Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reputable Limerick Mechanics?

• 02-07-2014 2:15am

Hey folks,

Interested in (buying) a used car in Limerick. Want to get it looked over.

I'm nowhere near limerick, so bringing a mechanic with me isn't a financially feasible thing to do (if they'd even do that).

So was wondering if anyone on here could recommend me a mechanic in Limerick that I could arrange to look over a car, at all?

Not sure where exactly the car is, within limerick, so a mechanic that's somewhere central or easy to find. Also want him/her to be a legitimate business with an actual garage (ie; not John down the road with the Halfords DIY pack :P ).

Anyone able to help out?

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Brendan Cross (Crossroad Motors, Ballysimon) about 5 mile outside the city, We've used him for many years (various cars and Vans) with no issues on quality of his work or price.

http://www.goldenpages.ie/crossroad-motors-limerick-city/

Cheers Agent. Rang them up (lady answered the phone), and said they won't look at the car for me. :(

Does anyone have a number fora Brendan Butler?

Hes recommended everywhere, but cant find a number for the life of me!

KKV I spotted your other post about the car in the motoring section. 407 in Castleconnell yes? That area is on the Dublin side of Limerick anyway so you won't have to go near the city.

Chance my mechanic. He might be able to help you out. His name is Aidan Frahill but his garage trades under Seamus McGrath motors. Nice guy and knows his stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭manna452121

Try this, Brendan Butler 416453

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

On a side note, what would a rough fee be for a mechanic to go and look at a car with you?

Hey guys.

I didnt even get to see this thread til now. I left for limerick shortly after making my post above, and I didnt get to check back until now. I bought the car.

I got two mechanics to look at it. The first one was Henry Street Garage. He charged €30 to put the car on a ramp and look over it. He discovered 2 faults - steering rack leaking, and alternator pulley needs replacing.

The other mechanic, PJ's Garage, gave me two options. €30 to look it over, or €70 to look it over and wire it up to a diagnostics machine (check ABS, airbags, etc.). Playing it safe, I went with the €70 option. PJ's discovered the steering rack was leaking, but nothing else.

Make of that what you will.

But for 2 mechanics to give you peice of mind, it's the best €100 you'll ever spend buying a car in my opinion. I'd never buy a car again without doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Glad you got sorted and its always best to have someone look over it, on a side note Cross road motors are the most honest hard working mechanics you will find, fair play to them .

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lucy_mc

Hi

Im looking for a mechanic just to check out a probably electronics fault in an Audi A3, (theres a warning light). Ive had lots of bad experiences with rip-off mechanics and was hoping some one could recommend someone decent in the Dooradoyle or Ennis road area.

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

Lucy_mc wrote: »
    Hi

Im looking for a mechanic just to check out a probably electronics fault in an Audi A3, (theres a warning light). Ive had lots of bad experiences with rip-off mechanics and was hoping some one could recommend someone decent in the Dooradoyle or Ennis road area.

Thanks!

I've used Brendan Holmes in alpine Motors on the Mungret road just off the cement factory roundabout a few times. Never had an issue with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Mechanic - Aidan Frahill (Seamus McGrath Motors) Eastlink Business Park, Ballysimon rd.

Auto Electrician - Christy Madden (located in same business park) has been mentioned as an alternative to that other well known auto sparky

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lucy_mc

Mc Love wrote: »
    Mechanic - Aidan Frahill (Seamus McGrath Motors) Eastlink Business Park, Ballysimon rd.

Auto Electrician - Christy Madden (located in same business park) has been mentioned as an alternative to that other well known auto sparky

Thanks, I'm going to give Brendan Holmes a try as he's close to work. Thanks for the advice!

Aidan is one of the busiest garages in the city, but he still managed to return my car serviced within the day if that helps any bit.

Mc Love wrote: »
    Aidan is one of the busiest garages in the city, but he still managed to return my car serviced within the day if that helps any bit.

Was in with him last week as were half the motorists of Limerick. He really needs a bigger garage. Don't know how he manages

Was in with him last week as were half the motorists of Limerick. He really needs a bigger garage. Don't know how he manages

Its definitely a good sign if he is so busy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

I was in there this morning booking in my Focus and they were up to their eyes in it , great bunch of lads in there ( and a lassie ).

• Registered Users Posts: 24 scannyman

McCormacks Garage in Ardnacrusha, Albert is very knowledgeable, his Wife is also a mechanic. Above all they are honest!

Advertisement