Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android developer salaries

Options
  • 02-07-2014 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hello,

So, I've been working in mobile dev for the past two years, on what I considered a fairly decent salary. This role is straight from college so that's all my experience from college with the exception of a 9 month work placement.

I remember looking at job sites before Christmas and there not being a huge amount of mobile dev roles with comparable salaries.

I've started looking now and I'm stunned by what has changed! There seem to be no end to the roles and the salaries are quite high.

Now, I had been reading in the media about skills shortage etc and difficulty in finding talent.

A lot of the adverts are via agencies, are they all really legit.

I'm beginning to notice a trend also where, event though the salaries are high there isn't really much on years experience. Is this due to a realisation that a younger breed of developers are emerging that have embraced new techniques/technologies and can write good code?

What do others think?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

updown123 wrote: »
    I'm beginning to notice a trend also where, event though the salaries are high there isn't really much on years experience. Is this due to a realisation that a younger breed of developers are emerging that have embraced new techniques/technologies and can write good code?
    No, it's probably down to a shortage in supply leading employers to lower their expectations.

Not entirely sure what you mean by "a younger breed of developers are emerging that have embraced new techniques/technologies", as no matter how old you get or how long you're in this business you will need to keep on top of new techniques/technologies and adopt them, where appropriate (beware fads). If you don't, you're just not a very good developer, regardless of how much 'experience' you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

updown123 wrote: »

What do others think?

Cheers

Heh, not quite :)

It's because that in relation to other specialities in software development, mobile is still extremely new. Therefore employers are less picky as they understand that someone with ten years of experience in Java can make that switch relatively easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

For a while they were looking for years of experience in a tech longer than the tech had existed. They also wouldn't take people crossing over. Mainly because the recruiters, HR, and agencies didn't understand development.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

beauf wrote: »
    For a while they were looking for years of experience in a tech longer than the tech had existed. They also wouldn't take people crossing over. Mainly because the recruiters, HR, and agencies didn't understand development.

When I left college I experienced that trying to get a mobile development job, my experience from college was in Android and they were looking for 5+ years of Android experience. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

When I left college I experienced that trying to get a mobile development job, my experience from college was in Android and they were looking for 5+ years of Android experience. :rolleyes:
    This has long been the case; I remember seeing a job advert back in 1999 looking for a developer with three years experience in Jini...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 updown123

Not entirely sure what you mean by "a younger breed of developers are emerging that have embraced new techniques/technologies", as no matter how old you get or how long you're in this business you will need to keep on top of new techniques/technologies and adopt them, where appropriate (beware fads)..

I don't really know what I meant with this to be honest. I guess that years experience doesn't really equate to good quality. You always hear about people who have been working as devs for years but are just bad coders.

I think what I am trying to say is that there are a lot of tech savvy, recently graduated (or not!) developers who immerse themselves in this and are worthy of an interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I currently have 5 years swift experience. Quit looking for excuses people :pac:

Advertisement