Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data recovery after accidental format of my USB drive

Options
  • 02-07-2014 8:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭

Hi all, yesterday I accidentally formatted my USB drive and I am trying to find a way to recover the data for free.

I've tried around 3 to 4 tools but all of them ends up requiring me to pay around $60 after all the scanning was done. One of these tools seems to only recover up to ten files in the free version.

I have around 10gb+ of data on that drive although they are not very important I would want to recover them.

Can anyone suggest a free tool to do this.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

PhotoREC, Recuva you could try. Just keep in mind to recover onto another drive! Recovering on the formatted disk will overwrite it's contents!

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

+1 with Recuva as the best free method. Make sure you do not use that USB at ALL because any new writing to it could overwrite the old data.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭PenguinForce

Thanks for the suggestions. I will give them a goal when I'm off work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭GoodLord

Hi all, yesterday I accidentally formatted my USB drive and I am trying to find a way to recover the data for free.

I've tried around 3 to 4 tools but all of them ends up requiring me to pay around $60 after all the scanning was done. One of these tools seems to only recover up to ten files in the free version.

I have around 10gb+ of data on that drive although they are not very important I would want to recover them.

Can anyone suggest a free tool to do this.

Try this. Let us know what worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭PenguinForce

I used testdisk from the PhotoRec download and worked perfectly. All everything back.

Cheers for the suggestions :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement