Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old A provisional licence

• 01-07-2014 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this has been asked before but................

I held an old paper A licence for a bike , renewed for years and years as was the way back in the day , a test booked but due to a bastard insurance company messing up , i had to miss the test , and the licence has since expired

my question , should i not be entitled to an A licence as i held one before , as per the rules when it was issued.
    when it lapsed in the past , they had to issue an A again and not a A1 or any training.
    where do i stand?

has anyone come across this ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭Pierced Off

If I'm right, the NDLS work on the premise that anything that took place more than 5 years ago didn't happen. That means regardless of what you held in the past, once 5 years have elapsed you have to start from scratch and begin all over again. This includes the IBT as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭AD!

As pierced off said. Think if it expired more than 5 years ago you have to start all over again. Worth giving the NDLS a ring though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

5 years is 100%. Just speaking to NDLS the other day and was lucky to be 4 1/2 years out. Over 5 years its back to square one. Your the same as someone who never had a license.

However if your over 25 it makes a difference in youll get the A but youll have to do the Lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

5 years is 100%. Just speaking to NDLS the other day and was lucky to be 4 1/2 years out. Over 5 years its back to square one. Your the same as someone who never had a license.

However if your over 25 it makes a difference in youll get the A but youll have to do the Lessons.

i THINK its under 5 years - but not by much :(

IF its under 5 years , do you just get an A licence ready to go for test ?

thank you for the speedy replies !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

If your learner permit has not expired for more than 5 years, and your original first learner permit was issued before October 1999, you would be excused any ibt training because there were no restrictions then. If after oct 1999, they were restricted to 25kw.

If you permit has expired over 5 years, its back to start again and ibt before you go on the road.

• Advertisement

i have just spoken to the NDLS , and according to them , i can just apply for an A licecne becasue i am over 25 and held an A licence in the last 10 years

the guy just said on the phone that i would have no restrictions on what i could drive , and i would be able to apply for the test straight away

So i am not sure did ichange from when the RSA were doing it to the NDLS , but its looking like the 5 years is out the window , and becasue i held a A before , i am good to go !!!

http://www.ndls.ie/Driving-Licence/about-the-new-plastic-card-licence.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

dj jarvis wrote: »
    i have just spoken to the NDLS , and according to them , i can just apply for an A licecne becasue i am over 25 and held an A licence in the last 10 years

the guy just said on the phone that i would have no restrictions on what i could drive , and i would be able to apply for the test straight away

So i am not sure did ichange from when the RSA were doing it to the NDLS , but its looking like the 5 years is out the window , and becasue i held a A before , i am good to go !!!

http://www.ndls.ie/Driving-Licence/about-the-new-plastic-card-licence.html

Its not as simple as that.
    You may be issued with an A unrestricted Learner permit because you are over 24, BUT unless your original first learner permit was issued BEFORE Oct 1999 and had not expired for over 5 years, you WILL have to complete IBT before you can ride an unrestricted bike on public roads.

The learner permits since oct 1999 were all restricted to 25kw.
    A 25kw = A2.

scrub that , they guy i was talking was a gimp , it is 5 years , my licence is out 5 years and 2 months , i will have to start from scratch :mad:

I DONT FING BELIEVE THIS CRAP - i have 25 years biking and they want me to do basic training AGAIN , FFS !!!!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

scrub that , they guy i was talking was a gimp , it is 5 years , my licence is out 5 years and 2 months , i will have to start from scratch :mad:

I DONT FING BELIEVE THIS CRAP - i have 25 years biking and they want me to do basic training AGAIN , FFS !!!!:eek:

Yeah, I had that back in 2010 after a ten-year hiatus. Before that I rode bikes for twelve years - Gixxers, FZRs, that kind of thing - and I was just lucky to get my full "A" again before this IBT caper came in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭chasm

Yeah, from what I've read, for a provisional/ learner permit it's 5 years and for a full licence it is 10 years. Perhaps the use of the word "licence" confused them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭Pierced Off

Find a good instructor and talk to him. Yes, you will have to officially do IBT 1,3, & 5 but realistically you know it all and should be done in a day. Yes, it is a right pain in the *&%$ but thems is the rules and if it's any help you're not the first one to get caught out by this, believe me I know. In my case my full was issued overseas and I let it expire. The end result was the RSA, NDLS or whatever name they went by at the time made me start from scratch all over again. So you have my sympathy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

In fairness, back to biking 40+ year olds are the highest risk group. Its not actually a bad idea.

In fairness, back to biking 40+ year olds are the highest risk group. Its not actually a bad idea.

True - but i have 15 years as a courier working in Dublin , along with my club driving , not being big headed , but the instructors and testers would not have as much road time and experience as me combined , no points , never broke a finger nail , IM THAT GOOD :cool:

Canny, wobbly old Hectors who've survived thus far?? I doubt it! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

True - but i have 15 years as a courier working in Dublin , along with my club driving , not being big headed , but the instructors and testers would not have as much road time and experience as me combined , no points , never broke a finger nail , IM THAT GOOD :cool:

Out of curiosity, in close to 20 years of driving a bike why did you not get licensed?
    jimgoose wrote: »
    Canny, wobbly old Hectors who've survived thus far?? I doubt it! :pac:

Believe it. Even before biking was made impossible for 18-24 year olds, back to biking 40-50 year olds were the highest risk group. But they could afford the insurance. That obviously isn't going to apply that much to DJ Jarvis, but it doesn't stop it being true. Not sure of the reason but at a guess I would say its to do with the loss of skill(hazard perception), vastly increased bike power and over-confidence.

...vastly increased bike power...
    There sure is that. I'm no stranger to superbike performance, but a 2012 ZX-10R frightened the living shít out of me a few months ago. :pac::pac::pac:

Out of curiosity, in close to 20 years of driving a bike why did you not get licensed?

Believe it. Even before biking was made impossible for 18-24 year olds, back to biking 40-50 year olds were the highest risk group. But they could afford the insurance. That obviously isn't going to apply that much to DJ Jarvis, but it doesn't stop it being true. Not sure of the reason but at a guess I would say its to do with the loss of skill(hazard perception), vastly increased bike power and over-confidence.

becasue for nearly 20 years , if i gave them 15 pound they gave me another licence , and the insurance company's did not seem to care either , so once a year , i handed over the 15 pound , and they gave me a licence

thats why - it was set up to encourage that kind of thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

becasue for nearly 20 years , if i gave them 15 pound they gave me another licence , and the insurance company's did not seem to care either , so once a year , i handed over the 15 pound , and they gave me a licence

thats why - it was set up to encourage that kind of thinking.

I can see your point but you do these things for yourself not because the system is easy. I got my licence within 1 month of training and I didn't own a bike. The test is a joke.

Faith+1 wrote: »
    I can see your point but you do these things for yourself not because the system is easy. I got my licence within 1 month of training and I didn't own a bike. The test is a joke.

no , i done it becasue it was easy :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

I did the old test twice ... the first time, I took a wrong turn and lost the instructor !!!!! Second time round I checked the route I was going to drive. There's NO WAY I'm forgetting to renew my A licence !!!

• Advertisement

professore wrote: »
    I did the old test twice ... the first time, I took a wrong turn and lost the instructor !!!!! Second time round I checked the route I was going to drive. There's NO WAY I'm forgetting to renew my A licence !!!

i did the test , but we had 2 way radio between me and the tester , but the equip was useless , i could hear nothing the lad was saying , and funny , when the test was over , the FIRST thing he said to me after the test , even before i had said one word was " there is nothing wrong with the radio " :-(

i am BULLING i let it lapse , i heard nothing about the changes , was it advertised nationally ? i am surrounded by bikers and none have heard of this , and the ones that are now caught out are bulling !!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

I'm in a similar situation, but with only a year or two of bike driving around 99/00, provisional license lapsed over 5 years, as I got a cage.

Got back into it this year, had to do the IBT, its not bad to be honest and helped me get back into the swing of things, but it is fairly expensive as you have to do roughly 18 hours to cover the 3 required modules.

You do have to carry around your new Learner Permit and the cert you get when you complete your IBT cos you can be asked for this if you are ever stopped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

i heard nothing about the changes , was it advertised nationally ? i am surrounded by bikers and none have heard of this , and the ones that are now caught out are bulling !!!!!

Don't know what to make of that statement to be honest. Anyone who was in any way connected with biking whether through a club, as a forum member, or just talking to their local dealer would have been aware of the changes.

I understand the way things were back in the day when you just renewed your provisional every year, but it was just that, a provisional. The main reason people didn't bother with the test was that it made no difference to the insurance premiums thanks to Norwich Union.

The good news is that you can fast track to a full A license if you start from scratch. Just get the permit, do the IBT, pass the test and job done. Wouldn't go harping on about the old paper provisional either, just do it straight and get it behind you. :)

[QUOTE=carsQhere;91102716]Don't know what to make of that statement to be honest. Anyone who was in any way connected with biking whether through a club, as a forum member, or just talking to their local dealer would have been aware of the changes.

I understand the way things were back in the day when you just renewed your provisional every year, but it was just that, a provisional. The main reason people didn't bother with the test was that it made no difference to the insurance premiums thanks to Norwich Union.

The good news is that you can fast track to a full A license if you start from scratch. Just get the permit, do the IBT, pass the test and job done. Wouldn't go harping on about the old paper provisional either, just do it straight and get it behind you. :)[/QUOTE]

TBH , i know loads of people who have been caught out , who never knew the change was coming , lets be honest , why would i have let it lapse if i knew what hoops i was going to have to jump through later on.

a letter from the licence authority would have sorted this out in no time, and with all the extra revenue they are getting , i can see why the did not make it universally know.

not all bikers keep their pulse on licencing regulations ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

no , i done it becasue it was easy :p

Yep and look how easy you left it for yourself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

I'm confused when you say let it lapse, wouldn't a provisional license only last a max of two years?
    If you had renewed it you could do your test without having to do the IBT but you would then have to ride restricted bikes for the next two years?
    or am I missing something?

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Yep and look how easy you left it for yourself!

easy for 20 years against one difficulty ?? i'll take the proceeding 20 years thanks

anyway , i get the impression most are looking at this with "modern" mindset , i got my first licence in 1989 , it took five minutes to obtain , where a driving test COULD take 16/18 months back then

so 5 minutes VS 18 months ? funk that , i want to be on the road , NOW :-)

I'm confused when you say let it lapse, wouldn't a provisional license only last a max of two years?
    If you had renewed it you could do your test without having to do the IBT but you would then have to ride restricted bikes for the next two years?
    or am I missing something?

i let my LAST licence lapse , and back in the good old days , they did not even have the requirement to even apply for a test , let alone sit one , but in later years you had to sit a test , which i applied for , 14 months later , on the day of my test , my insurance company refused to swap a policy to my more "road worthy bike" , but had said they would do so on 2 diff occasions

so the morning of my test , ring company to switch , they refused , i missed my test , after waiting over a year for it , in the end i got a letter of apology and a full refund and compo from the company , becasue as it turned out , they did promise me i could switch , thank god for recording of conversations :-)

hope that clears that up for ya MRS MARPLE !!!!

i let my LAST licence lapse...

In my case, I just rode away on provisional "A"s for years, and didn't bother my bollix! :pac:

• Advertisement

jimgoose wrote: »
    In my case, I just rode away on provisional "A"s for years, and didn't bother my bollix! :pac:

i was the same , logic says i should have sorted the full A , but they made it SO EASY to keep driving on the Provisional A !!!!

pure laziness on my end , but at the end of the day , my licence was as good as some person with a full one , no restrictions at al

why bother really !!!

until the ****ers change the law behind your back !!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement