Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clare v Wexford, SHC Qualifier, Cusack Park, Ennis, 5th July, @3.45

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    "Does any team deserve to lose it?" asks Ger - I'd be saying neither side deserves to win it.

I only saw the extra time bit but thought it was a decent enough display.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Sometimes I wonder how Darach Honan is on the Clare panel. He has an awful first touch!

Yeah but one of many. In fairness, he got a lot less time to get into it then some of the backs who made a load of mistakes in that first half.

I hope possession hurling dies a horrible death.

What do you mean ?

That was the worse game of intercounty hurling I've seen in years - the amount of individuals errors by players was off-the-scale.

That's a huge exaggeration. First touch was poor overall, but plenty of good skill to go along with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

World Cup commentator John Kenny in Ennis this evening.

No expense spared by RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

When you look at the Clare side, I don't see what all the fuzz is about. Very overrated in my opinion. They won the All Ireland last year which is fair enough. But they aren't great as good as people think they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭The White Feather

RTE pundits nonsensing on that it was a "great advertisement for the game"

Just because a result is close doesn't mean it was a good game.

Out of the close to 40 players out there how many had a good game?

ah come on it was very exciting. great entertainment.

2-25 scored by both sides. Penalties, saves and misses all together!

Maybe the skills and wides were poor but it was a great game to watch at least. I agree a lot of mistakes were made but it was exciting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭68deville

RTE pundits nonsensing on that it was a "great advertisement for the game"

Just because a result is close doesn't mean it was a good game.

Out of the close to 40 players out there how many had a good game?

Well just p*** Off for the replay then!
    :

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

J@ysus I'm not well, Wexford deserved to win that match, a bit like the Clare footballers against Kerry, if they believed they could have won it they would have, they had some poor wides in the second half when they could have won it. Next game is tough to call, both teams left everything out there, besides Podge's stupidity I don't think there was a dirty stroke in the whole game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Wexford had a great opportunity to claim a big scalp and blew it.Considering they were 10 points up after 15 minutes and were against 14 men for 35 minutes on a very hot day you would think on a day like today an extra man would make a real difference and a good team would be able to exploit that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

That's a huge exaggeration. First touch was poor overall, but plenty of good skill to go along with it.

Really - there were a few moments of skill but for the most part it was mistake-littered stuff. Really struggling to think of any decent passages of sustained play.

Seems like I am on my own with this opinion. I just thought it was a long distance off top intercounty hurling.

Can anyone come up with any intercounty hurling games that were worse this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Wexford threw that away, it's very very unlikely Clare will be as bad again, they were very poor. And it's not as if they are going to be playing against 14 men for 35 mins again.

Wexford, at times, look very good but some really brainless play and awful shooting cost them. And they couldn't handle Conor McGrath, who was Clare's lifeline.

Disappointing for them, how many goal chances did they miss? How many woeful wides?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

ah come on it was very exciting. great entertainment.

2-25 scored by both sides. Penalties, saves and misses all together!

Maybe the skills and wides were poor but it was a great game to watch at least. I agree a lot of mistakes were made but it was exciting!

I'm not saying it wasn't entertaining - I'm saying that the level of performances on both sides were poor.

How many of the scores came from deadballs?

How many of the scores came from great play by forwards as opposed to bad play by backs?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Darach Honan looked like a world beater years ago but now his touch is terrible. He missed an easy chance to win the game also.

What happened to him? Sad to see him look so bad in that game

he did not look sharp at all today (And probably for the past couple of seasons either tbh), but he certainly wasn't alone to day in that regard it has to be said most of the team bar McGrath, Dillion and McInerney are playing way below the standards they set last year.

He has had a fairly bad time with injuries over the course of his senior intercounty career so far, so I would be concerned he might never become the player the threatened to be at U21 level and his first season of senior hurling.

I'm not saying it wasn't entertaining - I'm saying that the level of performances on both sides were poor.

How many of the scores came from deadballs?

How many of the scores came from great play by forwards as opposed to bad play by backs?

I agree with you from the performances standpoint.

It looked like both teams were afraid to lose the game rather than go to win it. Then again they know they are out if they lose so the nerves start jangling.

At least both teams get another go at it so things might be a bit more settled in the replay, resulting in less actual reliance on the other teams mistakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

At the very end, Paul Morris could have tried to burst through on goal and win the game by shooting for goal. Now, he very well may have missed... Kelly was doing well and the Wexford forwards were shooting poorly, but the chance was there. Instead, he took the point.

They also tapped a penalty over the bar when a goal would have killed the game. And they missed a glorious opportunity to win it with the last puck of normal time.

I suppose if they went for goal and missed, you'd be criticising them for being too ambitious but some teams/players go for goal whenever they get the sniff. Wexford couldn't kill Clare off and they may live to regret it. I suppose they survived through extra-time, when many would have written off (including me) with Clare restored to their full compliment. Maybe they'll fancy their chances down in Wexford Park, it's a very very tough place to go... but Clare are the All-Ireland champions and I can't see them making the same mistakes again. I'd love to see an upset, that's why last year's Championship was so good, but I can't see it now.

• Advertisement

Fireball07 wrote: »
    At the very end, Paul Morris could have tried to burst through on goal and win the game by shooting for goal. Now, he very well may have missed... Kelly was doing well and the Wexford forwards were shooting poorly, but the chance was there. Instead, he took the point.

They also tapped a penalty over the bar when a goal would have killed the game. And they missed a glorious opportunity to win it with the last puck of normal time.

I suppose if they went for goal and missed, you'd be criticising them for being too ambitious but some teams/players go for goal whenever they get the sniff. Wexford couldn't kill Clare off and they may live to regret it. I suppose they survived through extra-time, when many would have written off (including me) with Clare restored to their full compliment. Maybe they'll fancy their chances down in Wexford Park, it's a very very tough place to go... but Clare are the All-Ireland champions and I can't see them making the same mistakes again. I'd love to see an upset, that's why last year's Championship was so good, but I can't see it now.

In fairness at that stage I'd say he was out on his feet. The penalty, Guiney's chance and Diarmuid O Keefe not squaring the ball to McDonald when his shot was saved by Kelly plus their wides cost them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭STIG83

Where was Shane o Donnell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Any idea when the replay will be? Round 2 scheduled.for next week..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

STIG83 wrote: »
    Where was Shane o Donnell?

Injured

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Any idea when the replay will be? Round 2 scheduled.for next week..

It'll be next weekend, I think there's 2 weekends of round 2, the under 21 during the week will be an issue for both teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

World Cup commentator John Kenny in Ennis this evening.

No expense spared by RTE

Huh?

Clareman wrote: »
    It'll be next weekend, I think there's 2 weekends of round 2, the under 21 during the week will be an issue for both teams.

The under Munster u21 semis aren't until Wedneday/Thursday week. Only affects Wexford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭STIG83

Clareman wrote: »
    Injured

How long out for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Huh?

Well it must have cost them a huge amount of money to fly John Kenny back from Brazil just to do interviews for today's hurling match.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

STIG83 wrote: »
    How long out for?

I think he is pretty close to being back, hamstring for last 6-7 weeks

Well it must have cost them a huge amount of money to fly John Kenny back from Brazil just to do interviews for today's hurling match.

Not relative to this thread, but fyi RTE have 4 out in Brazil. Hamilton, Collins, Houghton and Kerr. I can't imagine most european Countries covering it brought anymore.

If he was there sure they would have brought most of the B soccer commentary team back after the group stages, its not like they will be flying him straight back out there from Shannon to make coffee for George Hamilton ;)

John Kenny was commentating from the RTE studios in Montrose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭ollaetta

marco_polo wrote: »
    I think he is pretty close to being back, hamstring for last 6-7 weeks

Right not to rush him back. Seem to recall that he pulled it in one of the League games and didn't make it through his first club game back setting him back further.

ollaetta wrote: »
    Right not to rush him back. Seem to recall that he pulled it in one of the League games and didn't make it through his first club game back setting him back further.

Oh yeah I completely forgot about that the original injury was back in March/April

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭burrenguy

Paul Kinnerk was at the game for whoever asked that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Can't believe people are giving out about the quality of this game.

I thought it was a great game.

One of the worst games of the last few years? Eh OK.

some people are never happy unless they are complaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

adrian522 wrote: »

Good for excitement maybe but I thought the standard was poor enough. I can't believe how flat footed, disorganised and disinterested out lads looked. First touch was awful, there was no hassling and harrying of the man in possession like we were doing last year and all through the league and I seen lads jogging towards the loose ball all too often when they should have being going full tilt for it. I won't single anyone out but the whole team look tired to me. They have shown they are a lot better than today through the league and last years championship! Hopefully today will kick them back into gear but I said that after the Cork match too. Don't know what podge was thinking chopping down on your mans hand and pulling off his helmet, very out of character for him and he can have no complaints.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

in fairness, I think its only one person who is saying it, so I wouldnt be too bothered. I thought it was a good game to be honest, despite the misses and some poor touches. It was far better than a lot of games so far this year, by far the best game Wexford have been involved in anyway.

bruschi wrote: »
    in fairness, I think its only one person who is saying it, so I wouldnt be too bothered. I thought it was a good game to be honest, despite the misses and some poor touches. It was far better than a lot of games so far this year, by far the best game Wexford have been involved in anyway.

Impressed by Wexford Bruschi, Dunne doing a good job down there. Hopefully, they continue to improve.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I don't know, as a neutral I really enjoyed it. Clare showed a lot of character to come back in fairness.

I don't know, as a neutral I really enjoyed it. Clare showed a lot of character to come back in fairness.

I think everyone really enjoyed it Adrian, but there were a lot of very poor wides , and the first touches of some players was shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Huge character. They never really panicked. If Kilkenny did this we would all be saying typical champions and what a great team they are.

I think everyone really enjoyed it Adrian, but there were a lot of very poor wides , and the first touches of some players was shocking.

Yeah, but in any game yo'll get players hitting wides, making mistakes.

Other than the 2008 All Ireland final you will see some mistakes, but I can't entertain the idea that this was a bad game. Certainly not one of the worst of recent times.

• Advertisement

By the way, did anyone notice that when Podge was shown in the dugout after being sent off he was surrounded by Fitzgeralds, I thought there were rules around who was allowed on the sidelines for matches now?

Impressed by Wexford Bruschi, Dunne doing a good job down there. Hopefully, they continue to improve.

one swallow and all that Mountainlad.

I'm still reserving judgement. you may think thats harsh after drawing with the AI champions, but we're still a bit off the pace in Division 2, we were awful against Dublin, a game that realistically should have been there for the taking, and bar todays performance, we havent really beaten any team of note at all. There have been signs and glimpses of improvement, but it needs to be consistent.

Growing up, we'd always go to a game and even if we were underdogs, we'd always say theres usually one performance in them in the season. Its like we're back to that now again, but we need to have more than one performance in a season.

We're far more competitive at underage now too, and only for a last shot wonderpoint in Parnell park, the minors would have drawn with Dublin in the Leinster semi. The 21s are in the final (which now looks like it will be postponed on Wednesday) so the future is looking better. But we're still not there, still a lot to be done.

But I'll enjoy the positives from today. Yes, realistically we should have won, but at the same time, we're coming away from Ennis saying we should have beaten the reigning AI champions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

niallo27 wrote: »
    Huge character. They never really panicked. If Kilkenny did this we would all be saying typical champions and what a great team they are.

I thought Wexford would fold when Clare got the draw in normal time. Wexford really had it won at that stage. I admired Wexford's fighting qualities all through the extra time periods. It was a massive improvement by Wexford and a lot has to do with Dunne's courage is selecting the team. The venue for the replay will have a big bearing on the next game, strange that it is not automatically in Wexford but that is the qualifiers for you a mine field at the best of times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Sorry, I've been watching WC since I got home. Is the replay not automatically in Wexford? Would have presumed it was.

bruschi wrote: »
    one swallow and all that Mountainlad.

I'm still reserving judgement. you may think thats harsh after drawing with the AI champions, but we're still a bit off the pace in Division 2, we were awful against Dublin, a game that realistically should have been there for the taking, and bar todays performance, we havent really beaten any team of note at all. There have been signs and glimpses of improvement, but it needs to be consistent.

Growing up, we'd always go to a game and even if we were underdogs, we'd always say theres usually one performance in them in the season. Its like we're back to that now again, but we need to have more than one performance in a season.

We're far more competitive at underage now too, and only for a last shot wonderpoint in Parnell park, the minors would have drawn with Dublin in the Leinster semi. The 21s are in the final (which now looks like it will be postponed on Wednesday) so the future is looking better. But we're still not there, still a lot to be done.

But I'll enjoy the positives from today. Yes, realistically we should have won, but at the same time, we're coming away from Ennis saying we should have beaten the reigning AI champions.

Some very good young hurlers though, its not like it was all just sheer will and effort from Wexford, for most of the game ye were the better team than us full stop.

Plenty to be excited about for the future but of course as you say consistancy of performance will need to be the next step in this teams development. Based on today Wexford have every chance of having at least another two games in the championship (Although hopefully not from a Clare pov :))

• Advertisement

marco_polo wrote: »
    Some very good young hurlers though, its not like it was all just sheer will and effort from Wexford, for most of the game ye were the better team than us full stop.

Plenty to be excited about for the future but of course as you say consistancy of performance will need to be the next step in this teams development. Based on today Wexford have every chance of having at least another two games in the championship (Although hopefully not from a Clare pov :))

yeah absolutely. some very good players coming through. Conor Mac in particular (and I'd love to know how got his head injury today too)

I probably wouldnt say a lot to be excited about just yet, but its enough to think we should be positive and start making strides again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Cracking game. Will the replay be shown on telly?

Worryingly for Clare, they played like a Division 2 side but Wexford have come on leaps and bounds and have a very bright future ahead. If they continue their progression, their could be a Leinster title in that side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Liam Dunne must be livid with that defender that delayed taking his own free in normal time.:mad: A free that should have dropped into the Clare square was reversed by the referee for time wasting (and rightly so). This led directly to a Clare point and almost immediately a penalty that was ultimately converted.
    Dunne would be well within his rights to give that guy a proper kick in the a##e.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭letowski

Very worrying times for Clare.

Our movement, first touch and striking is so far where it needs to be. Our last 5 games (Galway, Laois, Tipp, Cork, Wex) has seen our performance get progressively worse. Wexford were by far the better team, and in reality should have won the match in normal time comfortably if they showed some bit of composure. McGrath, Pa Kelly and Ryan's frees kept us hanging on but that was it.

I think Wexford have a great chance of beating us next week. If they get their shooting in order, they should have little problem hitting another big score. Clare's blatant naivete in defending teams running at them is even worse than last year, and will sink us this year if it is not in some way rectified or even limited. Cant always play the sweeper.

There just doesn't seem to be that spark and zip we had in our play last year. Its going to be tough for the team to turn this season around as there are so many players out of form. We just need something to ignite or spark for us. Kelly and Bulger had moments but nothing consistent yet.

PS. Conor McGrath is a truly class player, was also delighted for Pa Kelly especially after his blunder for the first goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭letowski

It seems Davy Fitz had a bust up in the tunnel after the match

l[/URL]

And again his father needed to calm things down. He is an excellent manager, but his media work is deplorable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement