Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wedding Dresses online

• 01-07-2014 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi just wondering has anyone ever purchased from JJshouse.com?? Unbelievable prices, but are they to good to be true??

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

They're knock-offs. So they're based on designer dresses, but they'll be made from much cheaper material, they'll have less boning, the fit won't be as good and there's likely to be loose threads and things. But if you were on a tight budget, you could chance it and you'd probably get a dress that looks pretty good to the untrained eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I was going to, but I didn't in the end. I just couldn't bear the thought of getting my dress and it not being perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Tibbery

has anyone heard ofbrideshappy.co ? same sort of thing is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭coats

I'm getting mine from jjhouse. Ordering it in a couple of weeks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Faith wrote: »
    They're knock-offs. So they're based on designer dresses, but they'll be made from much cheaper material, they'll have less boning, the fit won't be as good and there's likely to be loose threads and things. But if you were on a tight budget, you could chance it and you'd probably get a dress that looks pretty good to the untrained eye.

not always though, i bought a "knock off" dress from china, my grandmother is a dressmaker and was shocked when she saw it, it fit like a glove (but they asked for the strangest of measurements and lots of them) it was real good quality lace, real good quality silk, and not a stitch out of place, she did have to press it to get the wrinkles out though as it was tightly packed up, so if you or someone you know isn't good at that sort of thing i wouldn't recommend it.

i also bought mine the year before so i had time (and the budget) to back it up if it didn't work out, and since it did work out for me i got my gorgeous perfect wedding dress for €100. (also makes it handy for when you are never going to wear it again like me) i even used the spare budget to buy a second slightly more expensive but lighter and more comfortable evening dress from monsoon.

so when it comes to online buying i say,

be prepared for it not working out,
    give it plenty of time in case it doesn't work out
    budget for it not working out,
    and if it does work out enjoy the quality bargain :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭tbeans

hoodwinked wrote: »
    not always though, i bought a "knock off" dress from china, my grandmother is a dressmaker and was shocked when she saw it, it fit like a glove (but they asked for the strangest of measurements and lots of them) it was real good quality lace, real good quality silk, and not a stitch out of place, she did have to press it to get the wrinkles out though as it was tightly packed up, so if you or someone you know isn't good at that sort of thing i wouldn't recommend it.

i also bought mine the year before so i had time (and the budget) to back it up if it didn't work out, and since it did work out for me i got my gorgeous perfect wedding dress for €100. (also makes it handy for when you are never going to wear it again like me) i even used the spare budget to buy a second slightly more expensive but lighter and more comfortable evening dress from monsoon.

so when it comes to online buying i say,

be prepared for it not working out,
    give it plenty of time in case it doesn't work out
    budget for it not working out,
    and if it does work out enjoy the quality bargain :D

Interesting! Do you mind if I asked where you got it from (Don't mind a PM if you don't want to say it online) as there are so so many different shops etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

tbeans wrote: »
    Interesting! Do you mind if I asked where you got it from (Don't mind a PM if you don't want to say it online) as there are so so many different shops etc

its long gone now, that was in 2010.... but they probably set up under a new name/on a different website, my point is its random luck if it works or not, so don't be afraid to try just because you think you will get a lesser quality dress because sometimes you get a perfect one, so if you have the time and the money and won't be too upset if it doesn't work out i would say go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Jenniflower87

I bought mine from china on ebay. The dress is chiffon, I said that I had to buy it to see and if it didn't work out I wouldn't be too much out of pocket. Dress isn't 100% the same but definitely 95%! Very impressed seeing as I only paid €38 for the actual dress and €80 in postage lol! Very happy with it, just a couple of changes like adding a small bit of detail to shoulder and taken up but that's it!

Would recommend to anyone! You can sell it on if not happy :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I got a little Tea length white dress from China, I have my actual Wedding dress ordered from a shop here but I wanted something to change into late in the evening..

The only complaint I have is that the sizing is a bit off.. I ordered a 10 but what I got feels more like a 12-14.

The dress itself looks absolutely no different to the picture on the website and the quality of the fabric and detail is beautiful.. There's actually more beading and detail on it than I expected.

I'd have no problem recommending the site but order to your exact measurements.

Advertisement