Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My bike is bleeding :(

• 02-07-2014 11:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, need advice. Was driving my bike to the Curragh yesterday on the M7, all was grand while riding until i wanted to change gear.

The clutch was very rigid, but worked when forced, i managed to reach my destination, but there was a lot of oil dripping form the bike and i've left it alone over night.

Anyone know what the problem could be? The chain was a bit more slack than i'd like it to be which may have caused an issue.

Is there any decent mechanics in the Newbridge area i should call? Or should i get my insurer to help with breakdown assistance.

Bike is a Yamaha FZS600, 2001 model.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

Ger in GB Motorcycles is based in the M7 Business Park between Naas & Newbridge, top spanner man, your insurance should recover the bike to his workshop, check your policy to make sure they do home recovery, if not, push it out onto the main road and ring them.

086-8559552 / 045-875879

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

The first thing you need to do is clean up around the oil spill and tell us exactly where it's dripping from. That could help. If you lost a lot of oil the clutch could be trying to work dry, which would be very bad for your bike. Find out how much oil is gone, don't trust what the window says though, the FZS needs to be hot to get an accurate view.

The chain likely had slack before and has nothing to do with this, you just noticed it now that you have another problem.

But still, take off the left hand sprocket cover which also houses the clutch cable mechanism, check if that's in OK order. Clean it up and try operating the clutch again.

But mostly, find that oil leak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,384 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Clutches are easy and cheap enough to replace, I'd be far more worried about what low oil level can do to bearings! even if the oil pressure light never comes on you can do damage. A guy I knew destroyed the crankshaft on a Triumph Daytona because of low oil level.

Scrap the cap!

Advertisement