Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stand against racism, get slapped for it.

• 02-07-2014 2:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭

This is utterly galling. I know they're a small club but I'd be fighting this all the way if possible.
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/soccer/cork-soccer-club-fined-after-taking-stand-against-racist-taunts-aimed-at-player-635034.html

An underage Cork soccer club has been hit with a €200 fine after its coach refused to let his players continue a game when one of them was the subject of racist abuse.
    The incident occurred during a recent U15 Cork Schoolboys League game between Carrigaline United an an unnamed opposing side, according to the Irish Examiner.
    A player for Carrigaline, who were losing 1-0 at the break, "came off at half-time in a distressed state" after having been subjected to "a tirade of verbal racist abuse from a player on the opposing team", Carrigaline coach Mark McCarthy told The Examiner.

McCarthy, who said it was the second time this player had been subjected to abuse of this type, said he made decision not to allow his players continue with the game following consultation with the referee, who had not heard the alleged abuse.
    "However, he was called before the Cork Schoolboys League’s disciplinary committee, which imposed a €200 fine on Carrigaline United," the Examiner reported.

"We feel we are being punished for taking a stand.
    "These are only kids who want to play a game and we think the league is hiding behind the rule book here.”
    A spokesperson for the Cork Schoolboys League declined to discuss the matter saying it was policy not to comment publicly on disciplinary matters.

Link to examiner story also: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/schoolboy-soccer-club-fined-for-taking-players-off-pitch-in-stand-against-racism-273915.html

This is the last paragraph from the examiner story. What a s***bag.

Eddie Doyle, the honorary secretary of the Cork Schoolboys League, declined to discuss the details of the disciplinary committee hearings. But he said the league does follow the FAI’s code of practice for dealing with racist incidents, which are on the increase.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

ken wrote: »
    This is utterly galling. I know they're a small club but I'd be fighting this all the way if possible.
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/soccer/cork-soccer-club-fined-after-taking-stand-against-racist-taunts-aimed-at-player-635034.html

An underage Cork soccer club has been hit with a €200 fine after its coach refused to let his players continue a game when one of them was the subject of racist abuse.
    The incident occurred during a recent U15 Cork Schoolboys League game between Carrigaline United an an unnamed opposing side, according to the Irish Examiner.
    A player for Carrigaline, who were losing 1-0 at the break, "came off at half-time in a distressed state" after having been subjected to "a tirade of verbal racist abuse from a player on the opposing team", Carrigaline coach Mark McCarthy told The Examiner.

McCarthy, who said it was the second time this player had been subjected to abuse of this type, said he made decision not to allow his players continue with the game following consultation with the referee, who had not heard the alleged abuse.
    "However, he was called before the Cork Schoolboys League’s disciplinary committee, which imposed a €200 fine on Carrigaline United," the Examiner reported.

"We feel we are being punished for taking a stand.
    "These are only kids who want to play a game and we think the league is hiding behind the rule book here.”
    A spokesperson for the Cork Schoolboys League declined to discuss the matter saying it was policy not to comment publicly on disciplinary matters.

Link to examiner story also: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/schoolboy-soccer-club-fined-for-taking-players-off-pitch-in-stand-against-racism-273915.html

This is the last paragraph from the examiner story. What a s***bag.

Eddie Doyle, the honorary secretary of the Cork Schoolboys League, declined to discuss the details of the disciplinary committee hearings. But he said the league does follow the FAI’s code of practice for dealing with racist incidents, which are on the increase.
    disgusting for anyone to be racially abused. especially when trying to play a game they love

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

I'm not on Twitter but seems like it is something that should be posted to a few big name players to draw some attention to this.
    Total disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I'm not on Twitter but seems like it is something that should be posted to a few big name players to draw some attention to this.
    Total disgrace.

Good idea, maybe even send it to Roy Keane. As a former native of Cork, I'm sure he wouldn't be too impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Horrible story, but I believe that the guidelines are that only the referee can take this kind of action.

The logic behind the guielines (if I am remembering this correctly) is to stop teams who are losing making false claims of racism to get a match stopped/annulled. That might be very very unlikely at U-15 level, but it would be a real possibility higher up in professional leagues.

osarusan wrote: »
    Horrible story, but I believe that the guidelines are that only the referee can take this kind of action.

The logic behind the guielines (if I am remembering this correctly) is to stop teams who are losing making false claims of racism to get a match stopped/annulled. That might be very very unlikely at U-15 level, but it would be a real possibility higher up in professional leagues.

Another case where "logic" gets in the way of common sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Another case where "logic" gets in the way of common sense.

Does it? Surely the story would need to corroborated by the referee or linesman at least, before you could refuse to return to the field?

I hate the thought of some young fella having to put up with that crap, but you still need to be sure you're in the right before you pull your team out of a match.

Does it? Surely the story would need to corroborated by the referee or linesman at least, before you could refuse to return to the field?

I hate the thought of some young fella having to put up with that crap, but you still need to be sure you're in the right before you pull your team out of a match.

And how do you do that? With not being allowed to leave the field at all??

Advertisement