Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Led light with hair dryer and Inline fuse question.

Options
  • 02-07-2014 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hey.
    I want a small led light to come on when I plug in a hair dryer, hair straightener etc.
    I was thinking a 20amp switch first, a socket from that, and also the led from the switch. And an inline fuse on the cable to the led. It's a 4w light. Was thinking a 3amp fuse. My electrical provider nearby doesn't stock the inline fuse, but they recommended the motor factors.
    Do people agree or have any alternatives?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

What do you want the led for ? Is it light up the area or just alert you when something is plugged in, just in case you forget to unplug it

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Johnnyq79

Luckysasha wrote: »
    What do you want the led for ? Is it light up the area or just alert you when something is plugged in, just in case you forget to unplug it

Hey. It's for both really. It will look good lit up, and also act as a reminder.

Simple solution. Get a 2 gang Unswitched extension lead. Plug it in to your existing switched socket. Plug the led light in to one of the sockets on the extension lead. Use the other socket on the extension lead for straightners or dryer etc. Now whenever you switch the switched socket on the led light will come on and the second socket will be live ready for whatever you want to plug in.

Simple solution. Get a 2 gang Unswitched extension lead. Plug it in to your existing switched socket. Plug the led light in to one of the sockets on the extension lead. Use the other socket on the extension lead for straightners or dryer etc. Now whenever you switch the switched socket on the led light will come on and the second socket will be live ready for whatever you want to plug in.

Couple of problems with that. The led light has no plug just the live and neutral wire coming out of it. Also, it's in a wardrobe where space is tight, no room for what is 3 sockets. And I just wanted 1 plug so there would be only one place to plug things in.

Ahhh it's for a wardrobe I get you now. I have the same set up in my house for herself and all her accessories. I have a socket in the wardrobe but the live is broke through a door switch similar to a fridge. So in effect when I open the door the light comes on and the socket becomes live. You can get door switches handy enough online. The circuit is as follows,
    A 2.5 mm2 T&E from socket ring main in the bedroom feeding in to a single socket in the wardrobe. From the socket box I have a 2 core flex going to the door switch. (Live in / live out) and then another 2 core flex to the light (live and neutral).

• Advertisement

Ahhh it's for a wardrobe I get you now. I have the same set up in my house for herself and all her accessories. I have a socket in the wardrobe but the live is broke through a door switch similar to a fridge. So in effect when I open the door the light comes on and the socket becomes live. You can get door switches handy enough online. The circuit is as follows,
    A 2.5 mm2 T&E from socket ring main in the bedroom feeding in to a single socket in the wardrobe. From the socket box I have a 2 core flex going to the door switch. (Live in / live out) and then another 2 core flex to the light (live and neutral).

I get what your saying but I'm not looking to turn on the light every time the sliding door gets opened. It's only in the corner of the wardrobe. I've actually put it in today as I initially stated. It's working fine. The only thing I don't have an inline fuse. The switch is a 20amp switch and the led light is wired directly into the load of the switch. I'm just concerned that I need a smaller fuse before the led.
    I called into the motor factors today and they have a 3amp inline fuse for a 12v car electric circuit. So you think I could cut the live wife between the led and switch and put the fuse there. Would it work, be safe and not trip?

No car electrics and house hold electrics shouldn't be mixed up. If you want an in line fuse go on to radionics.ie they will have one.

No car electrics and house hold electrics shouldn't be mixed up. If you want an in line fuse go on to radionics.ie they will have one.

Thanks. I'll try them tomorrow

Johnnyq79 wrote: »
    Thanks. I'll try them tomorrow

Hey. Ordered those parts yesterday. Should he home today before me. There technical help was really good too. Thanks for that referrell. I'll post a picture when it's finished. Oh still waiting for the chrome plates too.

Advertisement