Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Embarrassing Gaming Weaknesses

Options
  • 02-07-2014 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I bought an XBox controller for my PC a few months back to play Bastion with (I couldn't get into it.) I broke it out last night to play Grid with and I realised I have never used the triggers properly. I cut my teeth on the Megadrive, never had an N64 and went straight to a PS2 before abandoning consoles for the PC. With most of my time spent on a Megadrive controller it made me realise I never learned to use the analogue aspect of the newer controllers. For me everything is digital: on and off. So I either press the button the whole way, or I don't press it at all. I somehow managed to fuddle through a good deal of Gran Turismo on the PS2 and Forza on my brother's XBox but last night, sitting right in front of my screen on Grid I forced myself to use the triggers properly.

No longer were the long smooth turns on the track causing a problem with acceleration. I could keep the trigger half pressed and gently breeze around them. I didn't have to brake and lose all speed before hand. And I didn't have to power on everything on the exit to gain back speed. Instead I could maintain a solid speed, with a half depressed trigger and ease my way around. It was a revelation! A whole new world of racing possibilities are opening up to me. Now I just have to teach myself to do the same with the analogue sticks and I'll be a racing genius!

So what embarrassing gaming weaknesses have you overcome or do you still face?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

My embarrassing weakness? I am playing video games for the last 20 years and I am still **** at them. Last night I decided to play some Cod Ghost on PS4. I was dominated and ass slaped by 10 year olds. All of them rank 60 with some skull emblems and I am rank 28 ( I got game since launch :pac: ).

Tl:DR After 20 years of gaming I am still **** at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

My embarrassing weakness? I am playing video games for the last 20 years and I am still **** at them.

This, for me in a nutshell! :pac:

If I can blame it on ageing or delayed reaction as a result I would, but I'm just terrible.

My cryptonite is third person action shooters. I had to rage (emphasis on rage!) quit Revengeance and Bayonetta. Although I'm having a great time playing Vanquish at the mo. I was grand with Tomb Raider...and finally finished Resi 4 there the other week (pats self on back).

Don't get me started on Dark Souls! Even the tutorial area has me filling up the swear jar.

Any first person online shooters too. Tried my hand at Battlefield 3. Would literally run a few game-yards and get sniped. Rinse, repeat, rage quit.

My first 'system' was a game boy (original), then graduated to a game gear (oh the amount of batteries that went through!). On to a megadrive (AGH! more buttons!). Next was a ps1...then the dual shock came out with the analogues. Got used to that, but controls in fighting games have my fingers in knots too. Can't execute them...so resort to being a button basher (hangs head in shame).

Was good at Tetris though....So there's that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,547 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

My embarrassing weakness? I am playing video games for the last 20 years and I am still **** at them. Last night I decided to play some Cod Ghost on PS4. I was dominated and ass slaped by 10 year olds. All of them rank 60 with some skull emblems and I am rank 28 ( I got game since launch :pac: ).

Tl:DR After 20 years of gaming I am still **** at it.

That was probably me ass slapping you :P altho Ghosts and COD in general is not a good enough test, Im horrific at it but give me battlefield and your ass would be more than slapped all over the place :P

jonny24ie wrote: »
    give me battlefield and your ass would be more than slapped all over the place :P

14459-nathan-fillion-speechless-gif-egov.gif?w=350&h=197

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I buy far too many games,I rarely finish games and I haven't gotten a platinum trophy :'(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I haven't gotten a platinum trophy :'(

Don't worry, never ONCE has anyone ever clicked through the appropriate amount of PS menus to see your trophies ;)

I buy far too many games,I rarely finish games and I haven't gotten a platinum trophy :'(

Used to do that, but I changed to "right I'm going to play this to death until I finish it and move on to the next one". By that time the new release has come down in price.

Also, I 'get' trophies (why they exist that is) but I don't get the mindset that you haven't experienced or fully completed a game until you've gotten them all a little backwards. Like a gaming status symbol.

I think developers make achievements up just so you spend hours for that notification (or personal gratification).

• Registered Users Posts: 29,069 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

As others have said, alsthough I've played for years, I'm still not great at games. I start all games on medium difficulty and still find it hard enough for me.

Another is shoulder buttons. I could never pull off the combos in Killer Instinct on SNES because I could never hite the shoulder buttons quick enough and now I have a habit of just keeping my fingers rested on the triggers as opposed to having 2 fingers at each of the shoulders for both trigger and bumper.

Another weakness/annoyance is clicking the analog sticks accidentally. So I could be trying to run from something and suddenly the cahracter decides it's a good time to crouch or stop and reload.

Of course these things could be the reason I'm not great at games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Slide puzzles drive me mad, I'm never any use with them. I'm normally very good with logic problems but damn slide puzzles always get the better of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

I think I have everyone above problems all rolled into one!

I buy way too many, finish no where near enough and after playing games for 20 years im still useless!

I was good for finishing games when I was younger but now I dont seem to have the time / patience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Loosing contact with flight simmer societies by not renewing my contract subscription my own procrasination. Fool me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,566 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I love RTS games, but I'm terrible with them. Actually, any game that requires a lot of thinking and strategy on the go makes me feel utterly thick. I can die and realise what went wrong and how to adjust it, but I end up doing the exact same thing again and again.
    CastorTroy wrote: »
    Another weakness/annoyance is clicking the analog sticks accidentally. So I could be trying to run from something and suddenly the cahracter decides it's a good time to crouch or stop and reload.

Reminds me of this gem:

• I love RTS games, but I'm terrible with them. Actually, any game that requires a lot of thinking and strategy on the go makes me feel utterly thick. I can die and realise what went wrong and how to adjust it, but I end up doing the exact same thing again and again.

Reminds me of this gem:

Can't watch it atm but I presume it's the one about MGS?

Loved that bit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Last night I decided to play some Cod Ghost on PS4. I was dominated and ass slaped by 10 year olds.

My neighbours kid is 9 and is always saying how good he is on the xbox in FPS'

I cracked out COD:MW2 and smashed him 18:2. I took way to much pleasure in beating a kid one third my age.

Though I did pretend I never played the game before just to put him off his "A" game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

If I can't invert the y-axis in shooters I end up pointing in the air and twirling in circles until I die. I don't know why I can't just do it the normal way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

I'm awful at online gaming. Up until around 2005 I always thought I was decent enough at games. Now I know the truth.

• COYVB wrote: »
    I'm awful at online gaming. Up until around 2005 I always thought I was decent enough at games. Now I know the truth.

I used to be pretty good at CS 1.5 / CSS

Tried CS Go recently and got flaked repeatedly :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Vojera wrote: »
    If I can't invert the y-axis in shooters I end up pointing in the air and twirling in circles until I die. I don't know why I can't just do it the normal way.

That not embarrassing that's just you needing to have proper controls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

It is embarrassing when you're playing with your friends and swapping controller every time you die and end up looking like you've got some sort of equilibrium disorder :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have far far too many, a games room packed to the rafters with consoles and titles and, it seems, decreasing amounts of time to play them :(
    And no time to get good at any of them.
    I'm lucky most modern titles are short, it's the only way I saw the end if TLOU or Tearaway.
    And I love racing games, but if I'm playing after 11pm I doze off, only waking with the car lodged in a tree and the lap counter reading 1hr +

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'm also crap at multiplayer shooters,I always get shot straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

zero19 wrote: »
    Slide puzzles drive me mad, I'm never any use with them. I'm normally very good with logic problems but damn slide puzzles always get the better of me.

Windwaker HD getting you down? :pac:

• zero19 wrote: »
    ^^Reminds me of...
    The puzzles in Uncharted 3 pissed me off rightly. Done my nut in having to constantly open Drakes notebook for reference and then forget what I was supposed to memorise :o:o

Inverted Y IS proper controls.

Actually one thing I can nail down that I'm dreadful at is awareness in online FPS games. Every single time I sprint blindly around corners, see someone and by the time I pull the trigger I've been shot in the face. I have no idea how people see the things they do as quick as they do in shooters. I'm going to put that down to being an old man with the reactions of a dead sloth though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I'm a total confidence player. If I'm on a winning streak I feel invincible and I believe I'm the best. If I go on a losing streak however I end up thinking that I'm the worst player in the World and I end up getting mad at myself.

Also my reflexes ain't what they used to be. When I was in my teens I could pull off jumps and moves that I couldn't possibly do now due to my 34 year old codger reactions. And also I find games are doing my nut in a lot more now than they did when I was younger and I'm spending less and less time on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

I don't know if you'd call it embarrassing but it can be annoying sometimes when you have to admit to yourself that you've reached the limit of your ability in a game, there's an achievement in Metal Gear Rising that requires you to get all S rankings in every fight in the game on the hardest difficulty setting, I will never get that achievement because I will never be good enough to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,644 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I love fighting games. Absolutely no good at them. Can't use the fightstick joypad things, can only use actual controller. Can't remember most moves, just rely on common inputs, (back, back, square is usually a pretty good move). Other than that, I pretty much just button mash or learn one or two combos for a character and hope for the best.

Have played no more than 10 games online, and got embarrassingly crushed in each one.

It once took me over 40 tries to beat Heihachi as Julia Chang in Tekken 4. Heihachi! Other Tekken games, you fight the Devil, or huge monsters, or ancient gods as the final boss. Heihachi was wearing a sumo nappy and it took me over 40 tries to beat him.

The level of proper online players is a level I'll never get near.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't like gamepads, I'm constantly trying to use the gamepad so I can sit back and use the big screen like all these consolers keep raving on about but it's just like smashing my fingers with a hammer. I think I'm just too old to relearn a control system. It's so bad I'm wondering if there's lag on the xbox controller. Keyboard and mouse is just so much more responsive but it's pretty difficult to do that on the big screen too. Sitting at a desk with a keyboard and mouse is just a much more productive way of gaming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I'm rubbish at anything that requires one billion clicks per second or constant movement or actions. Online gaming is just never going to happen for me, I will never be able to compete with these guys that zip around the screen like lightening or build a base in about 30 seconds. Tried playing Company of Heroes online once, barely got a few units out before the other guy had surrounded my base and was lobbing mortars at me.

The thing is, I don't want to be any good at it, that type of play is just not enjoyable as far as I'm concerned. If I'm playing an RTS I just want to turtle away, building castles or massive armies before unleashing hell on the enemy at my own pace. Thats relaxing to me, not frantically clicking the mouse button every 0.5 seconds and playing the whole game via the map.

Advertisement