Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any advice for Cork Week Noobs?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Stheno wrote: »
    I'm being good, I've been in bed every night by ten o'clock!
    Back in the day so was I, them Cork wimmin were fierce hussies, obviously Corkmen are no better!
    ....... I also discovered the joys of "rafting" where you have to moor beside another boat, we are currently fourth in a long line of boats!
    As this is a noobs thread, I’ll point out it’s good nautical etiquette not to cross over the cabintop/foredeck. We taught a clunky German this the hard way, by stretching fishing line between mast and forestay at shin level. At least if we were going to be woken it would be by pained oaths and teutonic splashes.
    We got around the course ok, despite our GPS going overboard at the second mark (we've an ipad and other tools we also use), and had a super run on a 3 mile beat where we caught up/passed out a fair few boats.
    Great result on the run, but jeez, all we ever lost overboard was a winch handle (and we threw the culprit overboard when on the mooring to teach him a lesson!) GPS forsooth!
    Learned loads about the local conditions (think of the forty foot tidal conditions with knobs on and funny wind), had a great day as a crew, we all worked really hard together, so tomorrow it's onwards and upwards ………….So one race down and six to go, hopefully we will just get better and better…………..
    You had plenty of advance notice here about the tides. You will get better and better, great to see you enjoying yourself. Best of luck with the next races. Thanks for the posts, brings it back - like this ……….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Back in the day so was I, them Cork wimmin were fierce hussies, obviously Corkmen are no better!

As this is a noobs thread, I’ll point out it’s good nautical etiquette not to cross over the cabintop/foredeck. We taught a clunky German this the hard way, by stretching fishing line between mast and forestay at shin level. At least if we were going to be woken it would be by pained oaths and teutonic splashes.

Great result on the run, but jeez, all we ever lost overboard was a winch handle (and we threw the culprit overboard when on the mooring to teach him a lesson!) GPS forsooth!

You had plenty of advance notice here about the tides. You will get better and better, great to see you enjoying yourself. Best of luck with the next races. Thanks for the posts, brings it back - like this ……….

Sorry but feel your wrong here. It's good manners to not cross through the cockpit of another boat. So you should walk around the bow. Very annoying if the hatch is left open or someone wearing dirty shoes.

Glad to hear ppl are enjoying the week so far.
    Very sore after today. Be glad for it to lighten tomorrow.

49801 wrote: »
    Sorry but feel your wrong here. It's good manners to not cross through the cockpit of another boat. So you should walk around the bow. Very annoying if the hatch is left open or someone wearing dirty shoes.
    Correct during the day, but not at night as crew sleep under cabin-top and foredeck. It also depends on whether it is a sailing craft or a motorboat.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Another great days racing, wind was light and little of the gusts that seems to come from nowhere yesterday. Trying to use the tide to our advantage is much tougher than expected and the local boats and tacticians with local knowledge really shine through. A nod to pedroeibar1 here, you were so right.

Talking to the other boats here after the racing is great for getting tips.

Apart from getting a prize here (which is not looking to likely at this point) we were hoping to pick up a cork week 2014 flag but there are none for sale or late night acquisition.

Even after a relatively easy and short days sailing today, I am still sore. The knees do not recover as fast as they used too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'm now thoroughly confused as to the etiquette of crossing boats in a raft.... I've always gone forward of the mast, but now this appears to be (maybe, sometimes) wrong. At night, crew also sleep underneath the cockpit seats....... As if boating wasn't difficult enough on the water, never mind all these niceties when you're tied up and just trying to get to the loo :eek:

Delighted to hear that you're having good racing and a better time.

Did you ever get the green knickers sorted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭Vexorg

We were given a green flag as part of the registration pack luckily.

I was wearing the green knickers right now, I would post a pic however I do not want to upset the readers of this fine forum and especially those who may have eaten recently. I could of course post of pic of them while I am not in them but I am too sore to take them off.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Vexorg wrote: »
    We were given a green flag as part of the registration pack luckily.

I was wearing the green knickers right now, I would post a pic however I do not want to upset the readers of this fine forum and especially those who may have eaten recently. I could of course post of pic of them while I am not in them but I am too sore to take them off.

in reporting you to the skipper for wearing green knickers!

i have no pain, possibly due to cider, red wine and rum being consumed since three thirty.

my fellow crew may still be on the razz

in reporting you to the skipper for wearing green knickers!

i have no pain, possibly due to cider, red wine and rum being consumed since three thirty.

my fellow crew may still be on the razz

You mean you're not? Wuzz!!!

Told ya the sore-heads-in-the-morning would feature eventually :D

It's compulsory at CW

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    You mean you're not? Wuzz!!!

Told ya the sore-heads-in-the-morning would feature eventually :D

It's compulsory at CW

nah ill be fine in the morning and laughing at those i left behind

Great image of Vexorg after the racing - note the modest positioning of the green knickers:D

Crossing boats while rafted - It's a bit of a conundrum today the more I think about it. The earlier poster was correct about avoiding the cockpit - certainly that applies by day, but back in the past quarter berths (under the cockpit seats) were infrequent, and it was considered acceptable to cross along the stern/afterdeck which mainly do not exist anymore. Yacht design, custom & manners change. The key rule is to cross quietly, and never across a cabintop (ok, rafting mainly is for yotties and booms prevent this, but tying up alongside is regularly done by all craft in small harbours/quay walls.)

Far more considerate and polite seamanship are things like tying-off the halyards with bungee-cord, to ensure they do not slap off the mast; or the correct positioning of fenders or – particularly in rafting – getting the positioning of the mooring lines correct (and using loops under & up where possible) and not being selfish or careless of others when the raft is being broken up for racing.

• Advertisement

Good day today, tracked the wind, tide etc well, and did ok.

Baffled at some of the handicaps on boats here, we're giving one boat that is 3 foot longer and has a larger jib 2.5 minutes in the hours, just cannot figure them out!

Also finding the system of the RO calling a random course out hard work, you have to get it right, check it when they call it a second time, and then that's it for the race, no course cards to check etc.

We have course cards, but the races are way too long for whitesails to get two races in in a day, so instead about five minutes before the warning signal, we get a call over the radio announcing our course.

It gets repeated once (maybe twice if someone doesn't hear it) and may or may not be written up on a blackboard on the committee boat.

As the person responsible for knowing the course, it makes for nerve wracking stuff as you go along!

That said, it's been a super experience, fantastic venue, good craic, huge learning for me personally, and the guys I'm crewing with have been a pleasure. We've also met some fantastic people, and a couple of us have possibly bagged spots on crews for Sovereigns next year :)

And we have had fantastic weather, at times you'd think you were in the med.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Cool! you'll be delighted to hear there was more rain than wind and three bangs in the bay this evening! :(

Steve wrote: »
    Cool! you'll be delighted to hear there was more rain than wind and three bangs in the bay this evening! :(

Three bangs as in crashes? Or lightning?

Three bangs as in crashes? Or lightning?

As in sound signals from the committee vessel..

Bang bang bang = racing abandoned!

:D

Ahhh, we nearly had that today, but it was just postponed, so just the two bangs. Very light winds this morning.

So, how was the collective beer soaked heads this morning? :D

Seeing as you were the sensible one and all!

So, how was the collective beer soaked heads this morning? :D

Seeing as you were the sensible one and all!

Well, I went home about ten (I'm staying in Kinsale, so it's a bit of a drive)

The next sensible ones went home about half twelve, and the most insensible hit the sack about 4am.

Vast quantities of coffee and various energy drinks were consumed, with one poor soul needing to have a nap/snooze/hide in a dark place, after we finished with the faster boats and had to wait an hour for the slower boats to cross the line :)

No one to be fair was in a bad bad way

When Windguru was showing 0kts gusting 2 we cancelled ourselves :D

First time I think I've ever seen a 0 on windguru!

'Orrible evening!

On an entirely seperate topic, I've just done a bruise check (I've avoided it all week)

Best just to say that dressing in long sleeved tops and trousers for the next week, may reduce the horror others may be exposed to.

OMG

How weird is it that your arms and legs end up covered in bruises and you don't feel it?

I counted 18 bruises on one leg alon :eek:

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    'Orrible evening!
    We cowered below deck on the marina till we could no longer stand the wet musty smell of each other.. then went home.

Apt description. :D

How weird is it that your arms and legs end up covered in bruises and you don't feel it?

Real Sailors don't feel pain.. they just drink their way through it! :D

• Advertisement

Real Sailors don't feel pain.. they just drink their way through it! :D

I think that's what happened, I drank myself painfree yesterday :D

We were down in the village and they'd a promotion on, rum and coke for a fiver with a free tshirt saying cork week 2014.

Well they ran out of the tshirts and our skipper decided twould be a great idea for us all to have one, so we needed five.

Cue him robbing one off a hanger, someone else robbing one off somewhere, and me wandering around, beseeching people to hand over their tshirts.

I got three :D and one in reserve :D

Haha.. next you'll be telling us you woke up on a boat covered in traffic cones and Heineken bunting... not that it ever happened to me.. nosir.. nor had it anything to do with me at all. nope .. it just appeared overnight.. :D

I miss Cork week...

Haha.. next you'll be telling us you woke up on a boat covered in traffic cones and Heineken bunting... not that it ever happened to me.. nosir.. nor had it anything to do with me at all. nope .. it just appeared overnight.. :D

Nah I have the OH to drag me to the car at the point where I'm considering going on the batter :D I dispersed the goodies this morning :) One bloke just handed a tshirt over! I'd to buy two blokes a drink, fecking equality!

Sure you got catapulted around Dublin Bay last February, not that anyone would believe a spinny sheet could act like that :D

Just discovered Sovereigns next year is handily at the potential end of the Thursday DBSC series and before the DL regatta.

May be telling the skipper this :D

Sovereigns is the dogs cajones (sp?).. see you there ;)

Sovereigns is the dogs cajones (sp?).. see you there ;)

Cojones :) And a REAL sailor would say it's the dogs bol**x!

I reckon Sovereigns would be mighty craic, Kinsale is a super spot!

Cojones :) And a REAL sailor would say it's the dogs bol**x!

Jeez! Turn her loose in Cork for a few days and she starts swearing like a sailor!:D:D
    Colloquially, for a woman, the expression on having 'cojones' correctly would be "No hay huevos". Or, to quote the response from a guy I once sailed with whose decision on identifying a headland with a ruin on it was questioned "Si mi tía tuviera cojones, sería mi tío." (If my aunt had~~ she'd be my uncle')

Great to see the fun all are having in the PRC, I'm envious.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭neris

Baffled at some of the handicaps on boats here, we're giving one boat that is 3 foot longer and has a larger jib 2.5 minutes in the hours, just cannot figure them out!

welcome to the murky world and black arts of the handicaping system. what kind of boat are you giving 2.5 mins to & on which system?

neris wrote: »
    welcome to the murky world and black arts of the handicaping system. what kind of boat are you giving 2.5 mins to & on which system?

Cork week only works on IRC

So on IRC we were giving a 37.2 X yacht 2.25 mins in the hour, their handicap was higher and closer to hours, but changed.

We'd one 36.5 Benneteau giving us less than half a minute and another giving us almost 1.75 minutes!

Anyway, twas a blast, I'm home now :)

Today on the water, was one of which we shall not speak.

Overall it was a super event, I absolutely enjoyed it. The top two things about regattas for me, is 1. How much you develop as a crew, one four day regatta is like eight Thursdays or Saturdays, all at once, so you kind of embed stuff, and 2. How you start off on the first day sometimes knowing nobody, but by the second or third, after chats on the water, or before/after racing, you're getting to know people (apart from the odd obnoxious shower)

Really enjoy it.

I got chatting with a local today, and from what they were saying about the busy years, the event has really changed.

Those of you who were there in those times, might remember a shuttle bus that took you from parking to the yacht club where there was a huge tented village.

That doesn't exist now.

There is a huge car park coming into Crosshaven beside the yacht club, where the serious sailors park their big trailers, and us mere mortals simply park.

Shops wise there were about 9 outlets there this year.

Also the food and drink were good value, every boat got compliementary parking (first come/first served) in the car park, security passes for the evening for the crew, and drink vouchers for the Mon/Tues/Wed, some were discounted, some were free.

Drinks were €5 for a pint, food was decent and basic enough but a lasagne/chips or fish/chips was a tenner.

Probably sounds far different from before?

Lots of events in the village, especially Cronins

Meant to add: Best wishes to the boys currently quarter way through the thirty hour sail back to Dublin, and thanks to our crew for a super week :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement