Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old A provisional licence

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

dj jarvis wrote: »
    i was the same , logic says i should have sorted the full A , but they made it SO EASY to keep driving on the Provisional A !!!!

pure laziness on my end , but at the end of the day , my licence was as good as some person with a full one , no restrictions at al

why bother really !!!

until the ****ers change the law behind your back !!!!

Aye. Didn't make much difference back then either, as John Law didn't have helicopters. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

TBH , i know loads of people who have been caught out , who never knew the change was coming , lets be honest , why would i have let it lapse if i knew what hoops i was going to have to jump through later on.

a letter from the licence authority would have sorted this out in no time, and with all the extra revenue they are getting , i can see why the did not make it universally know.

not all bikers keep their pulse on licencing regulations ;)

I haven't driven a bike since, my road bike was stolen in 2006 or 2007. I hardly talk to they guys I used to ride with anymore, and I was plenty aware of all these changes. As for being a courier, don't make me laugh motorcycle courier are the most manical bikers I have ever met.

If you want to ride a bike suck it up. It should never have been as easy to ride as it had been in the past without any restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

I haven't driven a bike since, my road bike was stolen in 2006 or 2007. I hardly talk to they guys I used to ride with anymore, and I was plenty aware of all these changes. As for being a courier, don't make me laugh motorcycle courier are the most manical bikers I have ever met.

If you want to ride a bike suck it up. It should never have been as easy to ride as it had been in the past without any restrictions.

is that right - well 15 years , no attachments on my licence , no broken bones , no convictions , apx 200 MILES a day x 300 x 15 = 900000 ( this figure does not include my leisure driving which would be substantial

so , maniac drivers or just highly skilled drivers

as for sucking it up - GFU - i have no need to suck anything up , least at all from you my dear boy :rolleyes:
    never been easier ??? are you on drugs lad ?

now its , theory test , IBT training , restrictions , then the driving test , along with the stupid yellow jacket
    before it was 15 pound and a photo - THAT WAS IT , they gave the licence over the counter - at that moment - no waiting

how is it easier now ??? you have not a clue what you are talking about :confused:

Plenty restrictions in the old days, chief. No "A" provisionals until you were either over 25, or held a full A1 for two years. I had a full A1 in the early '90s, come to think of it - I'd nearly forgotten about it, and in fact I think I still have it! :pac:

jimgoose wrote: »
    Plenty restrictions in the old days, chief. No "A" provisionals until you were either over 25, or held a full A1 for two years. I had a full A1 in the early '90s, come to think of it - I'd nearly forgotten about it, and in fact I think I still have it! :pac:

there were no restrictions when i got my first licence , so when the restrictions did come in , they did not apply to me at that stage , or ever after

i know some younger people might find it hard to believe , but in 10 minutes , armed with 15 pound and a photo , you could obtain a licence , and basically drive what you wanted , no waiting , no restrictions

i had a GPZ 750 on a A provisional when i was 18 , no training , no test , off i went

it was that simple

** in fact , i think i might have gotten one of the last licence that was grey and came if the form of a wallet , im sure its around the house somewhere **

• Advertisement

there were no restrictions when i got my first licence , so when the restrictions did come in , they did not apply to me at that stage , or ever after

i know some younger people might find it hard to believe , but in 10 minutes , armed with 15 pound and a photo , you could obtain a licence , and basically drive what you wanted , no waiting , no restrictions

i had a GPZ 750 on a A provisional when i was 18 , no training , no test , off i went

it was that simple

Mmm. I'm 42, and couldn't do that in 1990. I had to do the A1 rigmarole first. Maybe I was a bigger eejit for caring about licenses! :pac:

jimgoose wrote: »
    Mmm. I'm 42, and couldn't do that in 1990. I had to do the A1 rigmarole first. Maybe I was a bigger eejit for caring about licenses! :pac:

na , when they changed it , the A1 cat did not come in until the early 90's ( afaik ) , all i know is , when i got mine , it was just a provisional licence , and i could drive what i want , and becasue i held that category of licence , i never had to deal with restrictions as they have now.

i think the original A1 was restricted on engine size (125) but then they changed it to power output , but the A provisional had no restrictions on it , other than having to apply for a test every 3 years ( again cloudy memory on this ) , the first and 3rd time you got a provisional you did not need to apply for a test , but for your second one you did , why the second one i have no idea
    maybe someone knows why that was?

...i think the original A1 was restricted on engine size (125) but then they changed it to power output...

Originally 125cc restriction yeah, and then they added an 11kW power restriction as well.

i'll up date the no restriction statement on the 15 pound licences,

the only restriction was that a licence holder could NOT carry a passenger
    thats it !!!

i have my old one in front of me now :-)

the inside of the first provisional i ever had

licence.jpg

other than the passenger , no restrictions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

If you had tried to renew 5 years ago you would have been told to **** or get off the pot.

The IBT isn't that bad, it will give you a chance to get back up to speed quickly.

is that right - well 15 years , no attachments on my licence , no broken bones , no convictions , apx 200 MILES a day x 300 x 15 = 900000 ( this figure does not include my leisure driving which would be substantial

so , maniac drivers or just highly skilled drivers

as for sucking it up - GFU - i have no need to suck anything up , least at all from you my dear boy :rolleyes:
    never been easier ??? are you on drugs lad ?

now its , theory test , IBT training , restrictions , then the driving test , along with the stupid yellow jacket
    before it was 15 pound and a photo - THAT WAS IT , they gave the licence over the counter - at that moment - no waiting

how is it easier now ??? you have not a clue what you are talking about :confused:

You have really missed the boat with your moronic rant. Never said it is easier now, rather that it never should have been so easy, as it was in the PAST. read what I wrote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

This whole argument is pointless. You either want to ride a bike again or not. And if you do, you gotta do this. It's called tough sh1t :) Younger lads have it far worse than you in this regard. And likely won't complain half as much :pac:

This whole argument is pointless. You either want to ride a bike again or not. And if you do, you gotta do this. It's called tough sh1t :) Younger lads have it far worse than you in this regard. And likely won't complain half as much :pac:

whos complaining numb nuts? learn how to read ;)

come back to me when your 25 years of riding experience is written off , without notification or justification.

well able for any test that is thrown at me - just not into loosing the previous 25 years.

ITS NOT AN ARGUMENT - ITS A DISCUSSION
    learn the ability to be able to tell the difference :rolleyes:

You have really missed the boat with your moronic rant. Never said it is easier now, rather that it never should have been so easy, as it was in the PAST. read what I wrote.

yea , judging from you previous post on Boards , i'd say you're a expert in all things moronic.
    and tell me this , who are you to judge what was relevant 25 years ago , still in your da's ball sack , let alone driving bikes , even a moron knows you cant compare the laws and standards from then, with today's laws and standards

cuz that wuld bee STUPID ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

whos complaining numb nuts? learn how to read ;)

come back to me when your 25 years of riding experience is written off , without notification or justification.

well able for any test that is thrown at me - just not into loosing the previous 25 years.

ITS NOT AN ARGUMENT - ITS A DISCUSSION
    learn the ability to be able to tell the difference :rolleyes:

You're arguing like a petulant child. And YOU let your licence lapse. It's been the case for a long time that if you let it go more than 5 years you gotta restart. The Motor Tax offices have had signs for years that sh1t was gonna change.

TBH though, I find it hilarious, you think the NDLS or the RSA should have written to every licence holder in the country to warn them of impending changes, rather than doing what they did and taking out full page news paper ads and adds on radio stations.

You're arguing like a petulant child. And YOU let your licence lapse. It's been the case for a long time that if you let it go more than 5 years you gotta restart. The Motor Tax offices have had signs for years that sh1t was gonna change.

TBH though, I find it hilarious, you think the NDLS or the RSA should have written to every licence holder in the country to warn them of impending changes, rather than doing what they did and taking out full page news paper ads and adds on radio stations.

na bud - as i said it was not an argument - it was a discussion , till some came in like grumpy little toddlers , stamping their feet and proclaiming that they know all and what is best "WE DID NOT MISS IT" well focking done - have a lollipop ;)

as for the changes and writing ???
    are you on drugs ? really have to ask , with a **** stupid statement like that

you have NEVER gotten a letter from ANY government dept to inform you of changes to the service ? never ? cop on
    the do it all the time - just not for this change.

and you would swear i was the only one that got caught out , i know plenty , as have others ON THIS THREAD also mention that they heard nothing and ended up having to do the same as have to now

so don't care what you find hilarious numb nuts - its standard for goverment dept's to inform its users of changes to policy - it's also called good service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

In fairness, back to biking 40+ year olds are the highest risk group. Its not actually a bad idea.
    True - but i have 15 years as a courier working in Dublin , along with my club driving , not being big headed , but the instructors and testers would not have as much road time and experience as me combined , no points , never broke a finger nail , IM THAT GOOD :cool:

So in summary:

You haven't ridden a bike in over 5 years, or if you had a full license, it's been over ten years.

Either way if you were committed to it, you'd have at the very least taken the test / renewed the license, whichever is applicable. Asking you to verify your ability through a few lessons isn't unreasonable.
    so don't care what you find hilarious numb nuts - its standard for goverment dept's to inform its users of changes to policy - it's also called good service

Except it's not a change in policy, it's a change in the law. And ignorance of the law is not an excuse. And frankly, you're behaving like a spoilt brat and should have to take the bloody bus.

sdeire wrote: »
    So in summary:

You haven't ridden a bike in over 5 years, or if you had a full license, it's been over ten years.

Either way if you were committed to it, you'd have at the very least taken the test / renewed the license, whichever is applicable. Asking you to verify your ability through a few lessons isn't unreasonable.

Except it's not a change in policy, it's a change in the law. And ignorance of the law is not an excuse. And frankly, you're behaving like a spoilt brat and should have to take the bloody bus.

yes yes , you are right , please talk down to me, please :rolleyes:

the change in law was not made widely enough known , evidently by the amount of people who got caught out FFS !!!

how , if the only advertised it in licence office , and i have not been in to a licence office in 5 years and 2 months would i have know ?
    a once off ad in the paper ? and what if you missed that ? tough **** on ya ?

a simple letter would have save loads of people the hassle and indignity of loosing their driving experience ( the NSA , STILL HAVE record of it , just dont want to use it )
    when you change a law , you inform ALL not some, the did not inform all , clearly not from the amount of people who got caught out , same as me

some posters on this thread come across as the same numptys who, when talking about buying a house during the boom , always chime up with " well , we could see it coming , why didn't you " GOB****ES !!!

Hindsight - the foresight of gob****es

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

a simple letter would have save loads of people the hassle and indignity of loosing their driving experience ( the NSA , STILL HAVE record of it , just dont want to use it )
    when you change a law , you inform ALL not some, the did not inform all , clearly not from the amount of people who got caught out , same as me

I'll grant you that. It would be a good idea to notify people of a change in the law, especially if they're on a database. But sending a "simple letter" to every licensed driver would cost the guts of €2 million - how many have held a license in the last ten years? Even if it's only 100,000 falling into this category that's €60,000 in postage that NDLS would have to find.

I don't begrudge you being pissed off about it, I begrudge you acting like a child who's been told he can't have an Ice Cream.

You can make your argument in a manner that doesn't involve calling half the country a gob****e and using expletives and capitals and so on. You come across as a bit mad.

In the scheme of things it's a few lessons, maybe submit some feedback to the NDLS in a constructive way and see what happens?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

The changes came into effect 4 years ago and were agreed by the government in 2006.
    January 2013 the restriction was removed for the A so
    Theory
    Get learner permit
    Do ibt
    Ride unrestricted
    Do test after 6 months from date of permit.
    finished.
    I don't know why everyone is getting so involved in a pointless rant. The unrestricted provisional disappeared 15 years ago and only about 80 remain with people who never let them lapse.
    They are the only people who are exempt from ibt now.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

quit the personal abuse or this thread gets locked - you know the rules

sdeire wrote: »
    I'll grant you that. It would be a good idea to notify people of a change in the law, especially if they're on a database. But sending a "simple letter" to every licensed driver would cost the guts of €2 million - how many have held a license in the last ten years? Even if it's only 100,000 falling into this category that's €60,000 in postage that NDLS would have to find.

I don't begrudge you being pissed off about it, I begrudge you acting like a child who's been told he can't have an Ice Cream.

You can make your argument in a manner that doesn't involve calling half the country a gob****e and using expletives and capitals and so on. You come across as a bit mad.

In the scheme of things it's a few lessons, maybe submit some feedback to the NDLS in a constructive way and see what happens?

go to post 33 - i was being the perfect poster , i had no reason to bitch at any one , others rounded on me , and i wont take sh1t off anyone

read from the start - if people cant handle getting **** , they should not throw it. end of

a child that cant have his ice cream ? no , a seasoned driver who now has to shell out 500 euro for not being notified on changes to the law , one of many people, i have a perfect right to highlight it with out being told by a scrote to " suck it up " for no reason at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭dunner515

Do theory test
    Apply for learner permit
    Do IBT
    Apply for test after 6 months from date of learner permit

Use the RSA website to keep up to date on changes and so forth. RSA.ie

I find that if you don't keep up to date with these things you just get left behind
    Hope this helps:)

go to post 33 - i was being the perfect poster , i had no reason to bitch at any one , others rounded on me , and i wont take sh1t off anyone

read from the start - if people cant handle getting **** , they should not throw it. end of

a child that cant have his ice cream ? no , a seasoned driver who now has to shell out 500 euro for not being notified on changes to the law , one of many people, i have a perfect right to highlight it with out being told by a scrote to " suck it up " for no reason at all.

Love how you linked to my post where all i told you was to face the facts. The irony of you calling others children when you are the only one displaying a lack of maturity.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement