Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa Card fraud

Options
  • 02-07-2014 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭

Got a call from PTSB yesterday to say my bank details were stolen more than likely online, she called out transactions to me yesterday evening that weren't mine at all so blocked the card set up a fraud case etc the only thing I'm worried about is when I get my new card how likely is this to happen again? Should I get an answer from this "fraud team" as to how this happened?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

Just out on interest how did you check she was a PTSB employee, did she ask for any card information or anything like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Just out on interest how did you check she was a PTSB employee, did she ask for any card information or anything like that?

Checked the number before I rang it back and it was the PTSB security center number.No card information was asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

fair play to you for checking out the number.

anytime you type out your card number and ccv number online there is a chance of it getting into the wrong hands.

you could run an anti virus on your devices to make sure there are no key loggers installed.

Was onto PTSB today, they're sending me out a declaration letter and some other letter to fill out and send back to them to get my reimbursement.

I then asked will I get an answer from their fraud department as to how this money went missing exactly they told me no you can ask the gards if you want and they can open a criminal investigation.I feel the gards will do nothing about this.Should PTSB not be able to tell me how this happened?

I've lost a lot of confidence in my bank after this and feel like changing, if this were to happen again am I going to get reimbursed again.

Does anyone have any advice or past experience in this case? Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

So your card details get compromised, the bank spots it almost immediately, contacts you and opens a fraud case, tells you you'll get reimbursed for the fraudulent transactions and you've lost faith in them? You actually nuts?

• Advertisement

So your card details get compromised, the bank spots it almost immediately, contacts you and opens a fraud case, tells you you'll get reimbursed for the fraudulent transactions and you've lost faith in them? You actually nuts?

Yeah sorry putting it that it looks nuts I'm just annoyed as to how my details were obtained I thought that they might have been able to tell me after the fraud case.For instance one of the fraudulent transactions was 158 euro on ASOS.com does this not make it easy to catch the person seeing as they must of given an address for the clothes to be delivered too.

The bank were excellent in contacting me straight away I'm just curious as to how this happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Meglamonia wrote: »
    I've lost a lot of confidence in my bank after this and feel like changing,

From what you have already said, it sounds a lot better than similar situations with other banks.

The fraud is not related to the bank, it doesn't matter who you bank with, your card details can still be stolen, the difference is how you protect your details anytime you use the card at pos or online.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Yeah sorry putting it that it looks nuts I'm just annoyed as to how my details were obtained I thought that they might have been able to tell me after the fraud case.For instance one of the fraudulent transactions was 158 euro on ASOS.com does this not make it easy to catch the person seeing as they must of given an address for the clothes to be delivered too.

The bank were excellent in contacting me straight away I'm just curious as to how this happened.

Remember please, that your card details were NOT stolen from your bank, (PTSB) they were most likely stolen from either an online store that YOU used or possible from a virus/malware on YOUR computer.

Their prompt/fast/efficient detection of the fraud will have saved you (eventually) a lot of time/hassle/stress and maybe even money. You might not have noticed the "extra" transactions for months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

For instance one of the fraudulent transactions was 158 euro on ASOS.com does this not make it easy to catch the person seeing as they must of given an address for the clothes to be delivered too.

PTSB won't have that information though, ASOS do and they won't just hand it over (data protection). It genuinely is something you have to pursue through the Gardai, fraud team can't hand anything over to you really

Advertisement