Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clare v Wexford, SHC Qualifier, Cusack Park, Ennis, 5th July, @3.45

• 02-07-2014 9:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

Can Clare keep their two-in-a-row dreams alive, or can Wexford pull off the shock of the year?

Cathal Mc Allister is the referee

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Clare should win this especially with it being on in Ennis. Should be a good game though, Wexford have improved a lot this year and still hard to know where Clare are at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭shamco

T0001 wrote: »
    Can Clare keep their two-in-a-row dreams alive, or can Wexford pull off the shock of the year?

Cathal Mc Allister is the referee
    McAllister is not a bad ref . He certainly is a lot better than McGrath who I see gave another soft free to decide a match in Antrim

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭wingbacknr5

shamco wrote: »
    McAllister is not a bad ref . He certainly is a lot better than McGrath who I see gave another soft free to decide a match in Antrim

Is this game on TV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭shamco

Is this game on TV?
    Yes on RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭wingbacknr5

shamco wrote: »
    Yes on RTE

Great, thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

I still cant print off my ticket for this game through the seasonticket website? Maybe its not ready yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Clare should win this by about 10 points if they can get into 2nd gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭purplepanda

This strange "theory" that many seem to have claiming Wexford are getting better this season will be confirmed or not on Sunday. :(

Last year they drew in normal time against Clare & took Dublin to a replay, this year they already have lost against the Dubs by 6 points & I can't see any chance of improvement against Clare?

How exactly Wexford will have improved after losing against Clare this Sunday is lost on me! :pac:

WX to lose by 8 points & continue going backwards :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

On a side note, Wexford GAA lost one of it's icons today with the passing of Tim Flood, winner of three AI medals and one of the last remaining links from the great hurling team of the 1950's that captivated the country. RIP

Should serve as some sort of extra motivation for the boys on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

To any of you who never saw Tim Flood play you missed seeing one of the very best. He was a stylish back when brawn was more admired than style and was a forerunner of the modern type back. I saw him give one of the finest displays I ever saw from anyone against Kilkenny in the Nowlan park. He was a one man team that day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭letowski

Wexford Team:

Mark Fanning; Liam Ryan, Matthew O'Hanlon, Keith Rossiter; Eoin Moore, Lee Chin, Ciaran Kenny; David Redmond, Harry Kehoe; Garrett Sinnott, Podge Doran, Liam Og McGovern; Paul Morris, Conor McDonald, Rory Jacob.

Strange to see Jack Guiney losing out, got the equalising goal against us last year. He can be a bit inconsistent, but he is still under 21 and wont improve his quality sitting on the bench. Chin at center back is different too, as he played there during the league but not against the Dubs.

McDonald will be a handful, likely Dillon will be marking him. I think they will give our boys a tricky enough task at home, especially if some of our key players are still off form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

letowski wrote: »
    Wexford Team:

Mark Fanning; Liam Ryan, Matthew O'Hanlon, Keith Rossiter; Eoin Moore, Lee Chin, Ciaran Kenny; David Redmond, Harry Kehoe; Garrett Sinnott, Podge Doran, Liam Og McGovern; Paul Morris, Conor McDonald, Rory Jacob.

Strange to see Jack Guiney losing out, got the equalising goal against us last year. He can be a bit inconsistent, but he is still under 21 and wont improve his quality sitting on the bench. Chin at center back is different too, as he played there during the league but not against the Dubs.

McDonald will be a handful, likely Dillon will be marking him. I think they will give our boys a tricky enough task at home, especially if some of our key players are still off form.

Jack being inconsistent is an understatement. He scored a point almost straight from throw in against the Dubs but was totally anonymous there on in and was actually lucky to last as long as he did before being taken off in the second half. In the under-21 semi against a poor Offaly side last week was responsible for at least five poor wides in the first half when the game was there to be won, but went out and fired over some fine points in the second half when the game WAS done.

And anyone who saw the Dublin match last time around would have seen Shore having no presence despite his tall frame, and being susceptible to either being hooked too easily or miscuing passes out of play. Fair balls from Dunne for making the changes.

Pretty much would have gone with the same team with maybe Chin midfield for his athleticism alongside O'Keeffe for his running game, and Kenny centre-back (Kehoe making way then).

Wexford will be as game as they were last year, and will give a good account of themselves but I just feel the fact it's Clare's first championship game at home since winning the AI means any possible complacency will be thrown out the window and their class will come to the fore at the end.

Clare Team:

Pa Kelly; Jack Browne, David McInerney, Cian Dillon; Brendan Bugler, Conor Ryan, Patrick O'Connor; Colm Galvin, Patrick Donnellan; John Conlon, Tony Kelly, Colin Ryan; Paudraic Collins, Conor McGrath, Cathal McInerney.

Two changes so, Kelly for Touhy in goals and Cathal McInerney for Duggan.

I must admit I didn't fully expect Davy to drop Touhy despite his poor performance against Cork. Thought he was the more stubborn sort, but I think he has made the right call. Touhy's puckouts are poor, and with the lack of ball winners in this Clare team, this quality carries extra weight.

Duggan is a little unlucky but Kelly simply has to play further out the field, which means Duggan is the odd one out around the middle as he can't really drop his captain, free taker and main ball winner (Donnellan, Ryan, Conlan).

Overall I'd be hopeful of a good performance and a return to the type of game we like to play. With our three best forwards, Kelly, McGrath and Podge back to their usual roles we can achieve this against a talented Wexford team. It important from our point of view that the experienced players (Bugler, Donnellan, Colin Ryan) find form, if we want to make any impression on this year's championship.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Wow, big call in dropping Touhy, 1 that I honestly didn't think Davy had in him considering they had a row earlier in the year. I think purplepanda is spot on when he says that Wexford haven't really moved on from last year. I don't think Clare can afford to take things easy, they can't really "go through the gears" as they seem to be either play flat out or not at all. Hopefully Clare will remember last years game and not drop with 10 minutes to go assuming they have it won, they should have been beaten last year at the end of the game.

I reckon Clare are a good bet on the handicap (-7) but not by much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Clareman wrote: »
    Wow, big call in dropping Touhy, 1 that I honestly didn't think Davy had in him considering they had a row earlier in the year. I think purplepanda is spot on when he says that Wexford haven't really moved on from last year. I don't think Clare can afford to take things easy, they can't really "go through the gears" as they seem to be either play flat out or not at all. Hopefully Clare will remember last years game and not drop with 10 minutes to go assuming they have it won, they should have been beaten last year at the end of the game.

I reckon Clare are a good bet on the handicap (-7) but not by much.

There's no real evidence that Clare have moved on from last year either though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

There's no real evidence that Clare have moved on from last year either though

All Ireland Senior and Under 21 Champions, league semi-finalists, if both teams have stayed the same then Clare are still a bit ahead, being at home is a huge advantage as well.

All Ireland Senior and Under 21 Champions, league semi-finalists, if both teams have stayed the same then Clare are still a bit ahead, being at home is a huge advantage as well.

Right but how can Wexford have moved on from last year when they exited the championship in basically this round last year?

Right but how can Wexford have moved on from last year when they exited the championship in basically this round last year?

The only way you can compare teams is by comparing the teams they've played, as purplepanda pointed out they drew with Dublin last year, they were beaten (in the end) by 6 points this year.

And wasn't the match between Clare and Wexford the next round last year, Clare beat Laois in this tie last year.

The only way you can compare teams is by comparing the teams they've played, as purplepanda pointed out they drew with Dublin last year, they were beaten (in the end) by 6 points this year.

And wasn't the match between Clare and Wexford the next round last year, Clare beat Laois in this tie last year.

Yeah Wexford beat Carlow, but what Im saying is basically they are at the same stage they were last year. So they've had the one game against Dublin, where they were being tipped all around to cause an upset unlike last yeat. Now, expectations are reduce. Similar to last year, when despite drawing with Dublin they were well bet the next day and got over Carlow by 2 points. No expectations against Clare, and being honest there is no way that game should have gone to extra time.

With that said, I wouldn't be the least surprised if this was some way close.

Do Clare look like they've improved this year based on the performance v Cork? Not saying that result makes them a bad team, but you can't use last years comparison of what Clare achieved in further rounds having beaten Wexford in extra time, then exclude the Cork game and judge Wexford based on the Dublin game this year.

I think you're making a fair point Mountainlad. The thing is, Clare's system of play is much more in the spotlight this year, and teams have well thought out strategies to deal with it, like JBM had in June. However, the form of key players such as Bulger, Kelly, Donnellan, etc. has to improve if we are to push on, as they are critical in the type of game plan we play.

I think this is Davys biggest test as manager, to get his team back firing. We dont want to go down the road kinda like the Tipp 2010 team, where 4 years on their weaknesses haven't been addresses. Then again, we've one of the youngest squads in the championship, and our u21 team is favourites for the All-Ireland, so you would hope there would be a natural progression and improvement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,118 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Good start here from wexford, looking very sharp and lead 3-1 after 7 minutes

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Wexford have all the intensity in the opening few minutes.

Cracking goal from wexford, poor goalkeeping though. Clare could be in trouble here.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Would RTE bloody well start broadcasting in HD the picture is terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭131spanner

1-6 to 0-1, Clare looking shook :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

What on earth is going on!?!?

:D

obezyana wrote: »
    Would RTE bloody well start broadcasting in HD the picture is terrible.

The game is in HD, am watching it in HD right now. Cracking picture.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Does RTE 1 broadcast in HD? On Sky 101 it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Must have took about 13 steps there free out all day.

Hon wexford!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

No it's not. Look at the blurriness of the pitch. If it was HD it would be far clearer.

I would not like to be in the Clare dressing room at half time Davy will be like a bulldog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

It's upscaled SD on a HD channel.

Neeson wrote: »
    No it's not. Look at the blurriness of the pitch. If it was HD it would be far clearer.

Are you sure you are watching rte one hd and not just the regular rte one?
    MMy picture is perfect.
    Must say the pitch looks in great condition.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Lads forget HD. Wexford have a 8 point lead already!

Chipping away at this lead, slowly.

• Advertisement

Could prove to be a crucial save there by the clare goalkeeper.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

great save from Kelly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Wexford need to stop giving away silly frees. They are undoing all their hard work.

Poor effort from Jacob really

obezyana wrote: »
    Does RTE 1 broadcast in HD? On Sky 101 it doesn't.

You must be watching on Sky, sky have refused to broadcast that channel for some reason.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Great stuff from Pa Kelly there.

It's a good thing Colin Ryan is on form, picking away the points from frees is the lifeline at the minute.

You must be watching on Sky, sky have refused to broadcast that channel for some reason.

Yeah I'm on Sky. They have HD for nearly everything except RTE 1. I'll just have to try and make out what the players are doing. :p

Shaping up to be a cracking second half, lads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

How did people survive without HD in the past?

Watch the game and stop bloody moaning.

Oh Podge... :(

My Lord, what was podge Collins thinking, very foolish.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

That was idiotic from Collins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

WTF was Collins at. Idiot:mad:

Stupid to touch the helmet there. One of the most stupid red cards to ever concede.

Nib wrote: »
    How did people survive without HD in the past?

Watch the game and stop bloody moaning.

Calm down lad i for one was only pointing out how crap the picture is no big deal. No usual HD for me but hey it doesn't matter im watching and enjoying.

• Advertisement
Advertisement