Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tipperary v Galway, SHC Qualifier, Semple Stadium @ 7pm

124»

Comments

Wow, i certainly couldn't see that finish with 20 mins to go. Although ill admit it was as much of a Galway collapse then a Tipp fightback.

Ill also point to the space afforded in front of Galway's fullback and Seamie Callanan which Tipperary didn't exploit for a long time which left me pulling my hair out. Couldn't not understand how we were over-complicating things for ourselves.

There was nothing between the sides talent wise. Galway did look very jaded toward the back 15 of that game but I also do wonder how much the crowd plays its part. We had an overwhelming majority of support so it became sh*t or get off the pot time for our lads. To go out in their own ground in front of that majority on July 5th became a near reality and that could have acted as a real driver. Perhaps the same impact it had for Kilkenny last year on July 6th in Nowlan.

I think take nothing away, credit must be given to our lads, however i think there is too much inconsistencies to go the whole way. The team dont play in the same sync as they were in 2010 and look very disjointed at times.

As for Paudie, i think yesterday quashed any idea of him becoming the regular full back. His natural instinct is to attack the ball whereas its better for a modern day fullback to maybe stay behind the full forward that little bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭donnem33

Wow, i certainly couldn't see that finish with 20 mins to go. Although ill admit it was as much of a Galway collapse then a Tipp fightback.

Ill also point to the space afforded in front of Galway's fullback and Seamie Callanan which Tipperary didn't exploit for a long time which left me pulling my hair out. Couldn't not understand how we were over-complicating things for ourselves.

There was nothing between the sides talent wise. Galway did look very jaded toward the back 15 of that game but I also do wonder how much the crowd plays its part. We had an overwhelming majority of support so it became sh*t or get off the pot time for our lads. To go out in their own ground in front of that majority on July 5th became a near reality and that could have acted as a real driver. Perhaps the same impact it had for Kilkenny last year on July 6th in Nowlan.

I think take nothing away, credit must be given to our lads, however i think there is too much inconsistencies to go the whole way. The team dont play in the same sync as they were in 2010 and look very disjointed at times.

As for Paudie, i think yesterday quashed any idea of him becoming the regular full back. His natural instinct is to attack the ball whereas its better for a modern day fullback to maybe stay behind the full forward that little bit.

I think tipp will gain huge confidence from that win yesterday and i would not be surprised to see them go on a long roll. They will be hard to beat

donnem33 wrote: »
    very disappointing last 20 mins from galway..the lads gave it everything and were dead on their feet for a finish. Possibly having 3 intense matches in 3 weeks took its toll

Sorry that's just a bad excuse banded out in GAA.

Losing provincial finalists in the qualifiers: Having to play the following week is too hard

Winning provincial finalists in the qualifiers: The break didn't help the qualifier against the provincial losers.

These lads train to the level of professionals, playing 15 weeks in a row shouldnt even be a problem.

I watch Aussie Rules which is a FAR more physical game than both football and hurling and these lads get a ONE week break during an 18 round season and that's just a bye to even out the fixtures.

They lost because we had ZERO ball winners in the HF line the last 20minutes.
    I like him as a hurler but C.Cooney isn't a primary ball winner, maybe if we can conjure up a few genuine HF's he can return to a more suitable role in the FF line.

Canning, Glynn and Daithi Burke are the only three players we have who can consistently win aerial ball.
    We need another two or three, if we don't have them, then we need to develop a system for winning breaking ball.
    It's not exactly rocket science to pick players and develop a system for getting the extra bodies to the contest before the opposition.
    Numerous times the past two years we're seeing our players outnumbered in attack and even numbered in defence which leads to easy scores and people being turned and forced to foul.

Sorry that's just a bad excuse banded out in GAA.

Losing provincial finalists in the qualifiers: Having to play the following week is too hard

Winning provincial finalists in the qualifiers: The break didn't help the qualifier against the provincial losers.

These lads train to the level of professionals, playing 15 weeks in a row shouldnt even be a problem.

I watch Aussie Rules which is a FAR more physical game than both football and hurling and these lads get a ONE week break during an 18 round season and that's just a bye to even out the fixtures.

They lost because we had ZERO ball winners in the HF line the last 20minutes.
    I like him as a hurler but C.Cooney isn't a primary ball winner, maybe if we can conjure up a few genuine HF's he can return to a more suitable role in the FF line.

Canning, Glynn and Daithi Burke are the only three players we have who can consistently win aerial ball.
    We need another two or three, if we don't have them, then we need to develop a system for winning breaking ball.
    It's not exactly rocket science to pick players and develop a system for getting the extra bodies to the contest before the opposition.
    Numerous times the past two years we're seeing our players outnumbered in attack and even numbered in defence which leads to easy scores and people being turned and forced to foul.

The key word in both those sentences is professional. Hurlers train like professionals but are amateurs. They all have to work during the week in addition to training a few times a week aswell. Professionals get a chance for their bodies to recover properly, they dont need to worry bout getting up for work the following morning.

You could clearly see galway players were shattered in the last 10 mins! although i would agree with you that we do not possess enough players capable of winning their own ball and our midfield for the 3rd match in a row was completely wiped out of it!

I think tipp will gain huge confidence from that win yesterday and i would not be surprised to see them go on a long roll. They will be hard to beat

It could be possible although i think they still need to iron out alot of naivete's and we are struggling to get a fullback to replace Paul Curran who it would seem the curtain is close to coming down on his intercounty career. Stapleton, O'Mahony and Padraic have all being shoehorned into that position with various levels of success. Conor has probably been the most successful of those we tried but long term, he isn't the answer either.

Also that type of game yesterday where Galway afforded way too much space in front of their full back was always going to suit us if we could somehow acquire the common sense to put the ball in there at some. The likes of Limerick, Kilkenny or Dublin will prove alot harder to break down in that situation as they like to limit space to a premium in their own forty.

I think Galway need to keep the faith. They are better then their performances and scorelines suggest. Cunningham did do good work with them and managed to create a winning team to a certain degree but he is not the long time solution. They need maybe a young fresh hungry manager to come in that can relate to the current crop of players and get the best out of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

djPSB wrote: »
    P Maher has to be played in the half back line from now on.

I can never understand why he was switched to fullback.

I can never understand why he was switched to fullback.

I think O'Mahony was injured for a league game so Paudie was moved back there.

Actually done well there in the league final but there is too much hurling in him for full back. He might do a job if needs be for a period of a match but he is not the long term solution.

Actually done well there in the league final but there is too much hurling in him for full back. He might do a job if needs be for a period of a match but he is not the long term solution.

if he is to play full back, he needs to stop trying to catch every single ball and bat it away! He got badly exposed by johnny glynn in the air

Yeah he has too much to offer to be kept at fullback. Has Paul Curran not recovered from his hip surgery?

if he is to play full back, he needs to stop trying to catch every single ball and bat it away! He got badly exposed by johnny glynn in the air

Id agree 100%. What he is doing is utter madness. He tried to compete with Aisake back in 2010 and seems to have never learned from the experience. Lovely hurler to watch but there is that element of the Hollywood stuff that could be to our detriment.

Felt sorry for his kid brother yesterday. He obviously must be going very well in training but what a huge game to start a 19/20 year old in. Madness.

• Advertisement

Yeah he has too much to offer to be kept at fullback. Has Paul Curran not recovered from his hip surgery?

Curran is fit again but has fallen down the pecking order. Id would very much doubt whether he has the legs for inter-county anymore. In fairness he never had the greatest pace but the game is perpetually evolving so it would be extremely difficult for him to come back now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

From a galway viewpoint, very disappointing campaign again. Being a galway supporter should come with a health warning - from the highs they can give to the depressing lows - and all in one game!! In saying that, i think we have found answers to full and centre back in the 2 burkes, jason flynn corner forward and brehony will be a serious hurler.The only positives from a disappointing year. Joe cooney and mannion are not up to senior intercounty imo.

Daithi Burke has had a great year, but made a few mistakes in the closing stages yesterday that got punished fully. Ronan also has had a fine debut year, but got exposed for pace yesterday. Flynn and Brehony have to push on and improve. Joe Cooney has never looked like a county player, very strange given his pedigree. Disagree about Mannion; he sniped 2 fine points last evening, has good skill and kept looking for the game. A position out the field would suit him better.

MfMan wrote: »
    Daithi Burke has had a great year, but made a few mistakes in the closing stages yesterday that got punished fully. Ronan also has had a fine debut year, but got exposed for pace yesterday. Flynn and Brehony have to push on and improve. Joe Cooney has never looked like a county player, very strange given his pedigree. Disagree about Mannion; he sniped 2 fine points last evening, has good skill and kept looking for the game. A position out the field would suit him better.

in relation to the 2 burkes, they are 2 young men playing in 2 key positions which has been a problem for galway for so many years and i think they have made them their own. I would expect them to be even better next year having got good experience this year. I agree with you about joe cooney, i dont know why anthony cunningham rates him so highly, i have rarely seen him play well. hes too slow when he gets turned.

thats fair enough about mannion, you're entitled to your opinion. I saw him play a few league matches and i was very impressed with him. However, i havent been the last few weeks. hes very good when he has the ball in space and is very accurate, but in a 50/50 situation he normally ends up second best. In saying that he is very young and when he bulks up abit, he may be able to fight for the ball better.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

The key word in both those sentences is professional. Hurlers train like professionals but are amateurs. They all have to work during the week in addition to training a few times a week aswell. Professionals get a chance for their bodies to recover properly, they dont need to worry bout getting up for work the following morning.

You could clearly see galway players were shattered in the last 10 mins! although i would agree with you that we do not possess enough players capable of winning their own ball and our midfield for the 3rd match in a row was completely wiped out of it!

There's some luck involved in who you get in the qualifiers and when. Definitely Galway tired in the second half. Three games in a row was down just to drawing with Kilkenny after extra time and losing the replay. Ironically, if Galway had lost the first day against K.K. they would have had two weeks to prepare for Tipp, and maybe then have had an advantage over Tipp who had to wait 5 weeks? The bottom line is that once you lose a match and go into qualifiers you're getting a second chance and have to take what comes. Luck of the draw, rather than any bad planning. No room for complaints. Do have sympathy for Galway, though.

Curran is fit again but has fallen down the pecking order. Id would very much doubt whether he has the legs for inter-county anymore. In fairness he never had the greatest pace but the game is perpetually evolving so it would be extremely difficult for him to come back now.

Even if he doesn't have the legs, he could still offer a lot at fullback. It's the one position on the field where you don't need a lot of speed. Although with Glynn catching everything yesterday, any fullback probably would have been in trouble.

There's actually a good article in the Leinster final programme today with KK legend Fan Larkin. Smallest man ever probably to play inter-county fullback, but he was a master at winning ball against tall men!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 camstar

dont really fancy bringing up the game as a galway supporter but just wondering why shane mcgrath hasnt been starting for tipp?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mags85

camstar wrote: »
    dont really fancy bringing up the game as a galway supporter but just wondering why shane mcgrath hasnt been starting for tipp?

Mcgrath hasn't performed well since 2010, captaining the team last year didn't do much for his confidence either. Hopefully not starting will give him fight to get back to his best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

mags85 wrote: »
    Mcgrath hasn't performed well since 2010, captaining the team last year didn't do much for his confidence either. Hopefully not starting will give him fight to get back to his best.

Didn't he get the mumps or something similar? Very debilitating illness that can take years to get over.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mags85

Ya I think so but it was before 2010 if I recall. He was under Sheedy at the time afaik.

Advertisement