Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small job for the next few weeks

Options
  • 02-07-2014 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello,

My wife and I are relocating to Ireland (I will work at tcd), but are unable to travel back and forth to Dublin to visit apartments. We are therefore hoping to pay for someone to visit them for us, take lots of photos so we can have a feeling for the place, and have a brief Skype chat about each one. Visits would be in or near Ballsbridge over the next few weeks.

Please [EMAIL ADDY MOD-SNIPPED][/email] PM me if you are interested and we can discuss payment and details.

thanks,
    Tom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

This doesn't meet the charter of Work and Jobs where it was first posted.

I'm going to move it to Accommodation and Property - not sure if it meets the charter there, but it might. And if it does, they can give you some advice about how realistic this idea is likely to be given the current Dublin rental market.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Its not at all realistic, no such service exists in Ireland Op is much better off imo hiring a short term serviced apartment and doing the househunting themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Stheno wrote: »
    Its not at all realistic, no such service exists in Ireland Op is much better off imo hiring a short term serviced apartment and doing the househunting themselves

Precisely. OP it's a landlords' market these days, they choose their tenants not you choosing the apartment. There's a shortage of decent rented accommodation, you need to be there yourself to meet the landlord /agency to have a chance of getting a place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

The kind of apartments you're for looking at are generally currently secured by people turning up early for the first viewing with enough cash in their hand to pay the full deposit on the spot. If they don't the next person will.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Very few landlords would be willing to let high-spec apartments for a few weeks, without charging a significantly higher rent than normal. We don't 'do' short-term lets of this nature here. There are other options- such as several hotels within walking distance of TCD- Jury's Christchurch comes to mind- which might suit you. If you talk to them- often they are willing to do a deal for you if you sign up to stay a protracted period.

As the others have said- Dublin has a massive shortage of property. The day a property becomes available- is the day it is let. You need to be physically here- and willing to pay for a property on-the-spot, if you like it- if you don't- someone else will. Its far from unusual for 20-30 people to turn up for a viewing in the more in-demand areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 petithomme

Thanks for your responses--much appreciated. I did not realize the market was so tough. So if I were to visit an apartment, and would be willing to take it right there and then, what should I do? Does it go to the first person willing to sign, or does the landlord collect applications and then chooses? And should I bring enough cash to the open house to cover deposit + first and last month of rent (that's a lot of cash to go around with...)?

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Some_randomer

Hi @petithomme, I have an apartment available for short term lets in the Christchurch area of Dublin, 10 minute walk from Stephen's Green, 15 from Dame street and Trinity. It might do as a short term solution while you search for something longer. I'll send you a pm with the details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

petithomme wrote: »
    Thanks for your responses--much appreciated. I did not realize the market was so tough. So if I were to visit an apartment, and would be willing to take it right there and then, what should I do? Does it go to the first person willing to sign, or does the landlord collect applications and then chooses? And should I bring enough cash to the open house to cover deposit + first and last month of rent (that's a lot of cash to go around with...)?

I'd be interested in a comprehensive reply to this as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I have a friend who was searching for somewhere recently in Dublin and was overwhelmed by the rental market at the moment. His workplace is casual and he showed up to the open viewing in a tshirt and trousers/jeans with a friend he was planning to rent with. They noticed the amount of people there and the number of people giving in their references and that. They decided to try and secure it right away and went back in to talk to the agent. My friend noticed on the agent's list he was noted as 'scruffy, probably student'.

Things you'll need: well dressed, references and deposit. Everything else is whether they like you or not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

petithomme wrote: »

A few thoughts.
    Rental accommodation in the Ballsbridge/Donnybrook Dublin 4 area is probably the most expensive in the city.
    A one bedroomed apartment would be averaging 1100/1200 euro per calendar month, a 2 bedroomed apartment 1400/1600.
    If I was you I would look along the Luas Green line, Milltown, to Dundrum.
    You may have a little commute but certainly Dundrum would be a very good standard of facilities, shopping, services, restaurants etc and a quick tram ride to the city centre.
    Rockfield, Southmede, Wyckham Point and Wyckham Place are good standard apartment complexes.
    To secure accommodation though you have to act fast.
    Register on Daft.ie stating which area you wish to live in and as soon as a property is listed you will get an a alert. Properties are advertised by estate agents and private landlords. A quick response to a private landlord may secure the property on a first come basis whereas the estate agents are inlclined to drag it out a bit. While you don't need to carry a lot of cash about most landlords will take an initial small deposit and have the rest transferred to their bank account on day of signing the lease.
    If you are from outside Ireland proof of identity and place of employment are usually required

• Advertisement
Advertisement