Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

child fights sleep every nite

Options
  • 02-07-2014 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm sure this topic has been on before so bear with me.

We created a monster in so far as when he came home from hospital we brought him into our bed(he had been holles st for 16 weeks, born 13 weeks early!) Over the last couple of months we have introduced "his room" as part of the daily routine, getting dressed, playing, etc. When he goes to sleep we bring him into his room, but he will wake and come into our room, trying to get him back into his own room is a non runner.

Do we let him just go back to sleep with us & bring him back into his own room or fight to keep him in there when he wakes?

Please help a very tired parent!!!:eek:

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 14,036 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

You will have people tell you persevere. You will have people tell you you should co-sleep... What you SHOULD do, is do what is right for you and your family. We had 3 very close together. Sometimes it was like musical beds on our house. You'd go asleep in your own bed and depending who'd visit during the night either of us could end up in anyone else's bed... Usually with the original visitor back with us!

It's only for a short while. (4 years or so ;) ) Do whatever works for you and whatever gets you some sort of a night's sleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Cheers bag of chips, thats the route we are most likely to follow, on the flip side he stayed with his auntie a few weeks ago so mam & dad could have a nite out and apparently he slept all nite! he isnt Stewie from family guy, I swear!

• Administrators Posts: 14,036 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I know quite a few kids who do that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

Agree with big bag of chips there, do what works for you. If you don't want others opinion you may want to doctor what info you give out. It's only for a few years and you will miss the lovely cuddles in time to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

How old is your son?

• Advertisement

Aimeee wrote: »
    Agree with big bag of chips there, do what works for you. If you don't want others opinion you may want to doctor what info you give out. It's only for a few years and you will miss the lovely cuddles in time to come.
    Thats true, after a bad day in the office, there is nothing like the greeting I get when i get home to wash it all away, in a few years it will be, " dad i need new football boots or a computer game etc". Plus he does love getting comfy as he says when its time for a snooze.

How old is your son?
    he will be 3 in october.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

I agree with the others, you have to do with what works for you and your family. If bed-hopping or bed-sharing works for you and everyone wakes up feeling refreshed, happy and adequately slept then there's nothing wrong with that.

But some tools if you do want to try getting him to stay in his own bed that should work for his age would be a star chart in combination with the Gro Clock (so you set the time that the sun comes up, if he stays in bed til the sun comes up he gets a star, he gets X amount of stars and he gets a reward). It works wonders from 2+.

Advertisement