Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

insured bird.

• 02-07-2014 11:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hi All. I am getting a tad upset about a little bird. Think it's a young blackbird. Its wing seems to be broken. The mother looked for it and fed it yesterday but can't see her today. Please tell me there is something I can do as I feel so sad for it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭happydayz8

Here's a picture

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Keep an eye on it, and try keep any cats or dogs away. Many birds spend some time on the ground when they're fledging and their parents keep an eye on them and feed them, so hopefully that's what this is.

kylith wrote: »
    Keep an eye on it, and try keep any cats or dogs away. Many birds spend some time on the ground when they're fledging and their parents keep an eye on them and feed them, so hopefully that's what this is.

Thanks a mill. I am chasing cats away. The bird is defo injured though. Its right wing is hanging down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

I'd leave it be, blackbird young always leave their nest early and spend a few days on the ground. His wing maybe drooping as it has never really been used yet.

Maybe from this picture you can definitely see it's insured

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Poor you, HARD to look at any animal in trouble.
    Have you seen the mother lately?
    You could dig up a few worms and leave them near the chick. A bit of hard boiled or scrambled egg would work too.
    Leave a container - v.shallow/not easily knocked over - of water near it too
    I think the shock of you picking it up might be considerable, but if you could take it overnight into a dark safe place it would be a good idea - put it in a box with a rag underneath. (Assuming the mother isnt around)

Wasnt there a thread on here just yesterday/v.recently about bringing an injured birds to some rescue?

Well the little thing is still around. Now comes hopping up to me right onto my foot. The csts are trying to get it so I've captured it and will bring it to the vet tomorrow. I have found a sanctuary which would take it after the vet but it's in Sligo and I have twin babies and really can't make the treck. I have been advised to give it cat food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭coathanger

Where abouts are u based?

coathanger wrote: »
    Where abouts are u based?

I am in Raheny. Dublin 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

happydayz8 wrote: »
    Maybe from this picture you can definitely see it's insured

Looks like a young Starling. Did it take any food?

• Advertisement

Knine wrote: »
    Looks like a young Starling. Did it take any food?

Oh really. I was convinced it was a young black bird. So far irs only eaten bread. Gave it some cat food and will check tomorrow if it ate some.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ThePhatMomma

Do you still have the bird?

I brought the little thing to the vet on Saturday. They have a vet in on Tuesday who is a bit of a bird expert abd they kept it for me in their little hospital part. Tuesday will be the deciding day if it can be helped or if it would be kinder to put it to sleep. The vet thought it looked good though so fingers and toes crossed.

I rang the vet this morning to see how it was doing. All they could tell me was that it didn't make it. Besides the insured wing it was fine when we left it there. Son and I are very upset.

Advertisement