Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Embarrassing Gaming Weaknesses

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Couldn't get passed the first level of the original tomb raider.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭House of Blaze

I used to be great at games..

Then I took an arrow in the knee...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The Killcam in Call of Duty is probably the main reason I can't be arsed with most online games.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't like gamepads, I'm constantly trying to use the gamepad so I can sit back and use the big screen like all these consolers keep raving on about but it's just like smashing my fingers with a hammer. I think I'm just too old to relearn a control system. It's so bad I'm wondering if there's lag on the xbox controller. Keyboard and mouse is just so much more responsive but it's pretty difficult to do that on the big screen too. Sitting at a desk with a keyboard and mouse is just a much more productive way of gaming.

For certain games I totally agree, FPS, RTS or anything involving really quick repsonse or multiple tasks it's a a no brainer that kb&m is a superior way to play. I couldnt imagine playing platformers or 3rd person action games on kb and mouse though just feels unnatural to me.

I think a lot of that comes from how your gaming progressed though, I grew up on arcades and consoles didnt get a gaming pc until around 1999 and gamed on that until around 2006 or so I guess when I didnt bother upgrading anymore and just phased out using a desktop. That was more of a space issue than anything else and at the time I wasn't too pushed about pc titles that I couldnt already get on a console, graphical superiority aside. I definitely will invest in a desktop again at some stage cos I hate missing out on so many good Steam titles these days.

Gaming weaknesses? I suck at newer fighting games, can still pick up a pad and play something like Street Fighter 2 not a bother, but the new ones like the MVC games or SFIV are just too chaotic. I have BlazBlue on my vita and good jesus it's complicated, the tutorials go on for ages and by the time I've finished them I've forgotten the instructions and just bash the buttons and look at the pretty graphics.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

This
    30hrnfm.jpg
    Gaming weaknesses? I suck at newer fighting games, can still pick up a pad and play something like Street Fighter 2 not a bother, but the new ones like the MVC games or SFIV are just too chaotic.

The funny thing is SF 4 is easier to play than SF 2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

My weakness is .... achievements :o

They don;t actually stop me playing and enjoying games like they do for some quiet the opposite in my case which is probably worse considering some of the ones I've chased and rubbish games I've endured in their pursuit.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

calex71 wrote: »
    My weakness is .... achievements :o

They don;t actually stop me playing and enjoying games like they do for some quiet the opposite in my case which is probably worse considering some of the ones I've chased and rubbish games I've endured in their pursuit.

Your not alone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I can't play horror games. I never completed silent hill, never even tried Resident Evil, Outlast scared the bejesus out of me. And I am unable to enjoy the games at all. I prefer being an overpowered behemoth.

I also suck at FPS games, regardless of the fact I've been playing them for years :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Always and forever (except for that one day I managed to beat them):

asho-spinners.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Games that are geared towards stealth.

I liken my experiences to trying to walk across a narrow wooden beam at an adventure park or similar. Start off patient taking it step by step, bit by bit. All is going well. The end is in sight; then my heart skips a beat, I panic and sprint the last three meters, falling just before the finish into the piss stenched muck of Clara Lara.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,069 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Trying to remember the buttons is another weakness. Especially since I play PS3, Wii U and PC(using 360 controller). So when I see "Press X", is that on the bottom, left or top? Why couldn't 360 have put the buttons in their correct places to help out? :)

And I agree on the Y-axis. Invert is the correct way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Just on COD games, I remember I was useless at MW2 and MW3. I used to watch a lot of SandyRavage and be amazed at the ease he used to get nukes so effortlessly. Whenever I used to play I would get absolutely mauled no matter what I did.

I remember one day though searching to see if there were any good PC players (I used to play COD on PC) because it became totally obvious that it was just Sandy was just playing XBOX and they were all noobs *ahem* :p. Anyway came across one PC player (Raimpstage) who just explained everything he did to an understandable level. I have the most influential video below and to me it was absolutely mind blowing and all of a sudden I changed my style to follow his advice and I suddenly jumped from finishing near the bottom of the table after every match to finishing top 4 on a consistent basis. I still play this way now in other games and it does help immensely.

However, I still have not been completely fix my biggest weakness of raging when someone kills me (usually a camper), going back to the same spot to get revenge and letting them kill me over and over and ever again until they start getting killstreaks just from killing me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW6DdCCR4Jg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

I now nearly play every game on easy. I try and justify it by telling myself I'm trying to finish games in my backlog and playing on easy is the quickest way but really its because I like to feel overpowered and invincible and any level other then easy usually brings me back down to earth!

I've also started using trainers in some games (usually RPGs) as the combat gets too tedious for me when I'm actually just trying to just enjoy the story. It also saves the hassle of trying to find every little secret to level up my character though is usually make me a tad overpowered!

There are some games though I can enjoy for what they are and even raise the difficulty as I enjoy the challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I now nearly play every game on easy.

I tend to play games on easy just to enjoy playing the story, then ramp it up after if I fancy a 2nd play through

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭tim3000

I tend not to play more than one game at a time, for instance I have sank near 400 hours into BF4 and all the while Far Cry sits on my shelf unplayed. Another weakness is my reluctance to play new types of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭briany

Online gaming - Never really could get to grips with it. The Internet's always there to remind us that, no matter the skill, there's almost always somebody out there who's a half your age and a hundred times better at it than you.

I used to play Tiger Woods 2010 on the Wii. The online leaderboards for that thing were insane. You'd have people scoring -30 for a single round, or maybe more. Even though the people getting these scores were either cheating or had some kind Asperger's thing going on, you can't help but feel pretty damned inadequate in comparison. Time was that you were pretty happy to be defending the much coveted title of 'Champion of the World (house)" in PGA Tour Golf 3 or something against your brother/best friend, blissfully unaware of the talent that the world outside of your own cul-de-sac held.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Lyaiera wrote: »
    I bought an XBox controller for my PC a few months back to play Bastion with (I couldn't get into it.) I broke it out last night to play Grid with and I realised I have never used the triggers properly. I cut my teeth on the Megadrive, never had an N64 and went straight to a PS2 before abandoning consoles for the PC. With most of my time spent on a Megadrive controller it made me realise I never learned to use the analogue aspect of the newer controllers. For me everything is digital: on and off. So I either press the button the whole way, or I don't press it at all. I somehow managed to fuddle through a good deal of Gran Turismo on the PS2 and Forza on my brother's XBox but last night, sitting right in front of my screen on Grid I forced myself to use the triggers properly.

No longer were the long smooth turns on the track causing a problem with acceleration. I could keep the trigger half pressed and gently breeze around them. I didn't have to brake and lose all speed before hand. And I didn't have to power on everything on the exit to gain back speed. Instead I could maintain a solid speed, with a half depressed trigger and ease my way around. It was a revelation! A whole new world of racing possibilities are opening up to me. Now I just have to teach myself to do the same with the analogue sticks and I'll be a racing genius!

So what embarrassing gaming weaknesses have you overcome or do you still face?

Mac fly? Mac fly? Anybody home.

My gaming weakness would be not getting enough people to press alt F4.

Dark souls, I just could not walk by a character without hitting them.even at level 1. Hours getting destroyed over and over. Never learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

My weakness is I like to play loads of different games at a time and never really get into one:( Not since wow have I put 100s of hours into a game. Apparent from maybe FIFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

My weakness is I like to play loads of different games at a time and never really get into one:( Not since wow have I put 100s of hours into a game. Apparent from maybe FIFA.

Actually thats me too. I cant play any game longer then 1-2h. I always have to play something else. now and then I get games like Rust though, where I play it pretty much 17h in one day! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Actually thats me too. I cant play any game longer then 1-2h. I always have to play something else. now and then I get games like Rust though, where I play it pretty much 17h in one day! :pac:

So in other words, if a game has lots of penis on display you become an addict ????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Magill wrote: »
    So in other words, if a game has lots of penis on display you become an addict ????

Yup, you can never say No to a little bit of cock! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,566 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

tim3000 wrote: »
    I tend not to play more than one game at a time, for instance I have sank near 400 hours into BF4 and all the while Far Cry sits on my shelf unplayed. Another weakness is my reluctance to play new types of games.
    Me too. Bought a few games in the steam xmas sale (and many more in the summer) but have sunk 500+ hours into Dota2 while hardly touching anything else. Played WoW consistently until last year and missed out on tons of great game releases because all my gaming time was focused on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Yup, you can never say No to a little bit of cock! :pac:

Tell that to my girlfriend:(

• Tell that to my girlfriend:(
    :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭Wossack

I buy and play tonnes and tonnes of games - but very rarely finish any. I often get totally immersed in a game, and play it back to back for weeks, but one day I just seem to forget about it, drop it entirely and play something else.

At one stage I was creating shortcuts to whatever Im currently playing on my desktop in an attempt to try and see a couple out. But the desktop became a wall of shame as my bizarre condition was laid out for all to see :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

My four year old nephew can beat me at street fighter 4 :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I have the same problem

I suck at playing FIFA online :(

• I have the same problem

I suck at playing FIFA online :(

I remember I used to think I was class at Pro Evo 4 back in College.

Entered a student competition. Got hammered 4-0 in the first round :o:o:o

The guy I played just pressed start. Everyone waiting around in the pub for around 5 minutes for me to set up formations and tactics. Still got hammered 4-0 :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

My weakness is i absolutely love games like CoH 1&2, World In Conflict, C&C, have loads of them but im afraid to play them because i get addicted to them lol, so i buy them and rarely play them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

One gaming weakness that has to be right up there for me is COD.
    Walk 2 yards, Sniped, Respawn, Walk another 2 yards it'll be grand this time, Sniped, RAGE!!! Damn it!!

Thank god for Halo is all I can say. I've even managed to win a few online games of Halo. I just find it much more like games of old, dont know why.

Gaming weakness number one has to be my lack of patience. I dont know is it because I have less and less time these days but if I cant figure out a puzzle or get by a certain point in a game I'll try it a few times and then just look it up on youtube. I know a lot of people will disagree with this but if I didnt do it I'd never complete or get close to completing most games. Playing Zelda Windwaker at the minute. I've had to stop on at least 3 occassions now to look up why I cant progress. Ususally something silly like where to throw the stick on fire from or cut a rope to get to a lower platform etc..

I play all games on easy by the way. I havent played dark souls and dont intend to. I'm sure its amazing but it would depress me by the sounds of it.

Being generally rubbish at games is very embarrasing when you have the lads over, they see this big library of games and machines and think you have to be amazing at games only to be completely throttled by said drunken mates at games you thought you were even half decent at.

Oh yeah meant to say as well if you dont invert for your FPS of choice I dont like you. I blame Duke Nukem. I played that inverted for some reason and since then I cant play any other way!

Advertisement