Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf Half Marathon, Saturday 5/7/2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Clontarf HM 2014 Race Report

Arrived before 9 for my fourth HM. During my warmup I felt a bit of a breeze on the way back, but I felt good, and having minded myself well this week, I decided to follow the 1:40 pacer and see if I could pull clear towards the end.

Out
    There was a very large group with the 1:40 pacer. Incredibly even though the three waves were clearly defined, we were picking up stragglers from before the first km marker. It was particularly warm for the first half, but even so I wasn't having any difficulty staying with the man in orange. I went through 10k in 47:xx and turned around still feeling in decent shape. Maybe the PB (currently 1:37) was still on.

In
    The breeze was stronger than expected after the turn, but with guys in front and of course plenty of runners on the other side, we were fairly well shielded. Even so, I noticed more of our group slipping off, and my own effort had to increase. One thing I didn't manage well was pacing back up after working my way past slower runners/walkers. This would be important later.

Coming back along the causeway, I had to work harder again to stay in touch. I could feel my chance of a PB slipping away, but wasn't prepared to give up on it just yet. My wife was at the beach end of the causeway just before we moved onto the soft sand, and I still looked good at this stage (she recorded us passing). I took ages getting water at the station though, and ended up too far behind for my liking and having to nearly sprint to catch back up.

The turn on the beach was where the wheels came off. Between the heat, breeze, pushing too hard through the sand and everything else, I was completely knocked for six. I ended up rapidly going out the back of the group, and as they stretched away into the distance, my pace dropped dramatically. The beach is great to run on normally, but when you're struggling like I was, it feels like you'll never get off it. I thought I wouldn't reach the 16KM marker, let alone the finish. After what felt like an eternity I escaped the sand, but then was running back to the promenade with the wind and rain blasting straight into my face, as I was being passed by what felt like half the field!

The turn for home didn't bring much relief, and as I expected, the 1:45 group caught me with a mile and a half to go. Considering I thought I could at least stay with 1:40 for most of the race, this increased the hurt even more. Surely though if I remained upright I would beat my times from last year...or would I ? In a world of pain, I at least managed that, shuffling across the line in a chip time of 1:47:12. At the end I was in pure agony, and barely able to stand. The queue for Alkoholfrei Erdinger was too long for our liking, so my wife stopped off at an offie on the way home to get me some "real" (Weissbrau) Erdinger , which I savoured after an extended nap at home.

Analysis
    On reflection, I was definitely overreaching as regards trying to set a PB or even get close to it yesterday. I generally struggle more than most in warm weather, and yesterday provided more evidence of this. A more realistic tactic on the day may have been to hang in with the 1:45 group, and give myself more of a chance to at least finish strong, rather than fighting extreme exhaustion to get myself to the end. Slight drop in distance next, as I'm signed up to the Castleknock 5k on the 13th. It's short and local, so in theory less chance of suffering so much. Well done to all who ran and helped out yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭ooter

Very well organised race,no complaints at all.
    First time doing it and if I'm honest I was very complacent, I thought a PB was a certainty.
    I definitely underestimated the sand,it really takes it out of your legs.
    Came in just over a minute shy of my PB,disappointed but still a great time and finished in the top 40.
    I'll be back again to settle some unfinished business..

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Hi lads,
    Did this race yesterday as my first HM and really enjoyed it! Did it in 1:49 and a bit which I was delighted with as the sand was a real challenge,especially the return leg. Really enjoyed it and would recommend it to others, course was spectacular and a well organised,friendly race!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭ArtieFufkin

Caprica wrote: »
    Without doubt a flat course but deceptively tricky, the sand does tend to sap the stenght.

I agree, I think on the day a lot of runners were caught out by the sand. I missed my previous PB from last year by over 3 mins despite giving it a good go on the outward leg. I would have ended up in around 6 or 7th place if I managed my best. But that is academic as I think everyone was struggling! As soon as I hit the sand my pace dropped way down and that wind on the return was horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Wubble Wubble's report reads uncanningly like my own race :) so I sympathize..

I was doing my second half, after Wexford in April (1h52), so this time I decided to go with the 1h50 pacers. Great bunch, good steady pace. I was loving the route and scenery, the Bull Island part, the nice views, and the out-and-back section towards Sutton. The distraction from the faster runners at first, and the ones following us made the kilometers tick away steadily.

Along the causeway I started to notice the effort for the first time. However, when I looked around me, there were some folks in apparent worse shape than I was so I wasn't getting too worried. In fact, I had plenty of hope for a sub 1h50 or a PB at least.

Approaching Bull Island the second time, on a whim, I decided to take it slow, careful getting onto the beach, make sure I got some water from the station, and not trash the legs on the soft sand. This turned out to be a massive mistake, because within a minute of reaching the water-station I found myself dropped by the 1h50 group and in no-mans land 30-40 metres behind them as we're heading down the beach again. I hadn't realize there was nobody for a long way behind us.

At that exact moment it started to rain. Try as I might, I couldn't get with the group again, struggling with the wind, and the efforts to speed up cause my calves to seize up. On the wooden bridge, I had to stop a few times to stretch. A long unpleasant struggle back for a not-so-satisfying 1h54.

I couldn't believe how quickly it all fell apart. Valuable experience for the next time.

Great event, by the way. I really enjoyed it - well, most of it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DD Mikasa

Good race report Wubble Wubble. Had a very similar experience. Was tracking the 1.45 pacers myself (who I felt were actually going a tad too fast on the way out), and it was also on the causeway on way back to beach for the second time that the alarm bells started going out. That was the moment that a pb attempt was abandoned (it was on target at that point) and decision was made to just get home. Actually stopped on the soft stuff for a few seconds while taking on water. At that point mind and body just wanted to stop but of course that wasnt an option. In my head i was just going "35 more minutes and it'll be over". Turned into a right sufferfest, just like last year. The winter half last November was so comfortable in comparison to both.

Then getting off the sand and heading straight into the rain and what felt like a storm - felt like an eternity to get over wooden bridge and to take the left turn. Thru the 19km marker and stopped feeling sorry for myself a bit and tried to get the elbows pumping and knees lifting a bit and got a reasonable rhythm going which got me over the line in 1.47.57. In the circumstances happy enough although was hoping for sub 1.45. Donuts and non alco beer worked a treat afterwards.

Might just stick to bike in summer and only run in sub 10 degrees temps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

DD Mikasa wrote: »
    Good race report Wubble Wubble. Had a very similar experience. Was tracking the 1.45 pacers myself (who I felt were actually going a tad too fast on the way out),

Clontarf can be a hard one to pace. I paced the 1.30 and the plan was to bank a bit of time on the out section as the return leg can be like running against a wall, particularly on the beach. The idea was to run even effort rather than even pace. I personally think that if you run even splits the effort level running into the wind will kill off most peoples chances of hitting their targets. I can only assume that was the logic of the 1.45 pacers as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Clontarf can be a hard one to pace. I paced the 1.30 and the plan was to bank a bit of time on the out section as the return leg can be like running against a wall, particularly on the beach. The idea was to run even effort rather than even pace. I personally think that if you run even splits the effort level running into the wind will kill off most peoples chances of hitting their targets. I can only assume that was the logic of the 1.45 pacers as well.

+1
    I was pacing 1:50 with FerrisB and our plan was to run the first 'easy half' a bit quicker. We got to halfway about a minute up which allowed us to slow a little on the beach section on the way back. Even though we ran our two slowest miles of the race on that section it's where we lost the majority of our group. If we had tried to hold our average pace on that section I doubt any of the group would have been left with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

I found the organisation and course to be excellent - yes, the short stretches of soft sand on and off the beach are tough!

I did this half marathon as my marathon pace threshold run in week 2 of Pfitzinger and Douglas 18-55: the fast 8 miles were enough to see me through for a new PB of 1:36:16, and en route I beat my 10k and 10 mile PB. And I got in early enough to get a free non-alco glass of my favourite beer. Hashtag: smug :)

Newbie here so I can't post a link to my longer race report on my blog: it's at runandjumpblog.wordpress.com

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DD Mikasa

Point accepted re the pacing. The wind was always going to make that difficult. You know yourself when you're struggling you're just hoping for them to slow down a wee bit. the pacers were actually great, chatting away, checking on everyone etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

Oh Jesus - the sand and the wind and the driving rain in my face on the way back - I thought I would never got to the end. 1.53 - my first HM.
    I literally could not stand up last night.
    Well run event.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

born2bwild wrote: »
    Oh Jesus - the sand and the wind and the driving rain in my face on the way back - I thought I would never got to the end. 1.53 - my first HM.
    I literally could not stand up last night.
    Well run event.

This sounds exactly like my race to a tee! Glad to hear that the sand was tough for everyone and that the wind and rain on the wooden bridge was probably even harder, I too am auditioning for an extra in the next season of Fox's 'The Walking Dead', thighs are asking me to never run again :-),first HM done and now want to do it all over again.....when I recover in 3 weeks time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

@menoscemo - reading your reply, I am kicking myself even more for letting myself slip from your group around 14km.. I ran the first 2/3 of the race right on your shoulder. I did realize we were out well under target but hadn't copped that that meant we would "spend" that time on the way back.

This was my first time trying to follow a pacing group and I found it really helped. The banter, the confidence you get from running in a group at such a steady pace, made it all easier. Just seeing a couple of guys running at such ease also helps allot. Great experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I've paced Clontarf a couple of times at this stage and we'll always lose people on the beach on the way back due to the sand, tiredness and the wind. Paced 2 hrs with Aimman this year and we had a good group on the way out but as always, people started to drop out once we hit the beach the second time. I was telling as many as I could to work together in a group on the way back if they dropped off our group. The rain didn't help either along the beach.

It maybe a flat half but its far from the easiest half that you can do due to the micro climate on the course.

Maybe it's just me but I definitely didn't feel any benefit from the wind along the beach on the way out,very deceptive.I definitely felt it on my back on the main road before the turn back so was expecting it to be tougher on the way back down but I got a big shock when I got back on to the beach,jaysus that wind was consistently horrible.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

That rain shower was ridiculous! Came out of nowhere. I am constantly surprised why people don't draft more to take a bit if shelter from the wind. The wind on the beach was bad enough but I have experienced a lot worse! It's a course unlike all others. You really have to run it smart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

don't feel so bad now that I made a balls of it myself after reading everyone else's experience :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

DD Mikasa wrote: »
    Point accepted re the pacing. The wind was always going to make that difficult. You know yourself when you're struggling you're just hoping for them to slow down a wee bit. the pacers were actually great, chatting away, checking on everyone etc.

I paced 1:45 with the OH and would have loved to have slowed down :D;) Always a tricky one, we were a few seconds per mile quicker on the way out to protect against the possibility of the wind on the way back and it proved to be a vital as it turned out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

digger2d2 wrote: »
    I paced 1:45 with the OH and would have loved to have slowed down :D;) Always a tricky one, we were a few seconds per mile quicker on the way out to protect against the possibility of the wind on the way back and it proved to be a vital as it turned out!

Perfect pacing going by your finish times .

Just wondering folks. On the return journey coming off the beach why did the race veer up onto the upper path rather than straight back they way you went on way out. Was there a sign or a case of just following the crowd?

We had a mad scramble to get the water to the runners up there as the race was supposed to pass by the table below that.

It was a bad spot for it anyway and I've passed that onto organisers. I was just a volunteer on day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

RedRunner wrote: »
    Just wondering folks. On the return journey coming off the beach why did the race veer up onto the upper path rather than straight back they way you went on way out. Was there a sign or a case of just following the crowd?

We had a mad scramble to get the water to the runners up there as the race was supposed to pass by the table below that.

It was a bad spot for it anyway and I've passed that onto organisers. I was just a volunteer on day.

I noticed that too. The run should have returned the same way. I'd imagine some shark decided to get off the sand by the shortest route and everyone else followed like lemmings...Guilty:o. The presence of the barriers across the beach entrance ( preventing car access) probably didn't help matters. It obviously didn't make your job easier.

Ferris B wrote: »
    I noticed that too. The run should have returned the same way. I'd imagine some shark decided to get off the sand by the shortest route and everyone else followed like lemmings...Guilty:o. The presence of the barriers across the beach entrance ( preventing car access) probably didn't help matters. It obviously didn't make your job easier.

I don't think it shortened the route at all but it definitely meant less time on the soft sand.
    I actually though we had gone wrong on the outward leg given the presence of the barriers...

menoscemo wrote: »
    I don't think it shortened the route at all but it definitely meant less time on the soft sand.
    I actually though we had gone wrong on the outward leg given the presence of the barriers...

If you're talking about the barriers near the water station I think they were there to create a kind of roundabout effect for the five mile turnaround point.

The funny thing was the amount of HM runners heading for the water on the way out when it wasn't even an official water station at that point in the race. The lads were just setting up for the five mile race and hm return journey. It was only 4 km In and loads were going for water already. It was warm though I suppose.

But as I said it was badly positioned and led to the confusion. Should have had it back up on the road on opposite side of road. That way both five milers and hm runners would have it on their left on return journey.

Last year they had water station just as you exited beach. Thought that worked well but they didn't have to cater for the five mile course then.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭shane1981

RedRunner wrote: »

But as I said it was badly positioned and led to the confusion. Should have had it back up on the road on opposite side of road. That way both five milers and hm runners would have it on their left on return journey.

I agree but one of the few instructions given at the startline was not to take water from the table at 4 km as this was for the return leg, and yet there's guys running sub 1:35 pace going straight up to the table and grabbing bottles, (one of which was then flung 20 yards into the sand dunes) Some people really need to cop on.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

shane1981 wrote: »
    I agree but one of the few instructions given at the startline was not to take water from the table at 4 km as this was for the return leg, and yet there's guys running sub 1:35 pace going straight up to the table and grabbing bottles, (one of which was then flung 20 yards into the sand dunes) Some people really need to cop on.:(
    Every race has a couple of selfish ****heads like this, if spotted by the stewards they should be disqualified , but of course the the race director would start getting solicitors letters etc,. Unfortunately in any event or walk of life you can't legislate for arseholes , even on the trails in the Phoenix park there's discarded gel packs , outrageous carry on really , they're no better than those leaving empty cans of Dutch gold around the place , but of course these runners look down the nose at them ... Rant over.

Yep,I definitely heard the instruction that the water at the 4k stage was for the way back..
    Didn't feel the need for any water at that station but I have to admit I had to take some on board at the other stations even though I wasn't planning on taking any fluids.
    Didn't necessarily feel thirsty but my mouth was really dry,never experienced that before so maybe it was the sea air?
    Did anyone else notice the absolute arsehole who was flying up the path on his bike heading straight for the lads who had just turned back.one of the stewards on the lead bikes stopped him and gave him loads but he just continued on then.:confused:

Oh right. I didn't realise those instructions were given. Then they've no excuse. There's always one alright! Or two or three......

I was just concerned that those who needed water got it. Think we just about managed it. Much rather be running these races than stewarding! :-)

In fairness I was back in the third wave and didn't hear any instructions about not taking water at 4k. If you are going to have a station set up at that point it is unavoidable that people will take it.

There is no excuse for flinging bottles over sand dunes. That's just people being dicks even though Instructions were clearly given to drop them at km markers or in the bins.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

menoscemo wrote: »
    In fairness I was back in the third wave and didn't hear any instructions about not taking water at 4k. If you are going to have a station set up at that point it is unavoidable that people will take it.

There is no excuse for flinging bottles over sand dunes. That's just people being dicks even though Instructions were clearly given to drop them at km markers or in the bins.

+1

In fairness to Meno, he made a point (several times) of telling folk where to drop the bottles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

As regards Water bottles, its should be standard that they get put in a bin 200-300m from the stop or at a mile/km marker. Some of these jokers should be made to do a route clean up after a race.

Advertisement