Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to let go

• 02-07-2014 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

This has been the hardest day of my life. My dog/companion/best friend took a turn for the worse over the weekend. She stopped eating and was only drinking minimal amounts of water, and only with a lot of encouragement. She was in a world of her own at the end and really had very little grasp of what was going on around her. It was frightening to see the change in her over a few short days.
    Today I had to make the gut wrenching decision to put her to sleep. She had decided it was time to go and her little body was starting to shut down.
    Unfortunately, the process of putting her to sleep was nowhere near as peaceful as I had imagined/expected. The vet did administer a sedative first which I was very grateful for, however, after the euthanasia drug was administered her entire body seemed to go into some sort of violent muscle spasm. Her eyes looked very startled and she made some groaning noises which sounded as though she was in pain. This seemed to go on for a lifetime and it truly was an absolutely horrific experience. I will never forget it.
    At the moment I feel as though my heart is broken into a thousand little pieces. She has been in my life for just over 16 years and I'm having a really hard time accepting the fact that she is really gone.
    I'm not even sure what advise I am looking for here. I guess in this situation time is what I need to ease this pain in my heart. But I just wondered if anybody else had had a similar, distressing experience while putting their four legged companion to sleep? Many thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hi, I am sorry to hear of your loss and its easy to say do this or that but only you know the answer.

Try and think of the good times and take what happened as a good thing in a way as you done what you possibly could do help and care for your best friend.

I would like to say well done for been strong and helping stop the suffering the poor pet was going through and fully understand how difficult this would have been.

Its a hard thing to have to deal with as they are a special part of our lives and really are your best friend.

Take care op and time will help and maybe think of a new friend at some point down the line.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

So sorry for your loss :(

And your experience sounds awful :( hopefully your pooch was already away with the fairys when she had that reaction.. You did the kindest thing for her..

Sounds like you adored her.. Hugs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

That's an awful thing to happen.

Hope you feel better soon.

:Hugs:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭kinkygirl

OP, I am so sorry for the loss of your darling fur baby, I am crying as I'm typing this. When we lose a little one, it breaks your heart into pieces. :(
    You did the kindest thing for her...and you were with her right to the end, please try to think of that and of the wonderful life she had with you.

I'm not going to tell you that your pain will ease, that happens when it's ready to happen, but do think of the great times you shared and, one day you will find yourself smiling at those memories.
    Best wishes to you and RIP to your baby girl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

God op, I'm so sorry you had to make that decision and then have a traumatic experience. What did the vet say? Maybe it was just muscle spasms etc as horrible as they look, the dog would be in no pain nor aware of it.
    Take time to grieve and remember what an amazing life you gave your dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 SoFarSoGood

Thanks so much for all your kind words. They really do make a difference. I really do think it is the final act of kindness/love, to know when enough is enough, that it's time to say goodbye and to not drag out the pain or discomfort unnecessarily.
    I have been assured by a number of people at this stage that what I saw was the body's reaction to the chemicals in the injection, and not in fact the dog actively moving or feeling any pain. This gives me peace of mind and will definitely help in the healing process. Dogs are just so great.
    They really are mans best friend.
    Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Agree with everything said by everyone - OP, take comfort that you gave your little friend a good and long life. Cherish and embrace those memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭FireBreather

Oh my God, im so sorry to hear that and what you went through!

We came to the decision we have to my dog Molly to sleep, same thing, she hasnt being eating, she has seizures at night, and tough she knows who we are, she hasnt got the energy to show excitement, even tough i can see it in her, she's getting frustrated and anxious because she cant

literally a week ago, she's being Hyper like she always is, running up and down the stairs, jumping over everyone, getting really happy and hyper, and then this week just from no where, she didn't she just stopped eating.

OP i could only imagine your pain when your dog reacted like that, and tbh, i am terrified mine would go like that she's always being full of energy and panics when something feels wrong with her, like for example my Molly, when she was younger, she was but under astethics for 2 days so she was suppose be asleep for 2 days, the Vet that morning about 8 hours after telling us she good to go home and hows utterly shocked, and i could hear barking in the background

in anyway Friday is where ill say goodbye ill be there by her side like you where OP, sorry for your loss again

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭NinjaDucks

I'm so sorry OP. My dog that I've been lucky to have for seventeen years was put down two weeks ago without my knowledge/consent so I know the absolute heartbreak it brings. I wish I could say lovely words to help ease the pain, but after reading the others' replies, they've said some nice things, and I guess just hold on to the fact that your dog led a beautiful life, and was loved immensely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

OP, Ive been there, and Im watching my 16 yr old whose had a bad diagnosis, and is on borrowed time.

Your dog was a huge part of your life. You loved your dog, she loved you.
    You are grieving for your beloved pet. It WILL get easier. You will always remember her with love and fond memories.

The only disadvantage to being a dog lover and dog owner is having to say goodbye

very best wishes, and try to forget the horrible experience at the vet - remember it WAS muscle spasms, your dog did not experience any pain/fear. You did what you HAD to do - far better than letting her linger/deteriorate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭bluejelly

OP, I understand your heartbreak, my dog passed away 2 weeks ago and I am devastated.........I just can't believe she is gone....... Sometimes she would look at me as though she could see into my soul.You made a very tough decision but it was the right one for your pet and hopefully that will give you some comfort knowing she is free of pain and gave her a great life. Take care.

Nina ducks, I can't imagine what you must be going through.......your dog put down without your consent......absolutely shocking!!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

I had to have a cat put to sleep, and he spent the the last 10 minutes of his life vomiting and in distress. It was and still is very upsetting, so I feel for you OP. Try not to dwell on it, you did the best you could for your pet. Remember her life, not just her death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

This has been the hardest day of my life. My dog/companion/best friend took a turn for the worse over the weekend. She stopped eating and was only drinking minimal amounts of water, and only with a lot of encouragement. She was in a world of her own at the end and really had very little grasp of what was going on around her. It was frightening to see the change in her over a few short days.
    Today I had to make the gut wrenching decision to put her to sleep. She had decided it was time to go and her little body was starting to shut down.
    Unfortunately, the process of putting her to sleep was nowhere near as peaceful as I had imagined/expected. The vet did administer a sedative first which I was very grateful for, however, after the euthanasia drug was administered her entire body seemed to go into some sort of violent muscle spasm. Her eyes looked very startled and she made some groaning noises which sounded as though she was in pain. This seemed to go on for a lifetime and it truly was an absolutely horrific experience. I will never forget it.
    At the moment I feel as though my heart is broken into a thousand little pieces. She has been in my life for just over 16 years and I'm having a really hard time accepting the fact that she is really gone.
    I'm not even sure what advise I am looking for here. I guess in this situation time is what I need to ease this pain in my heart. But I just wondered if anybody else had had a similar, distressing experience while putting their four legged companion to sleep? Many thanks in advance

OP, so so sorry for your loss. It's an absolutely heartbreaking time for you x

I didn't experience what you did when I had my dog put to sleep but it did take a bit of time for the drug to work it's way around his whole body as he was a big dog. I did find this quite upsetting as I expected the whole experience to be very quick.
    What you experienced must have been so upsetting for you. Do bear in mind that even though it probably seemed like it went on forever, it may have actually been over quite quickly and it may have just been the intensity of everything that prolonged it in your mind and within moments your buddy was at peace.
    It's an awful decision to have to make but take comfort in the long life you gave your dog and she would thank you for taking away the pain and discomfort she was in.

My dog was also in a state of confusion in the days leading up to when I had him put to sleep, not focusing on anything, staring at nothing, just very spaced. I felt like it was his life leaving him.

You will probably be questioning yourself and second guessing yourself over the next while, I think anyone who has had a pet put to sleep does that, and I found reading other people's stories in the departed pets thread really helped me stop second guessing the decision I had to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭Abrean

OP I'm so sorry for your loss, I've been there recently myself, had to have my beloved Max put to sleep last January and I found it a bit traumatic myself as it didn't really go the way I would have liked. Not as bad as what you experienced mind you though I'm sure your lovely dog wasn't aware of what was happening by that stage so try not to worry about that too much.

My boy was in relatively good form but had a massive tumour that could have burst at any moment, it was such a hard decision as he still seemed so full of life and so happy, but the thought of him dying probably alone and in agony if it burst just wasn't worth it and so we decided it was time. It was the best for him and you just have to keep telling yourself that.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

Op, I was through this a few weeks ago with our 15 year old collie.
    He had been on a cocktail of drugs for about 8 months & became incontinent with dementia in the end.
    Physically though he seemed fine but I just couldn't put up with scrubbing carpets & floors 5 times a day.
    I felt selfish having to do it but he was an indoor dog, he'd bark continually if put outside.

Anyway, the vet warned me before he administered the blue anesthetic that there could be spasms, groans but I was just to ignore these.
    I'm surprised your vet hadn't prepared you for the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

I'm sorry for your loss, we had to put down our little man over Christmas, we had him for 16 years too and he was very sick over Christmas, wasn't eating or drinking and then stopped/wasn't able to walk. It was devastating, our whole family was upset over it. I still tear up when I think about him.

They really become part of your family and I found it hard when people didn't understand why I was so upset:(

Advertisement