with it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Sorry to bump this thread but I've seen Game Golf down to around €150 in a few places and I'm quite tempted to be honest. How are people finding it now after an extended period with it?

I gave up using mine, found it too distracting.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I gave up using mine, found it too distracting.

I love stats though so I don't think it'd be too distracting for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

From the off, game golf made no sense to me - tapping would just do my head in .

There are other technology options out there now.

That is why it is 150.

• Advertisement

From the off, game golf made no sense to me - tapping would just do my head in .

There are other technology options out there now.

That is why it is 150.

What other technology is available? Interested to see if I've missed something which might be more beneficial.

What other technology is available? Interested to see if I've missed something which might be more beneficial.

It is expensive at present

But only a matter of time before it is cheaper / or some other technology that does not need touching.

https://www.arccosgolf.com/

It is expensive at present

But only a matter of time before it is cheaper / or some other technology that does not need touching.

https://www.arccosgolf.com/

Similar to the Game Golf without the tapping? Will read up on it a bit more though.

Similar to the Game Golf without the tapping? Will read up on it a bit more though.

I still don't think it is a perfect option as you need phone on you.

Only a matter of time it will be linked to watch etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

I was at the game golf stand at the PGA Merchandise show and they have a new device which doesn't need tapping

• Advertisement

I was at the game golf stand at the PGA Merchandise show and they have a new device which doesn't need tapping

Interesting. Did they have an RRP set?

I love stats though so I don't think it'd be too distracting for me.

I’m the exact same but when your standing over a shot and the only thing going through your head is “did I tag this shot” is not ideal. I might give it another go this summer in a few practice rounds.

It’s only the live version you need your phone (and it kills the battery in no time)
    Can be used without your phone, like the old version, if you want.

Can be got cheep second hand now as well.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I’m the exact same but when your standing over a shot and the only thing going through your head is “did I tag this shot” is not ideal. I might give it another go this summer in a few practice rounds.

I think it's just something I'd have to get used to. Build it into my preshot routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Bottle

I have it in my pregame routine, got one of those washing machine tab bags and stuck it in that and have it on my bag. Works well except for putts...

Yes - tapping anything in this day and age is like a fax machine.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Been using it for over 2 years now, tapping is not a problem and I do it subconsciously

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

slave1 wrote: »
    Been using it for over 2 years now, tapping is not a problem and I do it subconsciously

Have to agree with Slave1. I basically am doing it unconsciously at this stage. Even when I'm not using it I find myself moving my club to my waist as I'm going to address the ball, so its, in essence, habit by now.

I haven't been using it over the winter in my place. Bad conditions, placing, winter course in play, etc... as well as only playing 9 or 12 hole comps in my own place while the winter league is on.

I think its a great tool, especially if you are a bit geeky about numbers. You could go into serious detail if you wanted too (comparing distance you hit clubs out of the rough, versus from the fairway, etc...)

Will take a while to build up a meaningful database of numbers obviously...but that just means playing golf, so its not too much of a hardship :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Have to agree with Slave1. I basically am doing it unconsciously at this stage. Even when I'm not using it I find myself moving my club to my waist as I'm going to address the ball, so its, in essence, habit by now.

I haven't been using it over the winter in my place. Bad conditions, placing, winter course in play, etc... as well as only playing 9 or 12 hole comps in my own place while the winter league is on.

I think its a great tool, especially if you are a bit geeky about numbers. You could go into serious detail if you wanted too (comparing distance you hit clubs out of the rough, versus from the fairway, etc...)

Will take a while to build up a meaningful database of numbers obviously...but that just means playing golf, so its not too much of a hardship :D

lol, snap, not using mine either over winter due to playing only 14 holes mostly, so forget to bring it out when i do actually play 18. even if i did, hard to guage numbers properly with the conditions so best left for spring/summer golf.

i do find myself going to tap it a lot lately!

It's at £91 including postage now buying from Amazon through their global store.

Think I'll pull the trigger at that price.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B014UY7LV2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_jpyFAbGHXVGHF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Mat the trasher

Had been considering a tracker, actually have a PIQ but find the tagging cumbersome, after losing the PIQ robot I looked at alternatives and found this, seemed to me to be the best device spec of the trackers I found and has built in GPS. Haven’t bought one but if I was replacing my GPS watch I would buy.

https://shotscope.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

Had been considering a tracker, actually have a PIQ but find the tagging cumbersome, after losing the PIQ robot I looked at alternatives and found this, seemed to me to be the best device spec of the trackers I found and has built in GPS. Haven’t bought one but if I was replacing my GPS watch I would buy.

https://shotscope.com/

Actually looked this up looks brilliant providing it does everything it says and there's no bugs can't really find and descent reviews but think its just new out so might take a while.

I see Matt mentioned the Shot Scope above and I'm currently looking for a new GPS device after my Golf Buddy bit the dust.

I had also been playing with the idea of the Game Golf to add stat tracking to help me improve my game, so now I'm considering Shot Scope V2 which seems to offer both stat tracking and GPS in one package.

Has anyone here used Shot Scope? Or can anyone offer any thoughts on the above?

I see Matt mentioned the Shot Scope above and I'm currently looking for a new GPS device after my Golf Buddy bit the dust.

I had also been playing with the idea of the Game Golf to add stat tracking to help me improve my game, so now I'm considering Shot Scope V2 which seems to offer both stat tracking and GPS in one package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

TitianGerm wrote: »

I haven't tried shot scope.
    There's a new game golf coming out soon see site. You won't have to tag which was the biggest problem with the old one. Bear in mind you will only get average distances, it won't consider the wind or slope it shot type so club distances are not going to be accurate.

I've started using mine again, used it for my last 2 rounds. Its just hi-lighted that i'm terrible at golf!! Lots to work on!!

I haven't tried shot scope.
    There's a new game golf coming out soon see site. You won't have to tag which was the biggest problem with the old one. Bear in mind you will only get average distances, it won't consider the wind or slope it shot type so club distances are not going to be accurate.

Thanks for that. The new model looks much nicer it has to be said.

I was leaning towards the Shot Scope as my Golf Buddy is on its last legs at the moment and the SS gives you both the GPS watch and round stats. By buying the SS I wouldn't need to buy a new GPS device in a few months.

For anyone who was considering the Shot Scope V2 they have 10% off now at the minute. Total price is £202.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Blud

Has anyone tried the Shot Scope?

• Advertisement

Blud wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the Shot Scope?

Not yet but I was thinking of getting it for a while now and the extra 10% off is making it more attractive.

It's either the Shot Scope or a Garmin S20 (€150ish) so for an extra €70 I'll get more information about my round.

Edit: And just ordered. Will update here on initial impressions.

Advertisement