Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Golf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

TitianGerm wrote: »
    For anyone who was considering the Shot Scope V2 they have 10% off now at the minute. Total price is £202.50.
    Just ordered it last week but got the 10% off a very nice person on chat, should have held onto code for today! Ordered it last Monday so will hopefully have it during the week, it is only coming from Scotland after all!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,047 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

tbayers wrote: »
    Just ordered it last week but got the 10% off a very nice person on chat, should have held onto code for today! Ordered it last Monday so will hopefully have it during the week, it is only coming from Scotland after all!

It looks a great device, especially for me where I needed a new GPS so it was very little extra outlaw for the stat tracking.

I'm just back playing and I'm finding it very hard to judge my distances with my irons so after a few rounds with SS it should give me solid averages.

Saying that I'm hitting the ball far better now than when I finished playing so I'm not complaining :pac:

Yup, I had a TomTom Golfer 2 watch. After 6 months with no issues at all and delighted with all the stats (which were a bit limited), it suddenly stopped updating to my phone. Tried everything from wiping my phone,to the watch, you name but nothing would work. I found their customer service extremely limited too. So after playing nearly 10 months with just a fancy GPS that is only useful for yardage, I am really looking forward to the Shot Scope.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭benny79

Interested on hearing your thoughts on it lads as been looking at it for a while now..

So just had my first round with the Shotscope V2. Very impressed. The only thing you really need to be aware of in the round while using the watch is to say how many putts you have had while standing next to the hole. This then feeds back into the software the location of the flag on the day. I only forgot to do this on one hole, but it was easily remedied post round using the software.
    Had a bit of a brain fart on the second hole and I lost my ball. Creamed my provisional and make a bogey. Had to remedy this post round as the watch thought that was my only shot. There is an update for this that i didn't get around to downloading that makes it easier when hitting a provisional. I also lost a ball and therefore scratched it on another hole. I selected "picked up" on the watch and this went down as a zero. As it was stroke play I had to remedy this again post round to make sure my average won't be affected going forward. In this instance, my round score was lowered due to my scratch.
    The editing took 5 mins on my computer when I went home. But knowing whats what for the next round, a lot less editing should be required.

On the course I was unsure whether a shot was being picked up or not but it turned out it did a great job in hindsight. Never missed a swing that hit a ball. The statistics it provides post round is fantastic. It will be a great help once a few rounds start accumulating. Overall 9/10. Lost a mark because there is no way of tracking the score, a small negative.

I imagine the positives it has over the Game Golf is the fact you don't have to tap the club off anything for it to register a shot. I haven't seen the application Game Golf uses either but whatever it uses it would be hard to better the Shotscope software.

• Advertisement

So just had my first round with the Shotscope V2. Very impressed. The only thing you really need to be aware of in the round while using the watch is to say how many putts you have had while standing next to the hole. This then feeds back into the software the location of the flag on the day. I only forgot to do this on one hole, but it was easily remedied post round using the software.
    Had a bit of a brain fart on the second hole and I lost my ball. Creamed my provisional and make a bogey. Had to remedy this post round as the watch thought that was my only shot. There is an update for this that i didn't get around to downloading that makes it easier when hitting a provisional. I also lost a ball and therefore scratched it on another hole. I selected "picked up" on the watch and this went down as a zero. As it was stroke play I had to remedy this again post round to make sure my average won't be affected going forward. In this instance, my round score was lowered due to my scratch.
    The editing took 5 mins on my computer when I went home. But knowing whats what for the next round, a lot less editing should be required.

On the course I was unsure whether a shot was being picked up or not but it turned out it did a great job in hindsight. Never missed a swing that hit a ball. The statistics it provides post round is fantastic. It will be a great help once a few rounds start accumulating. Overall 9/10. Lost a mark because there is no way of tracking the score, a small negative.

I imagine the positives it has over the Game Golf is the fact you don't have to tap the club off anything for it to register a shot. I haven't seen the application Game Golf uses either but whatever it uses it would be hard to better the Shotscope software.

Great initial impression. I ordered mine last Saturday but no sign of it arriving yet :(

How long were you waiting for delivery?

Great initial impression. I ordered mine last Saturday but no sign of it arriving yet :(

How long were you waiting for delivery?

ordered on a Saturday too, came around ten days later on a Tuesday

ordered on a Saturday too, came around ten days later on a Tuesday

Hopefully I'll see it Tuesday or Wednesday then. First Medal is next weekend so would like to have them for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

Thinking of investing in this now the price has dropped. Have a range finder so have a rough idea of what I hit distance wise, but would be nice to be able to pinpoint struggling areas. Off 14 at the moment, so a little hesitant as to whether I should put the 150 into lessons instead..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

Game Golf Live is £99 on Amazon so it's a lot cheaper than Shot Scope.
    For those who have bought a Game Golf, is it worth it? Does it also give you live GPS info on distances to the green and to hazards? If so are these accurate?

• Advertisement

My Shot Scope V2 arrived today, 9 days from ordering.

Initial impression:

Packaging is very good, good quality box and shipped very securly.

Watch is quite big but very light. Strap is very rubbery which may get a little uncomfortable in warm weather. The menus are very easy to scroll through and I'd no problems updating to the latest software, installing courses and setting up my Bag.

Tags seem well made. There is a nice weight to each one and the screw is quite thick so I'd imagine you'd have to be quite ham fisted to break one.

Off to a good start so far and I'll be testing on course on Sunday for the first medal. Will report back after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

stockdam wrote: »
    Game Golf Live is £99 on Amazon so it's a lot cheaper than Shot Scope.
    For those who have bought a Game Golf, is it worth it? Does it also give you live GPS info on distances to the green and to hazards? If so are these accurate?

No, it will end up in your drawer. Is it accurate? No, because your club data that is tagged is not usable. I hit my 7 iron 150m on a calm day game golf says I hit my 7 iron 126m on average. The reason is your hitting shots into the wind with the wind, uphill and down hill.
    So let's say I go to the par 3 on my course 150m (laser measured) to the pin no wind. If I look at the stats I need to hit a 4 iron. It just makes no sense.
    Useful stats are proximity to pin fairways hit or missed but anyone can do that by marking a card with for gir and putts in the colms provided on the score card.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

No, it will end up in your drawer. Is it accurate? No, because your club data that is tagged is not usable. I hit my 7 iron 150m on a calm day game golf says I hit my 7 iron 126m on average. The reason is your hitting shots into the wind with the wind, uphill and down hill.
    So let's say I go to the par 3 on my course 150m (laser measured) to the pin no wind. If I look at the stats I need to hit a 4 iron. It just makes no sense.
    Useful stats are proximity to pin fairways hit or missed but anyone can do that by marking a card with for gir and putts in the colms provided on the score card.

Thanks for that. My question about yardage is "does it give you a realtime accurate reading" ........so if it says that you are 150 yards from the centre of the green then you are. I understand that the average club distances it gives may be misleading at first, but surely over time it is correct (same number of into wind and down wind etc) although duffs do need to be ignored.
    I guess that if you chip with your 8 iron then that might cause your 8 iron distances to be badly skewed.
    In the past I calibrated my irons by walking out distances and hitting hundreds of balls on a flat practice ground.

Last question. Golf Game gives you GPS distance and for £99 is there anything better? It records what you did with each club and, yes, you will need to edit the data after the round to eliminate the outliers including into wind and down wind etc.

Thanks for that. My question about yardage is "does it give you a realtime accurate reading" ........so if it says that you are 150 yards from the centre of the green then you are. I agree that what your average club from that distance may be misleading at first, but surely over time it is correct (same number of into wind and down wind etc) although duffs do need to be ignored.
    I guess that if you chip with your 8 iron then that might cause your 8 iron distances to be badly skewed.
    In the past I calibrated my irons by walking out distances and hitting hundreds of balls on a flat practice ground.

Last question. Golf Game gives you GPS distance and for £99 is there anything better? It records what you did with each club and, yes, you will need to edit the data after the round to eliminate the outliers including into wind and down wind etc.

Yes it is accurate as a GPS for yardages but you need to use your phone to get the yardages. A 150yd uphill shot will still play longer naturally enough.
    You can download hole 19 for free it does the same thing if you are just after yardages.
    However using your smart phone on the course is a pain, with it going into standby, unlocking it and losing signal etc.
    Second question: You can't remove chip shots, knockdown shots and duffs without destroying the round you collected your data on. As it will be an incomplete round.
    One feature I do like about gg is the comparison to different handicapers. For example you compare yourself to a scratch it shows how many shots gained or lost on different areas of the game. Driving I might gain a shot and scrambling I might lose 4 shots a round etc.
    It shows where you can make the biggest improvement.
    I knew it was short game but its nice to see what I can gain in a round.
    In saying that though mine is sitting in a drawer I haven't used it in ages. The last time I tried using it I got off to an awful start and forgot to tag and a few holes later I just threw the gg in the bag.
    Not having to tag would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,531 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

If you have a very small database, then yes, you're going to get skewed data. For example, if I use all data (94 rounds) my 6I gives a typical hit of 168yrds, whereas, if I just limit it to my last 5 rounds, I get a number of 155yrds. Like an piece of data tracking & analysis software, the more info you give it, the more accurate data you get out from it.
    Thanks for that. My question about yardage is "does it give you a realtime accurate reading" ........so if it says that you are 150 yards from the centre of the green then you are. I understand that the average club distances it gives may be misleading at first, but surely over time it is correct (same number of into wind and down wind etc) although duffs do need to be ignored.

So, in essence, it does ignore duffs & pitches/chips automatically when determining your distances. For example, with my Pitching Wedge, I can see a big fat curve at the bottom of total shots hit, for shots around the green, but its ignoring those shots in calculating my distances with the club. It has bounds set around what it determines to be a (relatively) full swing with the club. So I might have hundreds of shots that are within 10-15yards with that club, but the bounds that it sets for determining distances are a low of 98yrds, high of 148yrds & typical of 125yrds
    Yes it is accurate as a GPS for yardages but you need to use your phone to get the yardages. A 150yd uphill shot will still play longer naturally enough.
    You can download hole 19 for free it does the same thing if you are just after yardages.
    However using your smart phone on the course is a pain, with it going into standby, unlocking it and losing signal etc.
    Second question: You can't remove chip shots, knockdown shots and duffs without destroying the round you collected your data on. As it will be an incomplete round.
    One feature I do like about gg is the comparison to different handicapers. For example you compare yourself to a scratch it shows how many shots gained or lost on different areas of the game. Driving I might gain a shot and scrambling I might lose 4 shots a round etc.
    It shows where you can make the biggest improvement.
    I knew it was short game but its nice to see what I can gain in a round.
    In saying that though mine is sitting in a drawer I haven't used it in ages. The last time I tried using it I got off to an awful start and forgot to tag and a few holes later I just threw the gg in the bag.
    Not having to tag would be great.

The GPS, is really just an app on your phone, there is nothing on the device. So it'll work fine. You technically wouldn't even need GameGolf itself to install the app I would imagine & use the GPS. The only catch really is that it'll be a drain on your phone battery, and generally battery-life on smart phones is not great, at the best of times.

Agreed re the Strokes Gained benchmarking tool, its a very easy visual tool to see what areas of your game are hurting you most. You can benchmark against different handicap levels. So, if you're a 15 handicap, with a target of 10, you could benchmark against a 10 handicap & it'll show where you're gaining/losing shots typically (as above, you probably already know that). It also gives some decent pointers on more specifics & the expected gain from improving in that area. For example, if I benchmark against a 5 handicap, the tips I get are:

Putting:
    Practice your medium putts between 10-33 feet to lower your score by up to 0.7 strokes per round

Short Game:
    Increase your accuracy less than 25 yards from the rough to lower your score by up to 0.62 strokes per round

Off The Tee:
    Improve your tee shots on holes between 350-400 yards to lower your score by up to 0.58 strokes per round

Approach:
    Work on your shots between 125-150 yards from the rough to lower your score by up to 0.35 strokes per round

If you're a bit nerdy around numbers & tech, then you'll likely get some benefit from it. If not, it might not be worth it.

From looking at the Shotscope it does look like an advancement in the tech. I don't mind tagging, but I can see why people would be irritated by it

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

That's bonkers. You could say the same about any range finder or measuring device. Surely you use game golf (or any similar gadget) to get an average distance you hit your 7 iron for example. You then need to adjust depending on weather conditions on certain days or course conditions. What you want is a caddy!!

I always thought Game golf was to get a true understanding of your golf game. For example, I'd like to know when I try and really turn the shoulders on a drive and get extra distance do I always leak to a certain side. Or is there specific clubs in the bag which I consistently don't strike well etc so I can work on this.

wardides wrote: »
    That's bonkers. You could say the same about any range finder or measuring device. Surely you use game golf (or any similar gadget) to get an average distance you hit your 7 iron for example. You then need to adjust depending on weather conditions on certain days or course conditions. What you want is a caddy!!

I always thought Game golf was to get a true understanding of your golf game. For example, I'd like to know when I try and really turn the shoulders on a drive and get extra distance do I always leak to a certain side. Or is there specific clubs in the bag which I consistently don't strike well etc so I can work on this.

It depends on how much you are going to rely on the gg typical distances. Are the typical when hitting into the wind or down wind up hill down hill. You may find on a certain hole you use a particular club more due to the length of the hole. Does that typically play up down hill or a prevailing wind.
    That can skew your data. Maybe on certain courses with no wind or temperature change in holland lets say you might filter out everything except strike.
    Bottom line what's sell gg is consumers big fat ego, I hit a 342yd drive and I have it recorded. Down wind with massive roll is not really revelant.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭boban z

I have GG and find it useful. To get the full benefit of it you need to record a significant number of rounds.
    Look at the average distance per club and this should give you a good indication of what you should be hitting with each club under normal conditions i.e no wind and flat shot etc.
    Remember we are not professionals. We don't hit the same club the same distance every time. It's all about getting an indication of your own capabilities per club.

I also find useful the 'off the tee' stats. I knew I tended to leak the ball slightly right but having that stat in presentation form in front of me made me do something about it......and I did
    Last 10 rounds v's last 30 rounds I see significant improvement on 'off the tee' stats. In my view GG highlighted the issue and I took measures to resolve it.

Is GG the Roll Royce of golf technology.........no.
    But it is a great little device for relatively little money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

https://practical-golf.com/shot-scope-v2-review/

This review of shotscope has me considering buying one, any update from those that have got it recently

redzerdrog wrote: »

This review of shotscope has me considering buying one, any update from those that have got it recently

So far I am very happy.

Although the watch is quite big it is very light. My previous GPS clipped to my driver head cover and I don't tend to wear normal watches but the ShotScope didn't bother me at all when I'm wearing it and playing. The straps are a rubbery material and can cause your wrist to sweat a little but not a problem for me again. The only concern I'd have is the cover over the charging port is a little flimsy.

The tags are good quality and seem quite sturdy. I had tour velvet grips on my irons and because of the rounded top on the grip the tag sat up a little. On my driver I've multi-compound grips and the tag sits flush with the top of the grip. I feel you'd be less likely to damage a tag putting your clubs in and out of your bag with the the multi-compound grip.

The user interface is very straight forward on the watch and the distances are bang on (I've tested against Garmin, Tom Tom and a Range Finder). The option to show distances to hazards is very handy as well. There are three modes to select depending on what you need, GPS only,. Track only and GPS and Track.

The website and app give a very nice break down of your stats but as I haven't used mine enough yet I haven't built up enough information to get my averages. Editing your round is also very easy, although a little less finiky on the website.

I'm based in Wexford but if your around the area your more than welcome to have a look at it.

• Advertisement

So far I am very happy.

Although the watch is quite big it is very light. My previous GPS clipped to my driver head cover and I don't tend to wear normal watches but the ShotScope didn't bother me at all when I'm wearing it and playing. The straps are a rubbery material and can cause your wrist to sweat a little but not a problem for me again. The only concern I'd have is the cover over the charging port is a little flimsy.

The tags are good quality and seem quite sturdy. I had tour velvet grips on my irons and because of the rounded top on the grip the tag sat up a little. On my driver I've multi-compound grips and the tag sits flush with the top of the grip. I feel you'd be less likely to damage a tag putting your clubs in and out of your bag with the the multi-compound grip.

The user interface is very straight forward on the watch and the distances are bang on (I've tested against Garmin, Tom Tom and a Range Finder). The option to show distances to hazards is very handy as well. There are three modes to select depending on what you need, GPS only,. Track only and GPS and Track.

The website and app give a very nice break down of your stats but as I haven't used mine enough yet I haven't built up enough information to get my averages. Editing your round is also very easy, although a little less finiky on the website.

I'm based in Wexford but if your around the area your more than welcome to have a look at it.
    Cheers, sounds good.

From the review above he is slightly critical of use on the greens for tracking putts. Any thoughts on that?

Cheers, sounds good.

From the review above he is slightly critical of use on the greens for tracking putts. Any thoughts on that?

When your on the green the watch automatically changes to a pin select option.

Once your finished on the green you need to let the watch know where the pin was on that day. If have a two putt you stand over the hole and press the button corresponding to two, this updates the hole and let's ShotScope know pin location for the day.

After a few holes I got in the routine of pressing the number of putts as I was picking my ball out of the hole.

I've attached a screenshot of the stats for putting from the app. Ideally it could give a little more information but for me I want to know how many 1, 2 and 3 putts I'm having per round. (Ignore the four putt... That didn't happen ;))

When your on the green the watch automatically changes to a pin select option.

Once your finished on the green you need to let the watch know where the pin was on that day. If have a two putt you stand over the hole and press the button corresponding to two, this updates the hole and let's ShotScope know pin location for the day.

After a few holes I got in the routine of pressing the number of putts as I was picking my ball out of the hole.

I've attached a screenshot of the stats for putting from the app. Ideally it could give a little more information but for me I want to know how many 1, 2 and 3 putts I'm having per round. (Ignore the four putt... That didn't happen ;))

So does it pick up any shots hit with the putter on the green? You mark on the green where the pin is placed & how many putts you took. How does it determine if you took long/medium/short putts. (sorry, its just not that clear from what I've read before how it picks up the actual details of the putts you've taken)

I know for myself using GameGolf, I always bring a second card around with me when I'm playing a comp. I mark my own score on it, as well as an approximate pin position for update afterwards (F-M-B, L-C-R). So if the flag was front right I mark FR on my card.

Its not perfect, but gets me something relatively accurate.

So does it pick up any shots hit with the putter on the green? You mark on the green where the pin is placed & how many putts you took. How does it determine if you took long/medium/short putts. (sorry, its just not that clear from what I've read before how it picks up the actual details of the putts you've taken)

I know for myself using GameGolf, I always bring a second card around with me when I'm playing a comp. I mark my own score on it, as well as an approximate pin position for update afterwards (F-M-B, L-C-R). So if the flag was front right I mark FR on my card.

Its not perfect, but gets me something relatively accurate.

It does show each individual putt on the green and it'll tell you the distance of each one (see screenshot). I just haven't figured out yet how they calculate Short/Medium/Long putts yet.

I'm zoomed in fully on the green there so you can see the individual putts so that's why it's a bit blurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I presume it picks up the putt the same way as it would an iron shot, by inputting the final number of putts at the hole.it helps pinpoint where you finished as there wouldn't be another strike on that hole.

Question though if putting from the fairway would that be included when inputting the number of putts?

I presume it picks up the putt the same way as it would an iron shot, by inputting the final number of putts at the hole.it helps pinpoint where you finished as there wouldn't be another strike on that hole.

Question though if putting from the fairway would that be included when inputting the number of putts?

The putter also has a tag so yes it picks that up the same way as the irons and woods. Correct on the input of putts as well. When you pick the number you had the watch moves into the next hole.

As far as I can tell it doesn't pull putts from off the green into your putting averages. If you putt from the green it gives a little logo of a green and flag on the app and if you use your putter from off the green it shows the fairway logo.

I have had 7 rounds on it now and extremely happy. The statistics it produces are starting to show some trends, some are obvious, others not so much. I have a nice trend in relation to my irons where it shows a gap or roughly 12-14 yards between clubs. It also has a nice option to take away positional shots, mis hits etc.

Putting is very good too, records everything that you would want. I also thought it looked very big when I took it out from the pack but that was soon forgotten after my first drive. Has never failed to track a shot for me, even those little knocks forwards/sideways under trees, hazards etc.

Again given that the majority of golf played in Ireland is Stableford you may need to do a bit of fiddling around editing wise if you are scratching holes. Other than that I highly reccomend.

I have had 7 rounds on it now and extremely happy. The statistics it produces are starting to show some trends, some are obvious, others not so much. I have a nice trend in relation to my irons where it shows a gap or roughly 12-14 yards between clubs. It also has a nice option to take away positional shots, mis hits etc.

Putting is very good too, records everything that you would want. I also thought it looked very big when I took it out from the pack but that was soon forgotten after my first drive. Has never failed to track a shot for me, even those little knocks forwards/sideways under trees, hazards etc.

Again given that the majority of golf played in Ireland is Stableford you may need to do a bit of fiddling around editing wise if you are scratching holes. Other than that I highly reccomend.

How do you take away the miss hits and positional shots? I hadn't figured that out yet.

You can hit the P.Avg button on the dashboard page or hit positional shot on edit page. The P.Avg seems to work best for me, it's smart enough to realise what is what

• Advertisement

You can hit the P.Avg button on the dashboard page or hit positional shot on edit page. The P.Avg seems to work best for me, it's smart enough to realise what is what

So if I mark a shot as a "Postional" shot when editing a round it'll exclude the shot from the averages when you pick the P-Avg tab?

I'll have to do that with my gap wedge as I use that around the green chipping.

Advertisement