Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Infraction

Options
  • 01-07-2014 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭

Talked to the mod and he said no however I seriously can't understand this one, actually all my cards on the games form but I'm dealing with this one.

There was the usual debate going on mod stated that I
    You ignored a mod instruction and continued directing personal, inflammatory comments at another user

My post in question stated
    RasTa wrote: »
    Your faux outrage at all things Sony. It's quiet boring.

Now I fail to see anywhere else on boards where this post would warrant a card.

Considering boards is a discussion form I fail to see how the above is inflammatory and personal abuse towards a user.

The same mod thinks that the below post is fine for example

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91074566&postcount=5166

Please explain

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Hi RasTa,
    My name is Tony and I'm one of the category moderators for the games category. Thank you for following the correct dispute resolution procedure and I am happy to deal with your dispute.

Looking at the post which was deemed worthy of a yellow card...
    "Your faux outrage at all things Sony. It's quiet boring."

...you have stated that the the poster is being disingenuous. You essentially attacked the poster, and not the post. As someone that has been a member of boards.ie for almost 15 years, I would think you would be aware that this type of comment will attract the attention of mods. "Attack the post, not the poster"!

In future, if you feel a poster is trying to get a rise out of others, I suggest you use the report function and let the moderator team handle the situation.

Regarding your reference to an earlier post made by user naughto (which was in direct response to you saying people are trolling), the moderator decided to warn both of you instead of giving both of you yellows...another mod could have easily given yellows in this situation so I'd say he actually looked kindly on you.

I will not comment on how moderators do their jobs in other categories, but I am happy with the way that this particular moderator has handled this games-related incident.

All things considered, I'm upholding the yellow card.

If you are unhappy with his decision, please feel free to contact a member of the administration team, as stated on the dispute resolution procedure.

Best regards,
    Tony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

But I am not attacking the poster I am attacking what he is posting about, ie Sony this and Sony that.

In my mind attacking the poster is getting personal ie you're an idiot etc.

Have you read his posts leading up to the conversation? I am attacking exactly what he is posting and not the poster himself. Every single post resolves around Sony so I don't understand how you can say that i am attacking the poster.

Yes I would like an Admin or yourself to explain how I am attacking the poster

But I am not attacking the poster I am attacking what he is posting about, ie Sony this and Sony that.

In my mind attacking the poster is getting personal ie you're an idiot etc.

Have you read his posts leading up to the conversation? I am attacking exactly what he is posting and not the poster himself. Every single post resolves around Sony so I don't understand how you can say that i am attacking the poster.

Yes I would like an Admin or yourself to explain how I am attacking the poster

You are absolutely correct. Calling someone an idiot is getting personal. No one is doubting this.

Regarding your post, we need to look at the definition of the term in question...

"Faux Outrage"
    Pretending one is offended, insulted or generally affronted by something which they really are not.

...in my opinion, this is stating publicly that the poster is not posting his genuine feelings, and is therefore a public attack on the poster's integrity.

If this is still not deemed to be a valid explanation, please let me know and I will contact a member of the admin team.

Thanks again,
    Tony

So what your saying for future posting is that I can't imply that someone is disingenuous regarding what they are saying?

So what your saying for future posting is that I can't imply that someone is disingenuous regarding what they are saying?

I've already explained my decision regarding this particular incident. Do you wish to have an administrator take a look at this case?

• Advertisement

Yes

Yes

No problem, I'll have a member of the admin team contact you.

Thanks,
    Tony

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

An initial reading of this DR had me wondering about whether the infraction was warranted, but a read of that thread cleared it up.

The mod informed you the card was for:
    Ignored mod warning to behave sensibly
    Having read the thread I was expecting a bit of a trainwreck with jibes flying about - instead there was a relative calm until you dropped in with your accusations of trolling.

What happened then was you got a response your comment deserved, the thread took a turn, and the forum mod let you both away with a verbal warning when it could have been a yellow. You then stirred the pot one more time with your jab at miju - which earned you a card for messing after ignoring a mod warning.

Forget the definitions of "faux outrage" I've no problem with this infraction for a disruptive post after a mod warning.

Upheld.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement