Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Insurance claim - lost ring

Options
  • 01-07-2014 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Would anyone know if All Risks cover would cover loss of an engagement ring - it is named on all risk schedule. The story is that ring was too uncomfortable to wear during pregnancy so took it off and put it in such a safe place that I now cant find it! Would they accept it being misplaced? Am insuranced with Zurich

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

If the ring is specified for All Risks, then it is covered for accidental loss. However, given that there is a reasonable degree of certainty as to its location and the high possibility it will be recovered, Insurers may impose a long time frame before settling. In the event that they do settle, it is likely that they will offer to replace the ring with one of similar design and value, rather than a cash sum.

If that the ring is subsequently recovered, you must hand it over to insurers or, more likely, give them back the ring they provided you with

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Arazi1

Did the insurance cover you for accidental loss in the home?
    I am in a similar position having removed the ring in the home and now it is lost? I have looked everything and turned the house inside out for over a month to no avail?
    Did they pay you out or did they try to give you a voucher type scenario?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

For jewellery, insurers usually try and find as similar a replacement as they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Arazi1

thanks for the reply. The Jewelry shop I purchased the original ring from has sourced the same ring but it is a little more expensive now due to the cost of gold increasing.

However I am still wondering if my insurance policy covers loss in the home?
    Does anyone know the answer to if i specifically list my ring on the cover and lose it in the home if I am covered?

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

What does your insurance policy document say?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

The maximum you can claim for is the sum insured you chose when you insured it. If you insured it for All Risks, then it would cover loss in the home. If you just named it as an item in your general Contents, then no, it won't cover the type of loss you described.

Insurers have the option to pay cash, replace it with similar, or allow you source a replacement. Their usual option is to replace the item themselves

Advertisement