Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabra?

Options
  • 02-07-2014 2:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭

Hey all
    Live in Phibsborough over two years now and although there's defo a few heads knocking around the town most days have never had a safety issue or witnessed any public order offenses etc.
    Thinking of looking at a house in Cabra however it's off Fassaugh Avenue and before walking up to have a look around etc has anyone here lived there? Not to be snooty or anything but if it's a notorious dive, full of scumbags etc would really like to know. I grew up in a dodgy enough area so I'm cool but the other half is out and out D4 ;-)

EDIT: Yeah there's no way to get around the snootiness of this is there. Sorry if the post comes across as horrifically snobby.

Comments

My friend lives a stone's throw of Fassaugh Ave and from my experience of visiting, it's very quiet, and very nice. But his is the only road I do know in Cabra.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

Cabra is fine by me, it is close enough to town, fassaugh ave is close enough to Broombridge rail station if yer going to the IFSC
    As a cyclist it is close to the cycle to town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

I moved to Cabra ten years ago from Stoneybatter. i find it generally quiet and hassle free. Up at the shops in Fassaugh Ave you can get groups of youths hanging around but no serious trouble - they dont hassle or bother you if you dont hassle them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ire.masi

Hi Red Hare,
    sorry to bother you still about this topic, but me and my friends are two foreign girls thinking to rent rooms from a host family near Ventry Park. We are a bit worried because, even tough when we went to view the rooms we didn't mind the area at all, lots of people told us to avoid it. What should we be on the lookout for if we chose to get the rooms?
    Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,205 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

ire.masi wrote: »
    Hi Red Hare,
    sorry to bother you still about this topic, but me and my friends are two foreign girls thinking to rent rooms from a host family near Ventry Park. We are a bit worried because, even tough when we went to view the rooms we didn't mind the area at all, lots of people told us to avoid it. What should we be on the lookout for if we chose to get the rooms?
    Thanks

Some people in Dublin like to say that some areas - almost always areas they do not live in, nor ever have lived in - are 'bad' areas or dangerous.
    Astonishingly enough, thousands of people actually live in these 'bad, dangerous' areas and have no trouble at all. Ventry Park is fine, close to town and with plenty of buses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 ire.masi

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, we get that. We walked back to the city centre and we tought the area was nice and quiet, lots of old people and children. It's just that later during the day we met a couple of people who claim to have lived there and said to avoid it. Not being from around here the only thing we can do is ask around.

If you don't mind, could I ask what other buses get there apart from the 120?
    Thanks a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

The 122 goes to/ from Faussagh Avenue - about 5 minutes walk from Ventry Park.

Also the commuter train goes from Broombridge station ( 5 minute walk in the other direction) to Connolly station quite frequently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭cat_dog

It hasn't got the best reputation its a pretty rough area. Thats just what I heard...

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭irish gent

I'm from Cabra all my life and it's fine place never any problems ..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

cat_dog wrote: »
    It hasn't got the best reputation its a pretty rough area. Thats just what I heard...

Janey mackers could you have any less information to base an opinion on than that.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Janey mackers could you have any less information to base an opinion on than that.....

Janey mackers, haven't heard that in ages, lol thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭thomur

ire.masi wrote: »
    Hi Red Hare,
    Thanks

Look, when you live in an area where there are probably 10k people in every square mile vs 100 in the country, you will always hear bad stories as people are more concentrated. I've lived in Cabra for 45 years and never had any major problems(Burgled once). You have shops, buses, close to town etc. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 No bias or BS

Ive lived here in Cabra for decades and seen many changes of all types. at the moment its fine and just makes the odd over exaggerated headline, not that i read newspapers i know for sure just how much lies are in them etc. like many areas it has its small share of little yobs (wanne be hard men) and with the closure of an area i wont mention the council added a few more here and elsewhere close to the city.
    But to live here quietly its SIMPLE!!! , at night take a route where dickheads dont hang about, tho most times they wont even bother you, if you dont like the shops where twats hang out, use one where they dont!! if ya want an enjoyable pint, 2 of the pubs in particular are respectable and ran well all round, 1 other has closed down, another is letting itself go a bit and the other is the bottom feeders local, always has been, (a plus lol!) , walk into em and you should be able to figure out which you like , theres also another i guess youd class as neutral , apart from that theres many near enough by too. the railway station gets anti social because this is SLAP ON THE WRIST ireland, and theres no real security but if it was a Ghetto dyou think the massive LUAS works would be going up there.

Advertisement