Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Central Vaccum System & Airtightness

Options
  • 02-07-2014 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭

I'm installing a central vaccum system and just met today with the sales rep to mark the socket positions on the wall where the ductwork will appear (where the hose will connect into).

Anyway he is proposing to have the unit itself based in an outside garage. I'm a bit concerned however that this presents an air tightness issues around these sockets.

From an airtightness position would the unit be better placed inside the building envelope, e.g. utility room? Other than saving some wall space, are there any practical reasons for having it in the gargage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭liveandnetural

put unit it in the garage from a cleaning noise and dust point of view

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

put unit it in the garage from a cleaning noise and dust point of view

Are you talking about dust that comes from the unit during normal functioning or just on cleaning out?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭liveandnetural

both i had mine in the utlity room then moved it to the garage (which was finished 6 months later) far better job

both i had mine in the utlity room then moved it to the garage (which was finished 6 months later) far better job

In what way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Technophobe

I have mine in a press in utility room and no issues with dust...noise is loud enough but doesn't be on too long anyways

• Advertisement

I have mine in a press in utility room and no issues with dust...noise is loud enough but doesn't be on too long anyways

Is it as loud as a normal vaccum cleaner?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

BarneyMc wrote: »
    Is it as loud as a normal vaccum cleaner?

Louder. It's a much more powerful unit. Mine's in the garage.
    Even if you have it in the house you still have to plumb it's exhaust externally.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    Louder. It's a much more powerful unit. Mine's in the garage.
    Even if you have it in the house you still have to plumb it's exhaust externally.

Do you have any air tightness issues at the wall sockets, i.e. air leaking out from the duct through the sockets?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

Brian you shouldn't have an issue with air leakage if the unit is inside the house and it's inside the Airtightness layer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I have mine in a small cabinet under the stairs, makes it a bit harder to empty it but the bowl is huge so you don't need to do it that often. It's loud and very powerful.
    galwaytt what exhaust? I don't have anything.

• Advertisement

hexosan wrote: »
    Brian you shouldn't have an issue with air leakage if the unit is inside the house and it's inside the Airtightness layer.

Yes but if the unit is in an outside garage then it could be a different story?

Once the pipe is properly sealed from the garage until it enters the house then is shouldn't cause great issue. I believe the beam units are airtight even with the exhaust pipe venting outside.
    What unit are you using.

Once the pipe is properly sealed from the garage until it enters the house then is shouldn't cause great issue. I believe the beam units are airtight even with the exhaust pipe venting outside.
    What unit are you using.

That's what I want to hear! I didn't realise there was an exhaust pipe but will check with the Beam sales rep now.

Just off the phone with the Beam sales rep and he assured me the system was completely sealed and has to be to function properly. At the wall points a flap with rubber seal provides extra protection :p

If placed in the utility then an exhaust pipe must be brought through the wall to the outside. If in the garage then this is not needed. It would be good to not have to have this exhaust pipe going through the utility wall.

This seems to suggest the garage is the best place for the unit. There's also the other pluses:

noise reduction/elimination
    freed up utility space
    cleaner (when opening the unit)
    can use to clean the car in the garage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

Looking at the Beam also so it would be good to hear if there is an exhaust pipe needed.

Will putting it in the garage lessen power ?

Anyone have any pictures of this plumbed; Do I need to chase the walls for the pipe work ?

Looking at the Beam also so it would be good to hear if there is an exhaust pipe needed.

Will putting it in the garage lessen power ?

Anyone have any pictures of this plumbed; Do I need to chase the walls for the pipe work ?

An exhaust pipe is needed if the unit is placed inside the house - just confirmed with the sales rep. It's obviously not needed if placed in the garage.

In theory I suppose the power is lessened but I'd imagine it's miniscule.

Wall chasing is very limited and the ductwork travels across the floor at insulation level. I am getting my walls chased next week so can post photos.

An exhaust pipe is needed if the unit is placed inside the house - just confirmed with the sales rep. It's obviously not needed if placed in the garage.

Wall chasing is very limited and the ductwork travels across the floor at insulation level. I am getting my walls chased next week so can post photos.

I had mine chased last week and did'nt think of this.. hopefully tis only 2 or 3 points i can manage myself.

The vac pipes are buried in the insulation under the screed they usually use a wall chaser to slice the insulation to accommodate the pipes. The pipe only comes a few inches up the wall to the height of the outlet connection. There's a small electrical wire ran with this pipe.

Putting the unit in the garage will lessen the power on some of the smaller units.

The issue people make with the noise is pointless because do they think using a normal Hoover is completely silent of course they are both going to make noise when in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Without a doubt go for shed/garage. Mine is like a jet taking off.

Pataman wrote: »
    Without a doubt go for shed/garage. Mine is like a jet taking off.

Which make/model unit are you using?

• Advertisement

The vac pipes are buried in the insulation under the screed they usually use a wall chaser to slice the insulation to accommodate the pipes. The pipe only comes a few inches up the wall to the height of the outlet connection. There's a small electrical wire ran with this pipe.

Putting the unit in the garage will lessen the power on some of the smaller units.

The issue people make with the noise is pointless because do they think using a normal Hoover is completely silent of course they are both going to make noise when in use.

Have you heard one of these built-in ones working ? It's a lot louder than a Hoover - a Hoover has to meet certain reguations dB wise. A built in one not so.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Incorrect - it needs venting to outdoors irrespective of location.

Ode To The Motorist

galwaytt wrote: »
    Incorrect - it needs venting to outdoors irrespective of location.

Not according to the sales rep but can be easily done out in the garage if need be.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭manufan16

I installed a beam unit in my house in my utility/plant room.

It is not vented outside and came with a muffler that I attached to it that reduces the sound while it is on in the house.

Hoovering the kitchen 2 doors away from the unit - it can be heard slightly but not enough to annoy me.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 RossyR

Just started new build and thinking of installing central unit.
    Any advice on the different makes out there?

Was wondering about a DIY job or would this save much?

Lastly i friend but in one (a no. of yrs ago) and he just used ordinary waste pipe.
    He then purchased adaptors to connect to the wall units.
    Anyone know if this can still be done.

Planning on putting unit in garage.

Tks in advance

Advertisement