Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Found a duckling

• 01-07-2014 10:05pm

Hi folks,

My nephew found a duckling earlier. He found her mother dead by the side of the road and only came across one duckling despite searching for others. Another person said that somebody had taken the rest of the ducklings.

He's very small, his body is probably no bigger than a hen's egg, say. What can be done? Is he a lost cause? Any tips greatly welcome...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Owl tattoo

If you can get your hands on some chicken (not hen) food...that's what we fed our chicks with, along with some hard boiled mashed egg! The mother hen showed them how to peck at the food but he probably knows that already. I'd say keeping the duckling warm will be hardest part, depending on how old he is. Maybe a warm (not too warm) hot water bottle might work if you wrap it in cloth first. Hopefully someone might post with info from wildlife rescue..but in the meantime hope the little guy survives after all he's been through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I can only offer this link. I don't know anything about ducklings. Irishwildlifematters.ie or PM me for a lady I know who's recently rescued some and will gladly offer help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Try posting in the wildlife forum, but otherwise water, some food (mashed egg sounds good) and keep it warm.
    Where are you based? There maybe someone near by that can help.

Thanks for all of the replies, folks.
    Owl tattoo wrote: »
    If you can get your hands on some chicken (not hen) food...that's what we fed our chicks with, along with some hard boiled mashed egg! The mother hen showed them how to peck at the food but he probably knows that already. I'd say keeping the duckling warm will be hardest part, depending on how old he is. Maybe a warm (not too warm) hot water bottle might work if you wrap it in cloth first. Hopefully someone might post with info from wildlife rescue..but in the meantime hope the little guy survives after all he's been through.

I just put a water bottle in with him about half an hour ago and he seems to be a little happier, but he's still chirping away. The only time he becomes quiet is in my hands when he seems to fall asleep.
    anniehoo wrote: »
    I can only offer this link. I don't know anything about ducklings. Irishwildlifematters.ie or PM me for a lady I know who's recently rescued some and will gladly offer help.

I'll send you a PM now. Thanks for the offer. If we had more than one of them here he'd probably have a better shot, but being on his own here the odds seem fairly stacked.
    mymo wrote: »
    Try posting in the wildlife forum, but otherwise water, some food (mashed egg sounds good) and keep it warm.
    Where are you based? There maybe someone near by that can help.

Eggs are boiling as we speak! I'm in east Galway but would travel if it meant getting him to someone who could help.

Thanks again for the replies, folks. They're greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

If you know somebody who has hens and if any of the hens have eggs/chicks, they will take the duckling in.

• Advertisement

If you know somebody who has hens and if any of the hens have eggs/chicks, they will take the duckling in.

My brother has hens and we were wondering just that. They hens hatched eggs a good few weeks ago and the chicks are considerably bigger than this little duckling—easily several times the size. Would it still be worth trying?

gvn wrote: »
    My brother has hens and we were wondering just that. They hens hatched eggs a good few weeks ago and the chicks are considerably bigger than this little duckling—easily several times the size. Would it still be worth trying?
    Chance it. The duckling at this age will not be able to regulate it's temperature so bring it to the hen ASAP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Hen won't take to the little fella at this late stage. A 40w bulb hanging at one end of a cardboard box is a good heat source. If he moves to the bulb he is cold and if he's far away he's warm. Careful with water 'cause he'll jump in and then get too cold. Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

OP is hopefully chatting to the lady I know now, she's still up as well...thank god for us night owls eh? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Diet: You can get chick crumb suitable for ducklings etc in small bags in feed stores - best diet for first two weeks then move to mixed diet - in an emergency rice cripsies or brown bread crumbed and made into mash with water will suffice & put duck in playpen/ small fenced area outside to pick at grass etc.

Water: you will need a small water dispenser for chicks otherwise duckling will sit in water. Good idea not to let duckling into water until a few weeks old and has feathers

Heat: use a heat lamp - get from pet food shop or agri-coop. To keep him warm - these are easy to set up above container to keep duckling warm

Hot water bottle and cuddly toy also if duckling by itself ( a small ticking clock may also help)

I would use something like a large plastic trug bucket with plenty of newspaper in the bottom as ducklings can be messy little things - as it gets bigger a dog crate that you can bring outside and protects the duckling from predators would suit.

Ducklings are fairly hardy after a few days so as long as it gets food and water it should be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 ThePhatMomma

I was talking to the OP, duckling is only few days old. Poor mite.
    Hopefully it will survive the next day .
    I gave him advice over the phone which is mirrored in many of these posts.

💕

Hi folks,

Thank you to everyone who replied to me. You've no idea how much all of the advice is appreciated! I'm happy to report that the duckling is happily eating this morning (mashed hard-boiled egg with some lettuce) and is spending most of his time sleeping on a hot water bottle. I'll have hopefully found a more permanent home for him over the next few days, and when I do I'll update this thread. Thanks again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭fathead82

I rescued 7 ducklings a few years ago after they fell down a cattle grid & their mother left. released them when they were old enough in a preserved area. If you want,i could take it,have all the equipment,heat lamp & chick crumbs here & a week old gosling to keep it company.
    I also have a broody hen sitting on dummy eggs that i could try foster it onto,she would easily take to it since she has no chicks of her own yet.
    Pm me if you like,im in Tipperary near the Galway border.

fathead82 wrote: »
    I rescued 7 ducklings a few years ago after they fell down a cattle grid & their mother left. released them when they were old enough in a preserved area. If you want,i could take it,have all the equipment,heat lamp & chick crumbs here & a week old gosling to keep it company.
    I also have a broody hen sitting on dummy eggs that i could try foster it onto,she would easily take to it since she has no chicks of her own yet.
    Pm me if you like,im in Tipperary near the Galway border.

I'm delighted to say the duckling has gone to the above good home and will have a good chance at a long life! Thanks again to everyone!

20140702_213438_zps2b5a722d.jpg

The hen took to the duckling straight away, he is now hiding under her,peeping out from behind her wing every now & then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Ah man, this is the most life affirming thread I've ever read :)

Make sure he has a little basin with water so he can swim in.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Ah man, this is the most life affirming thread I've ever read :)

You said it! Serious cuteness overload with this thread :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I think this thread should have a picture update every few days, I know I'd love to see that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

This thread is awesome :D Thank you OP and fathead!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

A duck saved in this thread and a rabbit in another... what are we going to name them? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Brilliant thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

I have all my happy for the day :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Hi folks,

My nephew found a duckling earlier. He found her mother dead by the side of the road and only came across one duckling despite searching for others. Another person said that somebody had taken the rest of the ducklings.

He's very small, his body is probably no bigger than a hen's egg, say. What can be done? Is he a lost cause? Any tips greatly welcome...
    I'm delighted to say the duckling has gone to the above good home and will have a good chance at a long life! Thanks again to everyone!

Every now and again we need a story that begins and ends like this one.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I want a duck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

gimmick wrote: »
    I want a duck.

we had a duck named ducky when we were kids.

My brother found it and brought him home.

When he got bigger we used to stick him in the bath with a sliced pan.

Ducky went missing.... everyone was sad.

we had unusual chicken for dinner that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

gimmick wrote: »
    I want a duck.

This whole thread

:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I *just* saw this thread. Read the op, scrolled down to the pic above.

This is what a hit of cocaine must feel like :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭endacl

FutureGuy wrote: »

This is what a hit of cocaine must feel like :D
    Dunphy was right.

You can't get decent coke in Dublin...

• Advertisement

mymo wrote: »
    I think this thread should have a picture update every few days, I know I'd love to see that!

Ill update with pics in a few days,i dont want to disturb them too much at the minute & allow them to bond. They are getting on great today & the duckling is happy out.

Advertisement