Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

24 month contracts the norm now?

Options
  • 02-07-2014 1:57pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was just on to a friend in 02 and he said they are only doing 24 month contracts now. You can get an 18 month but you have to pay way more for the phone. Is this the standard now? I spend a lot but I also like the upgrade my phone once a year. This sucks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

It would appear like that alright. I think that it is awful, but they are all at it, if it includes a mobile. The networks are experiencing fierce competition, so they want to lock you in and pay for the phone, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

you can get an 18 month contract and pay more for the phone, just like you can get a 12 month and pay more.

nothing has changed there, except maybe the prices they are offering to entice 2 year contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Oonagh123

I find it works out cheaper to buy the handset outright. I used to be paying £45 pm for my iphone 4. When i went sim only with the same minutes, data etc, i got it for £20 pm, so i was paying £25 pm for my phone.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

RFOLEY1990 wrote: »
    you can get an 18 month contract and pay more for the phone, just like you can get a 12 month and pay more.

nothing has changed there, except maybe the prices they are offering to entice 2 year contracts.

Things have changed. One year ago ago I got a HTC One M7 for €150 on a 12 month contract. Now I want the HTC One M8 and they want €99 for a 24 month contact, €349 for a 18 month, or €429 for a 12 month. One the same fairly high tarif. They are forcing people into longer contracts due to increased competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭rh5555

That's pretty big coincidence. Just checked today as my Meteor contract runs out next week I asked them how much a new phone is staying with my 12month contract and they said 450euro compared to the 299e previous years.

Not going for that. In my case not too much difference between gs4 and gs5 anyway in my opinion. May just go on pay as you go or just purchase phone outright.

I have 200 min / 200 texts per month and I probably use 10min/10texts per month if not less. Using some data though but the 1gig definitely covers it for now.

But yeah the longer contract trend seems to apply for all providers then not just meteor.

P.S. One more thing. I read that EU wants to get rid of all roaming fees which means you could actually enter in a contract in a completely different country such as the U.K where they seem to have some amazing deals. I am not 100% sure if that will also apply for data but their could be some major competition on the horizon not limited to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Zascar wrote: »
    Things have changed. One year ago ago I got a HTC One M7 for €150 on a 12 month contract. Now I want the HTC One M8 and they want €99 for a 24 month contact, €349 for a 18 month, or €429 for a 12 month. One the same fairly high tarif. They are forcing people into longer contracts due to increased competition.

Actually it's also a popularity and security thing. The HTC one wasn't pegged to be a big seller last year, so it went cheaper on the shorter contracts, I got one for €199 on a 6 month contract from O2 last September. The M8 is a better known and more appealing device with a higher chance of fraud, so they charge more for it.

But yes, all networks except O2 only do 24 month contracts for smartphones. Obviously the shorter contracts will mean a phone coats more.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Zascar wrote: »

http://www.amazon.de/gp/offer-listing/B00IKIZI10/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1404425157&sr=8-1&keywords=One+M8&condition=new

€535 + Sim Only Tarrif(Pick one with the same allowances as your current one) x 18

and compare with

€350 + Current tariff x 18

Usually you'll find the first option is cheaper by a fair bit, and no huge obligations. Can even go PAYG.

Personally Im waiting on a Find 7, that cost €430 sim free (same spec as an LG G3). Then I pay €20/mo PAYG to three for AYCE data, free texts, free weekend calls and free three to three calls. €20 is there as credit when I need to make non free calls. Over 18 months thats a total cost of €790. Not a bad deal imo.

Advertisement