Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you know how money is created?

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

Stop mixing up the words "Money" and "Currency"

The ten Euro note in your pocket is not "Money", it is a note of "Currency"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Stop mixing up the words "Money" and "Currency"

The ten Euro note in your pocket is not "Money", it is a note of "Currency"

I call it fancy paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭KahBoom

topper75 wrote: »
    It's glib because it glosses over the fact that if we all go down to withdraw at a certain time tomorrow then the whole thing falls apart. If I want my money back from the bank, no use them telling me that they'll get it for me as soon as they sell Tommy Ryan's boat/Mary Murphy's house/Joe O'Sullivans printworks. The precarious ratio of loans/deposits IS a gamble whatever fancy maths you use to try explain it away.
    In a bank run, banks can breach reserve requirements and this can cause a crisis, yes - but bank lending isn't limited by reserve requirements, it is limited by capital requirements.

If there is demand for loans, and all banks are at the limit of their reserve requirements, the central bank will (upon request) do an exchange with banks to increase their reserves.

So what you've described, doesn't actually conflict with anything I've said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

Naz_st wrote: »

Also, the counterpoint to the "banks create money by lending" that is often overlooked, is that money is "destroyed" when you pay it back.

Only if the money completes a single cycle, which doesn't happen, twice lent money creates debt that cannot be destroyed without more currency creation.

http://paulgrignon.netfirms.com/MoneyasDebt/twicelentanimated.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

How so?

I think the general point here is that banks don't "create money out of thin air" in the sense that the loans they create (which do "create money" or rather liquidity), are generally backed by something of notionally equal or similar value. For example, if you go to the bank and look for 500k mortgage on a house worth 500k, the "value" was already in the system, the "money" the bank created is releasing the value implicit in the asset. So one important function of a bank is to add liquidity to the system. Of course there is a problem in this model when banks overvalue underlying assets, as we know. But that is an implicitly different problem to flat out saying that the banking system is wrong because it "creates money out of thin air".

Also, the counterpoint to the "banks create money by lending" that is often overlooked, is that money is "destroyed" when you pay it back.

Here is an article from a respected author, in a reputable newspaper, which explains things gently...

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/mar/18/truth-money-iou-bank-of-england-austerity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

The Dagda wrote: »
    Here is an article from a respected author, in a reputable newspaper, which explains things gently...

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/mar/18/truth-money-iou-bank-of-england-austerity

But again it is incorrect to say that banks create money. If they really created it then it would be irrelevant whether it was ever paid back. Also as pointed out above repaying a bank loan "destroys" money in exactly the same way as a bank "created" it when it was lent originally.

Banks lend you other peoples money, simples.

pH wrote: »
    But again it is incorrect to say that banks create money. If they really created it then it would be irrelevant whether it was ever paid back. Also as pointed out above repaying a bank loan "destroys" money in exactly the same way as a bank "created" it when it was lent originally.

So basically you're sticking your fingers in your ears and saying "I can't hear you"!

Are you trying to be funny?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

The Dagda wrote: »
    So basically you're sticking your fingers in your ears and saying "I can't hear you"!

Not sure what point you're making - there are many stupid people who think they've heard something clever about how banks "create" money - and like to parrot it on the net - they're wrong, you're wrong - I can hear what's being said just fine, it's just fashionable nonsense spouted by people who think it makes them look clever and informed about the banks and economics.

Not sure what point you're making - there are many stupid people who think they've heard something clever about how banks "create" money - and like to parrot it on the net - they're wrong, you're wrong - I can hear what's being said just fine, it's just fashionable nonsense spouted by people who think it makes them look clever and informed about the banks and economics.

Yeah I'll believe the professor from the london school of economics rather the shouty rant from a blinkered ignoramus. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Yeah I hate when people say things online to make themselves seem clever and informed. Good thing you dodged that bullet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Yogosan

faceman wrote: »
    I call it fancy paper.
    If that caught on there would be a financial meltdown overnight!

-How will you be paying for this Ferarri sir?
    -Why with 200,00 in fancy paper of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭LeonardNelson

Money just comes out from hardwork. Though money is a cycle, i'm curious too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

If you know of a bank that loans out €1m for a house worth 50k, I want their number! :)

A MAJOR investigation has been launched into how former Finance Minister Charlie McCreevy obtained a massive €1.6m Irish Nationwide loan to buy a luxury apartment in the K Club.

The Irish Independent has learned the EU Commissioner purchased the property in 2006, at the height of the boom, after borrowing funds that exceeded the value of the property.

Re the Guardian article

any money a bank loans out will just end up back in some bank again. So for the banking system as a whole, every loan just becomes another deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,818 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

So is a bank similar to a giant, legal ponzi scheme? In that they can't afford to repay all the depositors?

So is a bank similar to a giant, legal ponzi scheme? In that they can't afford to repay all the depositors?

Yes, and since the crash now we know it's too big to be allowed fail.

Advertisement